Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 18 vs Fremantle at Optus, 7:30 PM Sat 16 July 2022

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Sam Mitchell on AFL360 last night mentioned you have to be very patient with talented young key forwards as they take longer to develop and people can get too impatient, comparing them with midfielders who develop quicker. He cited Mitchell Lewis who has been on their list for 6 seasons and is only now having a breakout season.

I think the club is taking similar approach with Logan McDonald and hope he also sees that himself, even though I don't think he'll take 6 years to blossom. Amartey and Maclean may also fall into this category.
    Unfortunately we'll lose him by then. I have a bad feeling about him and his Management who are W.A. based and will want him to go home. It'll be really disappointing if it happens but I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Unfortunately we'll lose him by then. I have a bad feeling about him and his Management who are W.A. based and will want him to go home. It'll be really disappointing if it happens but I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Time will tell. If that comes to pass, then hopefully we receive good trade value for him like Geelong did when Kelly insisted on going home. He currently seems happy in Sydney. We need to find him a Sydney-based girlfriend!

The weekly In The Mix article from the AFL suggests the following changes:

Verdict: Hickey for Ladhams and Cunningham for Dylan Stephens. Michael Whiting

I suppose bringing Harry in would improve the side, but would like to keep Dylan in the team if possible. Tough call. I'm not sure the marginal difference is worth it and the defence is going well enough without Harry. On the other hand, Freo have a very damaging set of small forwards with Schultz, Colyer, Walters and Frederick. All are very quick. Schulz has been particularly good this year and needs a hard lockdown player. Maybe swap Harry and Dylan for medisub.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Having watched the Chad for the first time live the other night, it confirmed a few things about why we all think he’s so special.

One: his power and explosion was everything I expected, but it was still deeply impressive to see live.

Two: he’s a fast learner. I joked about this earlier in the year when he got done a couple of times for dissent, but then quickly learned to rub his hands and fingers through the Chad hair, and stare at the umpire with mouth agape, but avoid being pinged.

But you can also see it in the rapid evolution of parts of his game.

Last year, he was prone to blasting the ball no matter the circumstances. I still laugh at the Richmond game in round three at the MCG when he kicked that goal bursting inside 50, then about two minutes later was on the run again - but thought he could do it from 65m. He was like an over-adrenalined puppy. This year, he has learned the value of the short kick at the right time and must have landed half a dozen of them the other night.

The other was his work at stoppages. Most notably in the GWS final, but also the final play of the Bulldogs game earlier this year, he’d been guilty of ball hunting too early. You want a player like Chad to be offensively minded, but timing is everything. Watching him the other night, he’s holding that fraction longer - probably because he’s worked out with his level of explosion, he can hold his position and still go offensively when the time is right and be a weapon. The goal he kicked in the first quarter was a classic example. He stayed at the contest till it was clear we were going to clear it, and then was still able to leave the Bont trailing him as he tracked inside 50, got the handball from Paps and finished it off.

It all suggests a great instinct for the game and willingness to learn, and learn quickly.
    Excellent summary. It always surprises how easily he seems to find space within metres of taking possession.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You must be right on Amartey. I just looked up the stats and he had only 65% TOG. That would indicate that we are unlikely to drop Amartey, as we would want to take 3 ruck-capable players into the game, especially with Hickey just coming back from illness. McDonald will likely go to Perth as an emergency. Freo have quite a strong ruck division, so it will be a real challenge, both in the ruck and when they go forward.

I rate Freo as the best team in the comp atm. Both sides are at near full strength, so it will be a good test to see how they stack up.

If Ryan Clarke stays in the side, and I think he should, he is likely to tag Jordan Clark. So it should be fun for the commenters, especially if BT does the game.
    I just discovered the function on the (blighted) afl.com app which allows you to compare teams' stats - Freo and us are incredibly evenly matched other than (a) ruck hitouts per game and (b) they handball a lot more then we do. The hitouts number is an absolute number so I guess it might just suggest they have more contests than us. They must be one of hte few sides that has fewer free kicks on average than we do (21 to 22).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Excellent summary. It always surprises how easily he seems to find space within metres of taking possession.
    You either have the belief in yourself to do it or you dont . He has got it in spades

Would keep stephens on a big ground
    Harry has looked ordinary ball in hand, him or Fox, not both for me

- - - Updated - - -

Clarke gone past him

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Clarke gone past him
    I have been pleasantly surprised lately with Clarke, and would like to see him kept in the team. He has excelled in his role in the forward line with his defensive work and pressure that he has applied.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It's Saturday night, so Taylor won't call it - he calls Thursday and/or Friday night and Sunday arvo.

The Channel 7 team on Saturday nights is Luke Darcy and Hamish McLachlan. But we'll be spared that duo this week, aa Carlton-Geelong is also Saturday night and Channel 7 will take that game.

As result, a Fox team will call the game, which generally means there's no need to mute.
    In WA they seem to have WA commentators. Basil and this other guy who used to do the WAFL.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Clarke gone past him
    I like Fox. Harry was crap last week. Fox gives us far more. I would bring in Gould and free up Jake lloyd to play more mids time. He went into the mids last week as an extra player and was sensational. He used to be very good as a winger or inside mid but due to all our half backs retiring or moving on found himself there. Sheldrick is not ready. The only other one who could replace Harry is Bell. If he was played as a pure mid he might just surprise.

Veterans List
    Big ground, need gut runners to keep pressure on, Stephens and Clarke

Don't think Basil is commentating anymore since his political demands became heavier. More likely Matthew Pavlich and Adam Papalia -who is quite tolerable.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast