Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 Pre-Match Thread, vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing on Rampe's performance, but I think the reason he is still being asked to play on tall defenders is they like to place P McCartin on a less threatening option so he can float, mark and release kick more.
    Definitely looks like this and this may be the reason Gould is not getting games as Paddy is playing a very similar role to him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I agree about Campbell but Stephens is becoming a real worry. After watching a few reserves games he has no problem with getting the ball and working hard, and there is no doubt he's an elite runner, but his disposal is so bad. I know Ryan Clarke has his papers stamped but he'd be a much better (and similar) attribute to the seniors than Stephens. I'm starting to doubt if Stephens will even make it as an AFL player.

@mcs I agree about HHK, I was more getting at the fact that Horse seems to have favourites who he favours of those who are deserving of a 2-3 game run in the seniors.
    I actually think Clarke has polished up his disposals . It may just be the fact he has extra time in the two’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I actually think Clarke has polished up his disposals . It may just be the fact he has extra time in the two’s

I think with Kennedy's absence (and form drop) and Mills needing to play some more minutes in defence the last few weeks, having another hard nut older midfielder like Clarke in the seniors could help us. I wouldn't be that upset if Clarke got a crack at the seniors. He runs hard, racks up numbers, can tag and as you point out - has improved his disposal efficiency.

However its' hard to see who he'd replace in the team, Rowbottom would be the most obvious but he's been good this year (careful not to open a can of worms here). Another option would be Florent who played well against the Dees but whilst his role would be different to Clarke's, has definitely not progressed as many of us here would of hoped. Finally, he could come in for Wicks, with Papley to spend more time up forward and less in the middle.
    Last edited by longmile; 20th June 2022 at 02:20 PM.

Senior Player
    I think with Kennedy's absence (and form drop) and Mills needing to play some more minutes in defence the last few weeks, having another hard nut older midfielder like Clarke in the seniors could help us. I wouldn't be that upset if Clarke got a crack at the seniors. He runs hard, racks up numbers, can tag and as you point out - has improved his disposal efficiency.

However its' hard to see who he'd replace in the team, Rowbottom would be the most obvious but he's been good this year (careful not to open a can of worms here). Another option would be Florent who played well against the Dees but whilst his role would be different to Clarke's, has definitely not progressed as many of us here would of hoped. Finally, he could come in for Wicks, with Papley to spend more time up forward and less in the middle.
    Went to the game v Melbourne. Thought Florent was great down back, especially when game was on the line.

"Team Outs : Coaching: Longmire, can never see a veteran is past it and keeps playing them over younger players
    : Jake Lloyd; if he didn't take a few kick in, would he have had zero possessions? Really drop off a cliff
    : COR, love the guy, but he isn't an AFL players, too many mistakes and missed tackles: give Fox an extended period
    : Wicks: he stood still but didn't see the Port players moving into space too mark around him, too many mistakes and missed tackles

Team In : Amartey, played really well against Melbourne, but was dropped
    : Fox, he can play, we don't use him, why
    : Stephens, why not, he must be hungry.
    : Gould, for gods sake, give him a go! didn't we trade up to get him! He would be better than Lloyd"

4 Outs and 4 Ins

Who gets the coaching gig replacing Longmire?

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Most teams this year have struggled with stopping momentum and we have been very consistently inconsistent in this aspect. I think it has to do with our midfield and how well they create numbers in our defensive half when the opposition get their hands on the footy. We need players like Gulden and JMac the ones who are blessed with endurance to come and help out as well as Mills for the obvious reasons. The moment it is one on one we struggle which is so different than our bygone era. The way we play at the back, we don’t want Paddy to play on a talls. And Rampe is up and down with how he plays the talls depending on the pressure on the kicker in the midfield.
    Wicks is the extra number in the midfield and pressure tackler in the forward half and he seems to not bring this at all to the table through this year. If the pressure on halfbacks is not good we get exposed in defensive half due to how fast it comes there. I reckon we get our selections and our pressure player composition right we would be fine.
    Essendon stopped Jack sinclair and Brad Hill well and they got their pressure in the midfield right. Saints are a quality side all across the park with the 3 m marking Max King. If we let them kick to his advantage he may kick a bag on us. And so will Paddy Ryder
    Out - Ladhams, Wicks, C Oriordan
    In - Hickey, Ronke, Fox
    Very astute comments. There's a crescendo effect that follows from not stopping the opposition halfbacks. Once the play goes on for awhile they drift forward and find space just inside our defensive zone and create scoring opportunities. So we need to work on shutting down these type of players, as you have noted that Essendon did on Hill and Sinclair.

Your remarks on the midfielders helping out in defence is also something we need to work on. We are having so many problems once the ball hits the ground. We seem to be second to the ball too often and the opposition always have loose players around to shark the ball and snap a goal. Rowbottom, Warner and Gulden all need to do more in our defensive zone. I think it has more to do with training and experience than ability. Even though I've recommended moving Lloyd out of defence, he does a lot to clean up the mess for us. Perhaps we should look to making Ollie a permanent part of the defence with a look toward building a synergy down the road, Blood Fever might agree with this one too.

I think Paddy needs to play a true KPD role. Rampe can't handle it. Maybe Tom goes to King an Paddy take the resting ruckman, a tall task for both. Rampe should go one on one with Membrey, who has a big tank and will run him up and down the ground. I don't know how Gould would go in this sort of a setup. He could try to play the role that Mills has been filling in when things go sour.

Regular in the Side
    The thread titled Round 13 while this will be actually a Round 15 match.
    Horse was bold enough to play ROK in the reserves in his final years. He is after a whole team balance.

Campbell absolutely must come in this week. Should never have been dropped in the first place.

In: Fox, Hickey, Campbell, Ronke
    Out: COR, Wicks, Ladhams, Lloyd

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Went to the game v Melbourne. Thought Florent was great down back, especially when game was on the line.
    So they bring back an unfit Cunningham to the position that Ollie had picked up really well. It appears he had found his spot but just got spat out by coaching/ selection conservatism.

Out Ladhams, Cunningham, Lloyd, COR, Wicks
    In Hickey, Campbell, Fox, HHK Gould up forward, Amartey

The last 2 years they have been building speed and youth yet now have defaulted to the old conservative selection.

Get Jmac off the half back and let him regain his flare. They are trying to make a sow's ear out of silk purse. Don't try to make him something he is not. He is restricted for space on the HBF. It failed with Hewett and Kennedy and they keep making the same mistakes.

One of Cunningham or Lloyd have to go. They are both similar players who just kick the pill to nowhere. Get Ollie back into Cunningham's spot. He has way more hardness than those 2 blokes combined.

We are on the edge of the cliff and selecting olds and bolds will not turn this around. Show some balls at selection. If Wicks keeps his spot they are not serious.

I agree about Campbell but Stephens is becoming a real worry. After watching a few reserves games he has no problem with getting the ball and working hard, and there is no doubt he's an elite runner, but his disposal is so bad. I know Ryan Clarke has his papers stamped but he'd be a much better (and similar) attribute to the seniors than Stephens. I'm starting to doubt if Stephens will even make it as an AFL player.

@mcs I agree about HHK, I was more getting at the fact that Horse seems to have favourites who he favours, instead of giving players who have showed form in the reserves a 3+ game run in the seniors to build confidence and prove themselves.
    We need to make changes as current team is not able to sustain 4 quarters of pressure football. Of course, it’s not possible to shut down the opposition completely, but runs of 6+ goals conceded in a quarter won’t win many games.

Hickey is needed in the ruck with support from Sammy until Ladhams comes back after a stint in the ressies. Campbell should be in to gain experience and Clarke deserves another chance. Amartey needs to play a few more games so he can be assessed properly as does Gould. I haven’t written the season off but realistically we’re not top 4 yet and finishing in the 8 may mean just making up the numbers. Much rather use the rest of the games to improve our structure and play the lads in their best positions- and please don’t play Wicks until he shows he can consistently be in our best 6 in the two’s.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The thread titled Round 13 while this will be actually a Round 15 match.
    Horse was bold enough to play ROK in the reserves in his final years. He is after a whole team balance.
    Doesn't look like that on team structure and hole plugging. He didn't do it with Kennedy and it could be argued ROK was in better form. Too many favourites; Hayward, Wicks, Lloyd and Cunningham. We won't win a flag with those blokes playing.

On the veteran's list
    Stephens is becoming a real worry. After watching a few reserves games he has no problem with getting the ball and working hard, and there is no doubt he's an elite runner, but his disposal is so bad. I know Ryan Clarke has his papers stamped but he'd be a much better (and similar) attribute to the seniors than Stephens. I'm starting to doubt if Stephens will even make it as an AFL player.
    Horse just mentioned Stephens in his presser. Just has some things to work on because they know he has high end talent.

The gap between VFL and AFL is a yawning chasm which explains why Clarke looks good at a level down but is diabolical under the real heat of AFL where opponents go just as hard and he gets half the amount of time to think.

I get the feeling from what Longmire said, that with the exception of Hickey there won't be a lot of changes since over the last block of games the blokes playing have done a good job.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast