Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 19 - vs Adelaide Crows at the SCG on Saturday at 1:45 PM, 23 July,

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    This is largely my argument - the reason Membrey and Darcy Cameron left the Swans is because they "didn't get a fair go". They didn't get a fair go largely because we had AFL-quality players already in their position. If we didn't - hey would've stayed. It means we have lots of quality AFL players (which is a good thing) but one of the implications is that 27/28 doesn't go into 22 so players will leave. If you only had 22 AFL quality players you would never lose anyone.
    We have to find a way to play our good veterans as well as giving opportunities to young prospects. If something has to crack, then the veterans should make way for youth. Adam is a champion, but gone from footy, while Membrey is a very good forward and has been since going to the Saints.

I know we shouldn't take any game for granted, but using games against lower ranked teams to bring in a promising young player is a good idea, imo. The marginal difference potential is not worth losing a player over. If it means resting Rampe for a game so we can play Gould, I would take the opportunity in the next 3 games.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We have to find a way to play our good veterans as well as giving opportunities to young prospects. If something has to crack, then the veterans should make way for youth. Adam is a champion, but gone from footy, while Membrey is a very good forward and has been since going to the Saints.

I know we shouldn't take any game for granted, but using games against lower ranked teams to bring in a promising young player is a good idea, imo. The marginal difference potential is not worth losing a player over. If it means resting Rampe for a game so we can play Gould, I would take the opportunity in the next 3 games.
    The next three games are crucial. Adelaide lost narrowly to Collingwood. The Giants always lift against us and North just beat Richmond. Rampe is starting to find some form. Gould has been overlooked for Fox. He is very likely to be delisted or traded. Melican is next cab off the rank and he has proven he can play at the level.

On the veteran's list
    I'm a bit worried about our form in day games. We've won two for the year. Fell in against North and had to come home with a wet sail to beat the Hawks. Meanwhile lost to Port, Essendon and Suns (others?)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I'm a bit worried about our form in day games. We've won two for the year. Fell in against North and had to come home with a wet sail to beat the Hawks. Meanwhile lost to Port, Essendon and Suns (others?)
    It’s an interesting observation and one that conflicts with my perception of the conditions that should suit us. I feel that our skills and style suit a fast, dry track which should occur in day games as opposed to dewy night time. In all of the games we have lost that you listed, it was actually our skills that seemed to let us down.

Veterans List
    Wet lead in, wet day forecast and wet track.

Crows have poor skill level but crack in hard, so they're suited by the forecast conditions - shouldn't be, but could be, a danger game, particularly if we don't kick straight. Look at what happened to the Tigers last week!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    It’s an interesting observation and one that conflicts with my perception of the conditions that should suit us. I feel that our skills and style suit a fast, dry track which should occur in day games as opposed to dewy night time. In all of the games we have lost that you listed, it was actually our skills that seemed to let us down.
    I think it was energy levels, rather than skill. We've played so many night games in recent seasons that maybe the team's rhythm is more attuned to being "up" later in the day. But I suspect it's just that the team revs itself up more when it feels it has a real challenge on its hands. In some ways that's natural human behaviour, but it remains a challenge for the coaching team to get the team to properly focus regardless of the opposition. And that's not just an observation based on this season (or last). It's a pattern that has endured throughout at least the last decade or so. Maybe longer.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it was energy levels, rather than skill. We've played so many night games in recent seasons that maybe the team's rhythm is more attuned to being "up" later in the day. But I suspect it's just that the team revs itself up more when it feels it has a real challenge on its hands. In some ways that's natural human behaviour, but it remains a challenge for the coaching team to get the team to properly focus regardless of the opposition. And that's not just an observation based on this season (or last). It's a pattern that has endured throughout at least the last decade or so. Maybe longer.
    There is so much interconnectedness to these two terms that it is hard to disagree with you. A slight drop in intensity and a kick/handball misses a target by the same fraction.

Regular in the Side
    After six weeks though I think it is longer, Sheather and O'Riordan have been promoted to the injury list. Long overdue recognition though MacAndrew does not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Wet lead in, wet day forecast and wet track.

Crows have poor skill level but crack in hard, so they're suited by the forecast conditions - shouldn't be, but could be, a danger game, particularly if we don't kick straight. Look at what happened to the Tigers last week!
    They’re all danger games at this end of the season. I wonder if there is a stat for when the most upsets happen? My gut says the last 2-3 games of the regular season. Weird stuff also happens around the bye rounds.

My prediction is the Crows will get some help from the umps, but we’ll scrape home.

Veterans List
    Hopefully the umpires can do what the AFL is asking and not pay those "assisted" high tackles, particularly in front of goal, they are the ones that really hurt teams.

Look at how many goals Ginivan has kicked from that crap interpretation and look at how many games the Pies have won by narrow margins this year. Those poor calls have given the Pies wins, and their opposition loses. Changes ladder positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Hopefully the umpires can do what the AFL is asking and not pay those "assisted" high tackles, particularly in front of goal, they are the ones that really hurt teams.

Look at how many goals Ginivan has kicked from that crap interpretation and look at how many games the Pies have won by narrow margins this year. Those poor calls have given the Pies wins, and their opposition loses. Changes ladder positions.
    I think it’s a long overdue call by the AFL . Someone is going to get seriously injured with the current practice. Gulden does it as well as anyone and I cringe every time he does it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I think it’s a long overdue call by the AFL . Someone is going to get seriously injured with the current practice. Gulden does it as well as anyone and I cringe every time he does it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's also known affectionately inside the Cattery as the Selwood Slump. Agree re: Gulden. George H was pretty handy at drawing these types of frees when he was with us too.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast