Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian kangaroos

Tasmanian kangaroos

First let me say, that Ive been around the traps a while and experienced about everything there is to as a footy supporter. Flags, spoons, and all in between.
    The last thing I hope to see in my lifetime is the termination of the Norf Melbourne kangaroo's. They are a cancer on the competition since the early 90's.

Eddie McGuire had a brain fart recently suggesting Tassie and Norf combine into a super club.

Under McGuire’s proposition the Roos would receive:

-22 home games including 11 in Tasmania and 11 at Marvel Stadium, the latter one game less than what the Roos are fixtured to play in Melbourne this season.
    Me: You cant be half pregnant. This will alienate both sets of supporters, and disadvantage non victorian teams. No.

-$20 million upfront to have the full soft cap and go above it if required including funds to promote the game in the Apple Isle
    Me: Seems a bit low. Setting up new clubs is expensive.

-Three years of draft concessions to rebuild the list
    Me: They already have a list of Norf battlers. No concessions neccessary.

-Access to Tasmania players with a Tasmanian Academy, incentivising the club to cultivate and drive the game down south.
    Me: Yes, I'd even give them exclusive access to all tassy talent.

-Supporters would get free access to the streaming platforms
    Me: Why?

-Premium TV slots and discount on Melbourne membership and for travel to Tasmania
    Me: The AFL need to stop this practice of preferential fixturing. It only drives the in-equality in the game.

-Commercially led fixture against big teams to embrace a competition structure
    Me: See above. If you give it to one, others miss out. Dont do it.

-A festival of football in Tasmania with big events scheduled at least once a year
    Me: Go for it.

-Still be called the Kangaroos
    Me: Why? To appease a small set of supporters who have the misfortune to support a basket case club..... and alienate the tassie fans. No, No, and No.
    The numbers dont stack up. When Fitzroy got sent up to Brisbane to form a "superclub", only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the Fitzroy members stuck on after a settling in period, and 3 premierships.
    If Norf have 30,000 members (lol), only about 8000 will stick in the best case scenario. Tassie has 550,000 people. 550,000 vs 8,000 . Focus on the 550,000!

I'd make its simpler. Disband the Norf Melbourne footy club, and give their list to the new Tassie club. Tassie can also poach any off field staff they want from Norf.

Eddie on FC last night gave his Tasmanian Team proposal which involved propping up North Melbourne to be Tassie's AFL team, which won't go down well imo.

What the FoxSport link below didn't report was Eddie during his sell last night, again mentioned that COLA was a rort and lied that he wasn't against Academies!

He did mention Carlton wanting to play all their away games at the SCG back in 93 when we were on the verge going under. I recall back in 81 when South's move to Sydney was on the cards, club suggested playing all their 11 away Vic games at the Lakeside Oval, which was swiftly knocked back.

To me Eddie is now more invested that he remains relevant with these ideas rather than what's best for the competition.

AFL news 2022: Eddie McGuire plan for Tasmania to combine with North Melbourne Kangaroos, 18th team, Alastair Clarkson as coach, proposition, Footy Classified, stadium deal

Edit: Ooops sorry just realised a seperate Tasmanian Kangaroos thread was also just started if mods can please move my post to that thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by KSAS; 16th June 2022 at 12:11 PM.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It does look as though Tassie will be hosed again, the AFL will f%ck that up, just as they f%cked up football in the ACT.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 16th June 2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

The AFL should learn from the past and look at the mistakes the then VFL made when they hastily moved us to Sydney in 82. Like Eddie, the VFL sold a picture that we'll become a super club with all the instant success and big crowds which took 20 years to eventuate, nearly going under several times In the process (including private ownership). We did get there in the end but with some luck.

I don't want to see North go under for the sake of their supporters (even though I dislike them) from what I personally experienced in 81 and 93. They should be given every chance to dig themselves out. What happened to Fitzroy was a disgrace. Footscray, Hawthorn and Melbourne eventually came good when they resisted the mergers.

It's either a Tassie standalone team or none. It is a football state where it should given chance to sprout it's own team organically just like in WA & SA.

Senior Player
    There is nothing Eddie loves more than the sound of his own voice, and obviously not having the megaphone he had when he was
    the Collingwood president has been a very challenging time for him. All that aside there are some parts of his wish list that are
    worth considering.
    But firstly the AFL, the other clubs, the Tas government and Taswegians themselves have to actually decide they all want a team
    down there. Being from there, I'm a bit biased but surely if western Sydney and the Gold Coast can have a team then there
    should be one in Tassy. It is actually a footy state. The halcyon days of the 60s and 70s have passed but there are still plenty of
    people interested.
    Football goes on and on about the heritage of the game and how important it is, and yet there is no team in Tasmania.
    Yes, it will cost money. Everything does. If everyone really wants a team, then just find it.
    On this point of folding teams or moving them. It's not new. It is the nature of sporting leagues that there are always going
    to be strugglers. For a while in the AFL it's been North. And sure lots on RWO hate them because some of their supporters booed
    Adam during his last game. They did that because they are ****heads. I'm not really sure that is the club's fault. Or they hate
    North because they played some home games at the SCG 20+ years ago. Or they don't like Boomer Harvey or Wayne Carey.
    And I'm sure there will be other reasons too.
    Having said that the AFL find it very difficult to fold or move a team. It's happened twice in the last 40 years. And my understanding
    is the Tas government have made it very clear they want a new team, not a transplanted team. Let them have one.
    Last edited by KTigers; 16th June 2022 at 01:43 PM.

On the Rookie List
    I grew up in Tasmania back in the days when there was a strong statewide league. Then the AFL got hold of it, merged some clubs, rebranded others, pushed teams out of comps in favour of new teams in a different part of town. The AFL has treated Tasmanians and Tasmanian football with absolute contempt over many years.
    As KTigers mentioned above, Tasmanians need to determine whether they want a team and what form should it take. Personally, I think anything other than a newly created standalone team would be another slap in the face.

I just really hope there isn't 19 clubs. I wish we only had 16, there isn't enough top end talent for 18 teams and I selfishly enjoy a higher probability of winning with less teams.

I for one, am very pro North moving to Tasmania. They should of made North move to GC and another Vic club to GWS if they were serious about being the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I just really hope there isn't 19 clubs. I wish we only had 16, there isn't enough top end talent for 18 teams and I selfishly enjoy a higher probability of winning with less teams.

I for one, am very pro North moving to Tasmania. They should of made North move to GC and another Vic club to GWS if they were serious about being the AFL.
    I dont agree about the "lack of top end talent" argument - club recruiters might just have to stop using the current model which seems to be built around athletes rather than football players. All that needs to be adjusted with more clubs is a better spread of the very top end talent or at least a model that precludes clubs having access to all of them .

If you look at a game today compared to say forty years ago there is many more teams and the standard of all players is in my view on the whole better than that time and most certainly the bottom six players are definitely better than the teams of that time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    First let me say, that Ive been around the traps a while and experienced about everything there is to as a footy supporter. Flags, spoons, and all in between.
    The last thing I hope to see in my lifetime is the termination of the Norf Melbourne kangaroo's. They are a cancer on the competition since the early 90's.

Eddie McGuire had a brain fart recently suggesting Tassie and Norf combine into a super club.

Under McGuire’s proposition the Roos would receive:

-22 home games including 11 in Tasmania and 11 at Marvel Stadium, the latter one game less than what the Roos are fixtured to play in Melbourne this season.
    Me: You cant be half pregnant. This will alienate both sets of supporters, and disadvantage non victorian teams. No.

-$20 million upfront to have the full soft cap and go above it if required including funds to promote the game in the Apple Isle
    Me: Seems a bit low. Setting up new clubs is expensive.

-Three years of draft concessions to rebuild the list
    Me: They already have a list of Norf battlers. No concessions neccessary.

-Access to Tasmania players with a Tasmanian Academy, incentivising the club to cultivate and drive the game down south.
    Me: Yes, I'd even give them exclusive access to all tassy talent.

-Supporters would get free access to the streaming platforms
    Me: Why?

-Premium TV slots and discount on Melbourne membership and for travel to Tasmania
    Me: The AFL need to stop this practice of preferential fixturing. It only drives the in-equality in the game.

-Commercially led fixture against big teams to embrace a competition structure
    Me: See above. If you give it to one, others miss out. Dont do it.

-A festival of football in Tasmania with big events scheduled at least once a year
    Me: Go for it.

-Still be called the Kangaroos
    Me: Why? To appease a small set of supporters who have the misfortune to support a basket case club..... and alienate the tassie fans. No, No, and No.
    The numbers dont stack up. When Fitzroy got sent up to Brisbane to form a "superclub", only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the Fitzroy members stuck on after a settling in period, and 3 premierships.
    If Norf have 30,000 members (lol), only about 8000 will stick in the best case scenario. Tassie has 550,000 people. 550,000 vs 8,000 . Focus on the 550,000!

I'd make its simpler. Disband the Norf Melbourne footy club, and give their list to the new Tassie club. Tassie can also poach any off field staff they want from Norf.

Won flags in 96 and 99 and prelims in 2007 and 2014

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Should read made prelims but you get my point

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I dont agree about the "lack of top end talent" argument - club recruiters might just have to stop using the current model which seems to be built around athletes rather than football players. All that needs to be adjusted with more clubs is a better spread of the very top end talent or at least a model that precludes clubs having access to all of them .

If you look at a game today compared to say forty years ago there is many more teams and the standard of all players is in my view on the whole better than that time and most certainly the bottom six players are definitely better than the teams of that time
    You can have arguments about this stuff till the cows come home but really the players today play against other players now,
    not from 40 years ago. And vice versa. I personally prefer the style of play from the 80s and 90s to the style now. But that is
    neither here nor there as well. We have the footy now that is presented to us.
    In the end if there are 19 teams, and I think that is the most likely scenario, then 40 or so extra guys will get an opportunity
    to play in the AFL. Whether there are 720 players or 760 in total won't make a difference talent-wise.
    Basically someone (the Tasmanian team) has to find the $50M a year it takes to run a team. Put simply, $20M from the AFL
    (there are already four teams receiving more than $20M a year from the AFL, what's another one), $15M from the Tas government
    and the last $15M from Tassie sponsors and game ticket buyers/members.
    This shouldn't be hard IF everyone buys in. Everyone just has to want it enough. Time will tell whether they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Should read made prelims but you get my point
    On field good, but due to draft and cap, everyone gets a good crack every 10 years or so.

Off field they have been a disaster. They are a basket case as a stand alone victorian club. They have had some great opportunities to cement themselves over the years. They were given these options:
    1) Work their but off to establish a bigger Melbourne presence. Did they?, No.
    2) Take up the lucrative offers of relocation to high growth areas. Did they?. No.
    3) Make half assed efforts to take the cash from away games in growth areas, while doing nothing long term. Did they? Yes.

Why the AFL let them chose 3 is poor leadership, and damaged the areas they went to, including Sydney.

Tassy gets a lot of publicity, but the reality is that a 3rd team in Perth makes more economic, and player distribution sense.
    Its got the population, and the commercial support necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast