Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The final countdown - 3 games remaining

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    But we can also make top four with a draw vs the Pies and then a win against the Saints given Brisbane and Melbourne have to play each other.
    We could make top 4 if we only win one of our 2 games - the most likely scenario is if saints beat lions at marvel, then lions beat dee's at the gabba. Both possible however odds more likely to finish 5th.

I think we will be in the Top 4
    The more pertinent question for me is what is the Achilles heel for us to be Top 4 or to reach the Grand final.
    Geelong look the best playing a much better brand of football with good overall offence, midfield and defence but even they looked circumspect in the second Quarter last week. With excellent double tagging by St Kilda.
    Melbourne have their game back last couple of weeks and if they continue on this trajectory for the next 2 weeks, they are formidable. However, they are not as in sync as they were in defence and or in linking into f50 as last year. Remember they were losing that grand final till half time. Dogs were poor in that third quarter.
    Collingwood are built on character and pressure and efficiency in f50 but all can be undone by one average quarter as they are barely beating teams despite their best efforts. They are giving opposition enough looks it is just if the opposition teams are able to keep making right decisions getting into their defensive 50 and how the opposition structure behind the ball.
    Brisbane are offensively good but you shut down a few players in the middle and front, they fall apart. They are defensively a mess.
    Fremantle are too dependent on their defence and even if they won against the dogs, their ball movement is predictable and poor. With Taberner down, they may not have enough of a forward line.
    Richmond are playing what suits them - chaos football and are probably better at the contest then they were in their premiership years but their defence is average. And they are heavily dependent on all their stars playing. They have the personnel to cause problems in the finals.

Our problems include
    Contested possessions and contest work - which we have fixed last few weeks but may need to still get even better in the finals. When Essendon got hold of us they were great at transitioning from Contest and getting ball out and then efficient with their ball use.
    Ruck work and Clearance - I think we have to probably go up a notch with our Ruck work if we were to win a final. We are rolling through a lot of players in the centre bounce and our centre clearance work last few weeks has been good and we would be prepared but so would be the competitors.
    Personnel - We are lucky to have our best 22 available last few weeks and fingers crossed, we would stay healthy come September. Health is the number one factor going into September. Callum Mills got injured last year and off went our chances.
    Defence - Nick Larkey got hold of Tom McCartin and it is very possible that the good opposition forwards may do the same in the finals. It is probably the pressure on the opposition kicking into f50 that will prevent this from happening but it is the midfield that has to work hard to prevent easy kicks.

Looking like there's a fair chance we'll play the Demons week 1 of the finals in a qualifier for a prelim. I fancy our chances against the Dees, I'd be happy with that. Then, if we're good enough, perhaps Geelong in the granny. I know I'm getting far ahead of where we are - but I'm not a player or coach so it's ok!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Looking like there's a fair chance we'll play the Demons week 1 of the finals in a qualifier for a prelim. I fancy our chances against the Dees, I'd be happy with that. Then, if we're good enough, perhaps Geelong in the granny. I know I'm getting far ahead of where we are - but I'm not a player or coach so it's ok!
    Jeez! One week at a time BS. Don’t go tempting fate

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567