Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddy McCartin

Angry Paddy McCartin

As a few have noted, the commentators last night pointed out that “Our Paddy” leads all-comers for intercept marks…by a stretch. And yet whenever any All-Australian talk comes around, neither he nor Tommy are even mentioned. Why is this? It’s mental. It’s always May, Lever, Grimes, etc…or the single most over-rated player in the history of the AFL Tom “what’s an opponent?” Stewart. But I’m pretty sure that if a couple of AFL Coaches were playing “your pick, my pick” in the school yard, that those two would go first. Particularly because Paddy (and Tommy) have those huge numbers WHILST PLAYING ON ACTUAL 1ST AND 2ND KEY FORWARDS. It’s crazy. Also while I’m on AA form. Heeney does get a mention from time to time but not one commentator mentions Buddy. Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? What more does Blakey have to do to at least get a top 40 mention. He’s the most exciting runner in the game bar none, and yet you’ll only hear talk of Saad etc. Also Serong, McGrath, and that bloke from Carlton are good, but the Chad is first pick for super young midfielders. #showsomerespectaflmedia
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    As a few have noted, the commentators last night pointed out that “Our Paddy” leads all-comers for intercept marks…by a stretch. And yet whenever any All-Australian talk comes around, neither he nor Tommy are even mentioned. Why is this? It’s mental. It’s always May, Lever, Grimes, etc…or the single most over-rated player in the history of the AFL Tom “what’s an opponent?” Stewart. But I’m pretty sure that if a couple of AFL Coaches were playing “your pick, my pick” in the school yard, that those two would go first. Particularly because Paddy (and Tommy) have those huge numbers WHILST PLAYING ON ACTUAL 1ST AND 2ND KEY FORWARDS. It’s crazy. Also while I’m on AA form. Heeney does get a mention from time to time but not one commentator mentions Buddy. Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? What more does Blakey have to do to at least get a top 40 mention. He’s the most exciting runner in the game bar none, and yet you’ll only hear talk of Saad etc. Also Serong, McGrath, and that bloke from Carlton are good, but the Chad is first pick for super young midfielders. #showsomerespectaflmedia
    Kane Cornes, a first-time All-Australian selector this year, noted Paddy was in All-Australian contention during The Round So Far video published overnight on the AFL official site.

#ItsBetterToFlyUnderTheRadar

Veterans List
    Most intercept marks in the comp, reads the play perfectly, a beautiful kick and he is prepared to back himself and move up the ground to pick off defensive kicks by the opposition.

Barret said this morning on The Footy Show that Chad is already a star of the comp. If he keeps up his form how can he be ignored.

Senior Player
    Paddy recognised in the Nine Things We Learnt article on the AFL site.

Nine things we learned: The Saints weren't wrong about this Swan

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    ...Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? ...
    I would take Curnow over Buddy right now.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Curnow is the best forward in the game for mine. I won't forget that goal he kicked against us at Marvel from outside 50 rather nonchalantly. Just tapped it onto his boot.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I would take Curnow over Buddy right now.
    Without question once you factor in their respective ages. For the same reason I would trade Buddy for McKay, Naughton or either of the Kings in a heartbeat. None of them are better than Buddy but they have a lot more time left in the game (one hopes).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Without question once you factor in their respective ages. For the same reason I would trade Buddy for McKay, Naughton or either of the Kings in a heartbeat. None of them are better than Buddy but they have a lot more time left in the game (one hopes).
    Perfectly summarized. Buddy has been the best, but Curnow is the best now.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Strikes me that Paddy's contract negotiations are going to be interesting. Pretty certain he was signed for a year on minimal dollars. Elite interceptors earn elite dollars (think May, Lever, McGovern) and I assume Paddy will be looking to make up for lost earning time. I get the emotional arguments for him to accept less, but in theory he would have grounds for a 4-5 year contract at $600K+. I suspect the Swans would like to pay him a lot less than that.

The list management team will earn their keep over the next few years.

Fair point.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast