Thread: Vale: Noel McMahen

Vale: Noel McMahen

Terribly 😢 sad to hear of the recent passing of former South Melbourne coach (& Melbourne 3 time premiership player) Noel McMahen at the age of 95 in his Camberwell nursing home.

Noel coached the Swans from 1962-64, and although he enjoyed just 9 wins from 54 games, he remained in contact with the club ever since.

My 💐condolences 🌷to Noel’s family, friends and those who are known to him at the Swans and Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Terribly 😢 sad to hear of the recent passing of former South Melbourne coach (& Melbourne 3 time premiership player) Noel McMahen at the age of 95 in his Camberwell nursing home.

Noel coached the Swans from 1962-64, and although he enjoyed just 9 wins from 54 games, he remained in contact with the club ever since.

My 💐condolences 🌷to Noel’s family, friends and those who are known to him at the Swans and Demons.
    My first game was one of those 9 wins, against Fitzroy at the Brunswick Street Oval in 1962. My dad chose wisely: I was hooked, and I still am. Watching Bobby Skilton kick 7 goals was an indescribable thrill.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

Thanks for posting goswannies - was unaware that he had passed. My condolences, too, to Noel's family and friends.

A Swannies friend of mine was proudly telling me just a few days ago that she had come into possession of a VFL Footy Record of a game between South Melbourne and Melbourne where South were being coached by Noel and Melbourne were being coached by Norm Smith!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    My first game was one of those 9 wins, against Fitzroy at the Brunswick Street Oval in 1962. My dad chose wisely: I was hooked, and I still am. Watching Bobby Skilton kick 7 goals was an indescribable thrill.
    Brilliant! 7 goals from Bobby? That would have had me hooked too!