The Coaches' votes:

10 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
    7 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    7 Nick Blakey (SYD)
    2 Tom Papley (SYD)
    2 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
    1 Dylan Stephens (SYD)

I had the same top 3. I'm sure Longmire gave a vote to Stephens as a confidence booster. I doubt he's going to be dropped after this.

Everyone likes JMac and Longmire likes Harry, so both are a good chance to get selected, but it will tough to drop Campbell or Clarke. I can't see Fox being dropped after such a strong game. He's also a better match for Jake Stringer than Harry, if it comes down to that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Interesting that Stephens got a vote from the coaches - the other 1pt was for Tom Mccartin so assuming that was Longmire giving the point to Stephens?

Also on a side note what happened with the umpiring - I don’t ever remember a game with a free kick count so lopsided in our favour. Have we changed our disposal / tackling technique?
    Here it is in full:

Sydney v St Kilda
    10 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
    7 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    7 Nick Blakey (SYD)
    2 Tom Papley (SYD)
    2 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
    1 Dylan Stephens (SYD)

Also interested in which coach gave him that vote. Suspect his first vote? Anyway: well done!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Coaches' votes:

10 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
    7 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    7 Nick Blakey (SYD)
    2 Tom Papley (SYD)
    2 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
    1 Dylan Stephens (SYD)

I had the same top 3. I'm sure Longmire gave a vote to Stephens as a confidence booster. I doubt he's going to be dropped after this.

Everyone likes JMac and Longmire likes Harry, so both are a good chance to get selected, but it will tough to drop Campbell or Clarke. I can't see Fox being dropped after such a strong game. He's also a better match for Jake Stringer than Harry, if it comes down to that.
    Thats a bit rude . Confidence booster ? How about he just played a great game and was key in the win so deserved the vote .

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I don’t think he played as well as Gulden, Hickey or Fox.. I can see why the coaches would throw a 50/50 vote his way given his apparent lack of confidence at times.

He played well but wasn’t clearly in line for votes imo

Senior Player
    I don’t think he played as well as Gulden, Hickey or Fox.. I can see why the coaches would throw a 50/50 vote his way given his apparent lack of confidence at times.

Yeah, when I reflected on who I thought would garner votes (before clicking on the link) those three came to mind ahead of Stephens.

Veteran Site Admin

Or Mills for that matter who, as normal, was the fulcrum in midfield around which the rest worked but who is a victim of his own high standards when it comes to adjudging the best.

Gulden's game hasn't attracted the plaudits it deserves. I've watched two full replays now, and it's amazing how many of the blink-and-you'll miss-it-how-did-they-get-the-ball-moving-there? moments involved him.

Campbell was also much better value than his possession count suggests (though I'm not suggesting he was vote worthy).

It's going to be very tricky to pick a team this week (for good reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thats a bit rude . Confidence booster ? How about he just played a great game and was key in the win so deserved the vote .
    I didn't mean it disparagingly. I thought he played well, but there were several other players I would have given the edge to on merit, like Mills, Gulden, Fox and Hickey. 1 vote is meaningless for those guys, so it makes sense to give the vote to Stephens as a confidence booster. I would do that if I were in Longmire's position. Once he feels that he really belongs in the seniors, we should see more confident and consistent outings from him. His VFL performances were troubling and hard to figure, so it's good to see how well he stepped up in the Saints game.

Just looking ahead a bit and thinking Blakey, JMac, Gulden, Campbell, Stephens and HHK form an incredible group of very quick runners with great kicks, including 4 left footers. We should be a very exciting team to watch.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 27th June 2022 at 07:41 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Or Mills for that matter who, as normal, was the fulcrum in midfield around which the rest worked but who is a victim of his own high standards when it comes to adjudging the best.

Gulden's game hasn't attracted the plaudits it deserves. I've watched two full replays now, and it's amazing how many of the blink-and-you'll miss-it-how-did-they-get-the-ball-moving-there? moments involved him.

Campbell was also much better value than his possession count suggests (though I'm not suggesting he was vote worthy).

Two full replays Liz, nice work :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an unchanged side this week.

10 votes Jake Lloyd - is this the same Lloyd that a handful of posters seem happy to let go under FA in exchange for a pick in the late 30's? Or do we have another less valuable Lloyd on our list that I've missed?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

My favourite Errol sequence of the match, started with him trying to lay a tackle on Steele in our left back pocket. Steele possibly should have been done for holding the ball, but eventually got a handball away. Errol then picked himself up and applied second and third efforts, that resulted in a scrambled St Kilda kick for a behind. The ensuing kick in was the one where Blakey drove it just over a Saint to find Hickey in the corridor. Hickey then quickly shuffles the ball to Reid, who then shuffles it Mills. While that's going on, you can just see Errol moving down the far wing. Mills then hits Campbell with a kick to the right edge of the forward 50. When Campbell rapidly reels around, you can now spot Errol moving down the opposite half forward flank. When Campbell's kick is in the air, Errol reaches the forward pocket, then sprints back towards the ball in flight, to fly for a pack mark. He doesn't take the mark, but Buddy roves the spill and goals. Amazing!!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I didn't mean it disparagingly. I thought he played well, but there were several other players I would have given the edge to on merit, like Mills, Gulden, Fox and Hickey. 1 vote is meaningless for those guys, so it makes sense to give the vote to Stephens as a confidence booster. I would do that if I were in Longmire's position. Once he feels that he really belongs in the seniors, we should see more confident and consistent outings from him. His VFL performances were troubling and hard to figure, so it's good to see how well he stepped up in the Saints game.

Just looking ahead a bit and thinking Blakey, JMac, Gulden, Campbell, Stephens and HHK form an incredible group of very quick runners with great kicks, including 4 left footers. We should be a very exciting team to watch.
    Well it was disparaging . He isnt a charity case , Longmire wouldnt think of him as one either . Hes a damn good player who worked his butt off , gave us constant run and link up by hands . Had the 4th most touches for us and 8 of them were contested ! More touches than any of those you mentioned . Dont chalk up what was a well deserved bit of recognition for his role in our win to a "confidence boost " Spare me.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    My favourite Errol sequence of the match, started with him trying to lay a tackle on Steele in our left back pocket. Steele possibly should have been done for holding the ball, but eventually got a handball away. Errol then picked himself up and applied second and third efforts, that resulted in a scrambled St Kilda kick for a behind. The ensuing kick in was the one where Blakey drove it just over a Saint to find Hickey in the corridor. Hickey then quickly shuffles the ball to Reid, who then shuffles it Mills. While that's going on, you can just see Errol moving down the far wing. Mills then hits Campbell with a kick to the right edge of the forward 50. When Campbell rapidly reels around, you can now spot Errol moving down the opposite half forward flank. When Campbell's kick is in the air, Errol reaches the forward pocket, then sprints back towards the ball in flight, to fly for a pack mark. He doesn't take the mark, but Buddy roves the spill and goals. Amazing!!
    Fantastic recount!

It was a pity he didn't hold on - it was a spectacular leap.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I hadn't linked the whole sequence together in my mind, but I did chuckle when one of the commentators (Carey, I think) suggested that Buddy shouldn't be going for pack marks but, rather, staying down and crumbing and I realised the Swan who had created the contest from which Buddy crumbed the goal was the shortest guy on the team.