Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Oh groan, we're in a bunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Although there is talk that North are about to sack their coach, so maybe they'll be fired up?

The next game of Suns v Tigers should be a lot more interesting. Hopefully the Suns will do us a favour.
    Be great to see GC knock them off. They’ve lost their last 2 by less than a goal &, as a result, are now amongst the also-rans for the season.

Spots 3-9 are up for grabs & Richmond could bump us down if they keep winning. C’mon Stewie - get them fired up!

Interestingly, we’re up against 3 of those teams vying for those spots, so lots of 8 point games coming up. (4 before last night - & it was a wonderful thing to sit through despite the cold)

The other danger is (based on recent form) dropping the bundle against Crows, GWS and even Norf. We know we’re capable of beating anyone - but also of having a howler.

Senior Player
    Although there is talk that North are about to sack their coach, so maybe they'll be fired up?

The next game of Suns v Tigers should be a lot more interesting. Hopefully the Suns will do us a favour.
    The St Kilda-Fremantle game is huge too. Fremantle hold the most gettable spot in the top 4.

A St Kilda win would mean we'd overtake Fremantle with a win against them in Perth next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Be great to see GC knock them off. They’ve lost their last 2 by less than a goal &, as a result, are now amongst the also-rans for the season.

Spots 3-9 are up for grabs & Richmond could bump us down if they keep winning. C’mon Stewie - get them fired up!

Interestingly, we’re up against 3 of those teams vying for those spots, so lots of 8 point games coming up. (4 before last night - & it was a wonderful thing to sit through despite the cold)

The other danger is (based on recent form) dropping the bundle against Crows, GWS and even Norf. We know we’re capable of beating anyone - but also of having a howler.
    As a New Orleans Saints fan, I'm reminded of a truism about some of the Sean Peyton coached teams over the years. Which was, they had an offence that could beat anyone and a defence that could lose to anyone. We're sort of similar, in that, if we apply defensive heat, then the slick ball movement will beat anyone. If the pressure isn't there, then us fans are left wondering why we thought the team was so good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The St Kilda-Fremantle game is huge too. Fremantle hold the most gettable spot in the top 4.

A St Kilda win would mean we'd overtake Fremantle with a win against them in Perth next week.
    Yes, the win last night has changed how I'm viewing the Saints v Dockers game. Originally I thought a Dockers win w

- - - Updated - - -

... a Dockers win would be preferable, because it'd lessen the chance of the Saints overtaking us. Now I want a Saints win, as the Dockers now seem catchable

Veteran Site Admin
    As a New Orleans Saints fan, I'm reminded of a truism about some of the Sean Peyton coached teams over the years. Which was, they had an offence that could beat anyone and a defence that could lose to anyone. We're sort of similar, in that, if we apply defensive heat, then the slick ball movement will beat anyone. If the pressure isn't there, then us fans are left wondering why we thought the team was so good.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the win last night has changed how I'm viewing the Saints v Dockers game. Originally I thought a Dockers win w

- - - Updated - - -

... a Dockers win would be preferable, because it'd lessen the chance of the Saints overtaking us. Now I want a Saints win, as the Dockers now seem catchable
    Depends on a risk assessment - is it more important to shore up a top eight spot or to keep the possibility of a top four spot open?

With the Dogs losing yesterday, they are now two games behind us and have a tough run over the next month. The Saints are the only other side with a realistic chance of replacing one of the current top eight incumbents, and they have a pretty challenging run now too. So unless we implode (always possible), we are more likely than not to finish in the top eight so barracking to keep a top four spot as possible seems reasonable.

I guess Gold Coast and Port still have some chance of squeezing their way in, but seems unlikely now. Neither of them gets to play Norf for the rest of the season.

Veterans List
    13 wins plus decent percentage is looking the minimum to get in this year so

Port and Gold Coast would need to win 6 of their last 7 to snag a finals berth

Dogs now need to win 5 of 6

We need 3 of 6, three of those are against finals aspirants Freo in Perth next week, R22 Pies at the SCG, R23 Saints under the roof

Just checked the North v Collingwood score. North are 3 goals in front, halfway through the second. Looks like they do want to keep their coach.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Just checked the North v Collingwood score. North are 3 goals in front, halfway through the second. Looks like they do want to keep their coach.
    As much as I hate North for the send off they gave Goodesy, I'd be happy to see them knock over one of our competitors for a finals spot.

Collingwood showing us how its done when its not your day you can still find a way to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    As much as I hate North for the send off they gave Goodesy, I'd be happy to see them knock over one of our competitors for a finals spot.
    Probably too much to expect North to do us a favour, but at least Collingwood didn't get a percentage boost.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    Collingwood showing us how its done when its not your day you can still find a way to win.
    Like we did against North early in the season

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Yes! Norf did look good for 3 quarters. Ran out of legs (& choked somewhat).

But can’t take any game for granted it seems. A big upset looked likely at 3/4 time. Bugger - would have helped us a lot.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast