Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 16 vs Essendon Bombers @ MCG - Pre-Game Thread

Rd 16 vs Essendon Bombers @ MCG - Pre-Game Thread

It's always more difficult to suggest changes after a great win.

1. For me, Fox must stay in. He just makes us better. I'm worried that the match committee just don't agree for some reason.

2. I was so happy (maybe relieved) that Stephens has such an improved performance. I still think he lacks that confident, competitive edge though. I'm not sure if he needs to stay in firsts to gain that or dominate in the VFL. Either way, I trust McInerney more and so would prefer he comes in.

3. Campbell showed some good things but went missing at other times. I'm happy to give him more time playing the high half forward role.

4. Clarke may have finally found his place as a negating forward. Half backs are so important nowadays and Clarke has the ability to lock down while also gathering enough himself.

In summary:

In: McInerney
    Out: Stephens

Suspended by the MRP
    Jmac straight in , Dyl stays

Senior Player
    I'm very excited for this game because, after years of promising the kids that I'll take them to see the Swans in Melbourne one day - barring travel and COVID issues - we will be there! First ever time at the MCG.

Is level 1 section M29 Swans-friendly territory? I'm not too concerned if it isn't, but would be great if it is.

I'm really too excited to worry much over team changes I just hope whoever plays maintains the intensity from the Saints game and we don't get a post-victory slump, coupled with the Bombers having a better day than usual.

I'd like to give Stephens another crack after his best game in both AFL/VFL. Hopefully McInerney is ready to come back, but I'm in no rush to bring in Cunningham - I think our back 6/7 looked very balanced, albeit against average opposition. Amartey should be given an opportunity after some strong ressies form, whether he comes in for Reid or McDonald is a coin toss, but Reid is in career best form and as a young KPF perhaps McDonald could do with a rest.

OUT: McDonald (rested), Campbell (omitted)
    IN: Amartey, McInerney

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    McDonald will have the word managed rather than rested. They have to find a way to bring Amartey into the side. Two brilliant performances in the VFL needs to be rewarded.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'd be happy with this, but also would not be upset with NO CHANGE. Actually, recalling the incredible continuity we had at the back end of 2005, perhaps a few more 'No Changes' would be welcome.

Veterans List
    Don't touch the backline, was huge against the Saints. Do not drop Fox! Harry must play VFL.

Essendon don't defend very well, Buddy, Reid, McDonald, Heeney, Paps will enjoy themselves.

Only change would be JMac provided he is 100% fit as he's been down on form prior to his missed game/bye. If he's not 100%, give him more time off to recover properly. Stephens should stay in meaning Campbell is the unlucky one if JMac returns..

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'd like to give Stephens another crack after his best game in both AFL/VFL. Hopefully McInerney is ready to come back, but I'm in no rush to bring in Cunningham - I think our back 6/7 looked very balanced, albeit against average opposition. Amartey should be given an opportunity after some strong ressies form, whether he comes in for Reid or McDonald is a coin toss, but Reid is in career best form and as a young KPF perhaps McDonald could do with a rest.

If there aren't any fitness issues, this looks fine to me as well. I think I posted in another thread that I thought it would be good for McDonald to get a few weeks in the VFL just to let him play as the #1 forward instead of the #3 forward, as he does in the AFL.

If Clarke takes on a similar role in the Essendon game, it would mean that he tags Nick HInd, who is super quick. Clarke would have to physically impose himself to keep him in check.

I'd also be happy with any 3 out of these 6: Campbell, Stephens, Clarke, JMac, Cunningham, Ronke.

We have around 27 or so players who can play at AFL level.

Veterans List
    No change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If there aren't any fitness issues, this looks fine to me as well. I think I posted in another thread that I thought it would be good for McDonald to get a few weeks in the VFL just to let him play as the #1 forward instead of the #3 forward, as he does in the AFL.

If Clarke takes on a similar role in the Essendon game, it would mean that he tags Nick HInd, who is super quick. Clarke would have to physically impose himself to keep him in check.

I'd also be happy with any 3 out of these 6: Campbell, Stephens, Clarke, JMac, Cunningham, Ronke.

We have around 27 or so players who can play at AFL level.
    Would be harsh to drop Clarke.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    It's always more difficult to suggest changes after a great win.

1. For me, Fox must stay in. He just makes us better. I'm worried that the match committee just don't agree for some reason.

2. I was so happy (maybe relieved) that Stephens has such an improved performance. I still think he lacks that confident, competitive edge though. I'm not sure if he needs to stay in firsts to gain that or dominate in the VFL. Either way, I trust McInerney more and so would prefer he comes in.

3. Campbell showed some good things but went missing at other times. I'm happy to give him more time playing the high half forward role.

4. Clarke may have finally found his place as a negating forward. Half backs are so important nowadays and Clarke has the ability to lock down while also gathering enough himself.

In summary:

In: McInerney
    Out: Stephens
    Campbell had about 75% game time, so if he is on and off it is hard to get into the rhythm of the game. Particularly if he is being used in different positions.

Suspended by the MRP
    Cant believe what a slap in the face to Jmac so many not wanting him back . He is fantastic , hasnt been at his best but is still key to the way we play , have we forgot how he won us the game against NM ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Cant believe what a slap in the face to Jmac so many not wanting him back . He is fantastic , hasnt been at his best but is still key to the way we play , have we forgot how he won us the game against NM ?
    Barring RB, who won't be dropped (and you know it), who would make way for JMac? I agree he should come back in....so my pick is Campbell out. Stephens and Fox can't be dropped after their performances. Hard to drop anyone after such a good team effort.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast