Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 vs St Kilda @ SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    My favourite Errol sequence of the match, started with him trying to lay a tackle on Steele in our left back pocket. Steele possibly should have been done for holding the ball, but eventually got a handball away. Errol then picked himself up and applied second and third efforts, that resulted in a scrambled St Kilda kick for a behind. The ensuing kick in was the one where Blakey drove it just over a Saint to find Hickey in the corridor. Hickey then quickly shuffles the ball to Reid, who then shuffles it Mills. While that's going on, you can just see Errol moving down the far wing. Mills then hits Campbell with a kick to the right edge of the forward 50. When Campbell rapidly reels around, you can now spot Errol moving down the opposite half forward flank. When Campbell's kick is in the air, Errol reaches the forward pocket, then sprints back towards the ball in flight, to fly for a pack mark. He doesn't take the mark, but Buddy roves the spill and goals. Amazing!!
    Brilliant - have just returned from overseas so took the opportunity to watch the fabulous Dees victory today - there are similar episodes on that game as well (but not as superbly captured as you've managed!).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    i was sticking up for one of ours from a comment i thought was nasty . Ludwig explained himself , end of
    I just want to add something. If you've followed my comments over the years, you know that I'm a huge Beatson fan and rarely take exception to his selections. I stuck with Matt Ling to very end when he was delisted. I have been totally in support of the Stephens draft selection and have not been one of those who have lamented about not taking Serong. I think Stephens had the right profile to fit in with the Swans game plan. I'm a solid Stephens fan, albeit one who has been concerted with his VFL form and wondering how it gets fixed up. I'm looking for every little angle that might make it all happen and we can see Stephens reach his potential as a footballer. It simply doesn't follow from my history with Stephens that I would make anything close to a nasty comment about him.

Rest assured that we are both on the side of Stephens and hope for a productive and long career at the Swans. Love Chad and JMac as well.I know we have some players we might disagree on, but these 3 are not on that list.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I just want to add something. If you've followed my comments over the years, you know that I'm a huge Beatson fan and rarely take exception to his selections. I stuck with Matt Ling to very end when he was delisted. I have been totally in support of the Stephens draft selection and have not been one of those who have lamented about not taking Serong. I think Stephens had the right profile to fit in with the Swans game plan. I'm a solid Stephens fan, albeit one who has been concerted with his VFL form and wondering how it gets fixed up. I'm looking for every little angle that might make it all happen and we can see Stephens reach his potential as a footballer. It simply doesn't follow from my history with Stephens that I would make anything close to a nasty comment about him.

Rest assured that we are both on the side of Stephens and hope for a productive and long career at the Swans. Love Chad and JMac as well.I know we have some players we might disagree on, but these 3 are not on that list.
    Ok , sorry for misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You're getting upset over nothing. Just hypothetically, suppose there were 6 players that your rated roughly equal 7th BOG, thus up for a single coaches' vote: Stephens, Chad, Gulden, Mills, Hickey and Heeney. As a coach,why wouldn't you give the vote to the one who has been struggling in the VFL as a confidence booster? I think it's smart coaching and understanding your players. Remember that Stephens was only selected because JMac went out for H&S protocols, so a confidence booster makes a lot of sense for me. Why not use the vote to help a struggling player feel better about himself? I noted during the game that Stephens looked really stoked to be in the side and was really up for the game. A good coach has to find the right mix of encouragement and criticism to get the best out of players. It's not about doing anyone a favour. My comment was not about Stephens, but rather a compliment to Longmire. For all I know, Ratten gave the vote to Stephens.
    It makes excellent sense to me .

Senior Player
    Stephens played well. And yes, he looked like a footballer, not an out of place kid. I hope he stays in and repeats the effort
    against Essendon. What's the expression? Give me effort and determination over talent any day.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Brilliant - have just returned from overseas so took the opportunity to watch the fabulous Dees victory today - there are similar episodes on that game as well (but not as superbly captured as you've managed!).
    Yes, I remember that there were a couple of examples in that game, were I thought, "hang on, wasn't he at the other end of the ground a few seconds ago?"

And I thought his efforts in the fourth quarter were a real captain’s knock; from possibly the youngest player on the field.

Veterans List
    Well it was disparaging . He isnt a charity case , Longmire wouldnt think of him as one either . Hes a damn good player who worked his butt off , gave us constant run and link up by hands . Had the 4th most touches for us and 8 of them were contested ! More touches than any of those you mentioned . Dont chalk up what was a well deserved bit of recognition for his role in our win to a "confidence boost " Spare me.
    Settle down TB.....you're just being stubborn. Ludwig made a fair point....lighten up a bit.

Do you actually disagree that Stephens has not been playing with confidence.....and getting a vote that could well have gone to another would not give him a boost?

I'm sure he already knew he had a good game.....his main aim for his sudden chance in the firsts would have been simply to make the most of it.....and the coaches vote would only validate this fact in his mind.

It's all good.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Settle down TB.....you're just being stubborn. Ludwig made a fair point....lighten up a bit.

Do you actually disagree that Stephens has not been playing with confidence.....and getting a vote that could well have gone to another would not give him a boost?

I'm sure he already knew he had a good game.....his main aim for his sudden chance in the firsts would have been simply to make the most of it.....and the coaches vote would only validate this fact in his mind.

It's all good.
    He got the vote because he deserved the vote and was better than those who didnt get votes .

Veterans List
    He got the vote because he deserved the vote and was better than those who didnt get votes .
    .....and it will give him confidence. As I said, all good.
    Last edited by liz; 29th June 2022 at 12:38 AM. Reason: If you have a question about moderation, use PM.

Does anyone know what the Zac Jones aka The Sniper received for his dog-hit on Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Does anyone know what the Zac Jones aka The Sniper received for his dog-hit on Parker?
    Let off, because they ruled that he was more or less stationary and just holding his ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Let off, because they ruled that he was more or less stationary and just holding his ground.
    I thought Zak Jones braced bump on Parker was similar to Rowbottom on Shiel, who copped a week's suspension. Only difference being Rowbottom had ran past the ball at speed after being pushed into the contest, but the degree of impact was the same. Shiel did bounce back up a lot quicker than Parker!