Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Oh groan, we're in a bunfight.

Round 17: the other games. Oh groan, we're in a bunfight.

Actually, I wanted to call the thread, "Oh groan, we're in a @@@@fight", but a quirk in the system didn't allow that. Anyway, it seemed like only yesterday, when we were contentedly eying off a top four spot. Now, due to our inattentiveness against Essendon, we appear to be in a desperate struggle to hold on to a top eight spot. So, I think how we view the other matches, will largely depend on how the result of a particular match, will affect our chances of remaining in the eight. Except for when Hawthorn are playing, of course. I mean, barracking enthusiastically for Hawthorn and I'd feel as unclean as the turd brown on their jumpers.

The first match of the round should be intense, with second premiership favourite, Geelong, hosting premiership favourites, Melbourne. I guess I'll be going for Melbourne in this one: as a Geelong win means that we probably can't catch either side, but a Melbourne win and we're an outside chance of catching Geelong.

Of course, any chance of catching Geelong, then hinges on us beating the Bulldogs on Friday night. Hopefully, our players will be switched on for most of the match and don't have extended periods, where we misplace the goalposts or the opposition players.

The first Saturday match is Collingwood and North. It would be nice if North did us a favour. But recent form suggests that that might be too much to hope for. I mean, Collingwood are currently listed as paying $1.02 and I'm a bit surprised that they're not $1.01. Maybe too many Collingwood fans spent their punting money on a recent trip to the Gold Coast?

Speaking of the Gold Coast, they're $1.92 for their clash with Richmond, who are also paying $1.92. Which probably gives a bit of an insight into how the odds are stacked against you if you punt. Remarkably in the next game, St Kilda and Fremantle are also both paying $1.92. Looking at the ladder, wins for Gold Coast and St Kilda are probably better for us, so, go the Suns and go the Saints.

The other Saturday game is Port hosting GWS. Obviously a GWS win would be better for us, so I guess that I could be a Giant for a day?

Brisbane hosting Essendon is the first Sunday game. Once again, it's obvious which result would be better for our ladder position, but relying on Essendon to do us a favour, might be hoping for a bit too much.

The next game is Hawthorn v Adelaide. Which everyone except Hawks and Crows fans can happily ignore. Actually, there might even be a fair few Hawk and Crow fans happily ignoring that one.

As is almost traditional, the final match of the round is in Perth, between West Coast and Carlton. Once again, an upset would be better for us, even if I have been enjoying the angst of the West Coast fans. Then again, a West Coast win and I can comfort myself with the fact that they'll be moving further away from the number one draft pick.

What a game Stengle is having ! He is the kind of pressure forward we need. He is pressuring, creating and just is everywhere in that forward half.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    What a game Stengle is having ! He is the kind of pressure forward we need. He is pressuring, creating and just is everywhere in that forward half.
    The Cats look up for it. Am I the only one who can't stand Selwood? He drops to his knees whenever there's contact. Must be snipers in the stands.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    The Cats look up for it. Am I the only one who can't stand Selwood? He drops to his knees whenever there's contact. Must be snipers in the stands.
    It's a tough, hard but entertaining game. Both teams going for it. Disappointing to think that we've beaten both of them but couldn't knock off the Bombers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    It's a tough, hard but entertaining game. Both teams going for it. Disappointing to think that we've beaten both of them but couldn't knock off the Bombers.
    It's alright. We'll just beat them again come finals and lift that sweet trophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    He has his good points, but there's a style of milking frees, that should be known as the Selwood method. Lowering his body, while spreading his arms to force a legitimate tackle towards his head, then throwing his head back, whether there's contact or not. Unfortunately, there's been many imitators.

Senior Player
    Cats pretty good tonight. They find a way to keep contending every season, despite the jokes about ageing. Seem to have some good young players too: Holmes, Stengle, De Koning.

Huge game from Cam Guthrie and Rohan pretty good too, more so in the first half.

Pretty good warm-up, looking forward to the main event tomorrow night!

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Cats pretty good tonight. They find a way to keep contending every season, despite the jokes about ageing. Seem to have some good young players too: Holmes, Stengle, De Koning.

Huge game from Cam Guthrie and Rohan pretty good too, more so in the first half.

Pretty good warm-up, looking forward to the main event tomorrow night!
    If we had the magical powers to bring whoever we wanted to the club, the De Koning brothers would be high on my list. Both look like dominating their positions in the future.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    If we had the magical powers to bring whoever we wanted to the club, the De Koning brothers would be high on my list. Both look like dominating their positions in the future.
    Carlton pick 30 in 2017 ND, Geelong pick 19 in 2019 ND so neither were particularly high picks.

As the intro said, some crucial matches this week, but there are every week from now. A quick look shows finals defining games R18 - 4, R19 - 5, R20 - 4, R21 - 5, R22 - 4 but a measly 3 games in the final round. We only have Pies and Saints in the last two rounds to worry about, but after the Essendon loss who knows?

Got to win tonight or we're in deep doo doo

Veterans List
    Nice win by us, now for some other ladder defining games.

Yuk, early game this arvo is Pies vs Norf, only of morbid fascination interest LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Nice win by us, now for some other ladder defining games.

Yuk, early game this arvo is Pies vs Norf, only of morbid fascination interest LOL
    Although there is talk that North are about to sack their coach, so maybe they'll be fired up?

The next game of Suns v Tigers should be a lot more interesting. Hopefully the Suns will do us a favour.

I can’t remember a season when the fate of each round can have such an impact on the ladder.

Winning 1 game can see you vying for a double chance in the finals, losing can put you in danger of missing out completely.

Let’s go boys - more games like last night and the rest of the lot can please themselves.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast