Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Oh groan, we're in a bunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Anyone watching the Saints/Freo game? Stevic has just made a sequence of decisions that could decide the match. What a shocking umpire.
    Omg - ruining a great game.

I think that's game, if not season, over for the Saints.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think that's game, if not season, over for the Saints.
    Hmmm… maybe. But still equal 8th?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Stevic is an absolute cheat. When he favours a side, it is beyond belief. The two HTB comparisons are nuts. No wonder Dan Butler lost the plot

https://twitter.com/sci_fi17_/status...qCRlKwuM4546Yg
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Stevic or not, Freo still would have won this game. Just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Stevic or not, Freo still would have won this game. Just too good.
    Probably. But the scoreline flatters how ordinary they were earlier.

Saints were abysmal in the 3rd, however, when Freo got some momentum back. Coach-killer stuff from the Saints during that phase. They should’ve had another few shots later in the quarter - & it could’ve been a 2 goal game at 3/4 time - but the umpires were against them.

Freo came home strongly, but they’re definitely beatable if we bring the pressure.

Can we beat the violet crumbles next week? I think so

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can we beat the violet crumbles next week? I think so
    Depends if Matt Stevic is umpiring. There’s no doubt he gets caught up in the momentum, rather than umpires each moment on its merits.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Stevic is an absolute cheat. When he favours a side, it is beyond belief. The two HTB comparisons are nuts. No wonder Dan Butler lost the plot

https://twitter.com/sci_fi17_/status...qCRlKwuM4546Yg
    I thoroughly dislike St.Kilda and am always happy to see them lose but even I felt for them when that happened. An obvious free kick for them was ignored and then 2 seconds later, a free kick for the exact same thing is paid against them. And then when a Saint who was justifiably frustrated showed it, they copped 50 metres as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I thoroughly dislike St.Kilda and am always happy to see them lose but even I felt for them when that happened. An obvious free kick for them was ignored and then 2 seconds later, a free kick for the exact same thing is paid against them. And then when a Saint who was justifiably frustrated showed it, they copped 50 metres as well!
    Same. It had minimal effect on the result, but Saints fans have every reason to be livid after that absolute series of howlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Same. It had minimal effect on the result, but Saints fans have every reason to be livid after that absolute series of howlers.

And while they have relaxed the enforcement of the dissent rule, and made it a better rule in the process, there's still a fundamental problem. That is: the decisions that are most likely to attract demonstrative dissent, are the absolute howlers. So, the team that have been obviously and wrongly penalised, are then likely to be further penalised by being marched 50 metres. And it would be even worse, if the original penalty was the result of some flagrant staging.

I'm getting tempted to go for Essendon against Brisbane. While I might feel a bit unclean, ladder positions make it sensible. And with all the outs for Brisbane, the upset should be a big chance.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast