Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 19 - vs Adelaide Crows at the SCG on Saturday at 1:45 PM, 23 July,

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I think it’s a long overdue call by the AFL . Someone is going to get seriously injured with the current practice. Gulden does it as well as anyone and I cringe every time he does it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think Gulden did it last week. Maybe he was told to give it away.

Ginnivan doesn't appear to be a team player at this point in his career. His first thought is to draw the free, not find a team mate in a better position. That one where he was done for HTB on the boundary line he had a player no.35 inboard, but he chose to duck. There is no way he was going to get around his opponent given he was centimetres inside the boundary. One thing for sure a lot of armchair experts who don't normally tune into Pies games will be watching Sunday, me included.

Senior Player
    The way Ginnivan’s arm goes straight up in the air when he is tackled to make the defender’s arm slide up to his neck/head should be called as a staging free kick, as it isn’t a natural action to shrug a tackler in a way that results in your arm pointing that way.

When I mean should be called a free kick, I mean the rules need to be changed so it discourages players deliberately causing the tackler’s arms to hit your neck/head.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    A lot of players raise their arms if they're going to be tackled to ensure their arms are free. The intention is to take the tackle, commit a defender and still be able to get a handball away. I don't see anything wrong with this approach. Defenders are trying to pin their arms so a player with the ball has every right to try and avoid that.

It's the players who have a premeditated tactic to drop as soon as they're touched that frustrate me. I agree with Nico that certain players look for a free first rather than taking an option with a teammate that is available. This is not in the spirit of the game and should be penalised. The issue here is that there's so much open to interpretation for the umps, it's inevitably going to lead to inconsistent calls.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I don't think Gulden did it last week. Maybe he was told to give it away.
    Errol certainly has it in his kit bag but it's something he only pulls out occasionally. He gets a fair few frees for high contact but most are where he is genuinely contesting the ball. As a smaller player, I guess he's always going to cop the occasional high contact.

He did play for - and get - one against the Bulldogs in the previous round. Even through the TV screen you could hear the howls of objection from the fans at the ground, despite the fact the Dogs have had a fair few proponents of this tactic over recent seasons (Weightman now, McLean in past years, even Dunkley from time to time).

He's a smart enough player that he can cut it out and still be a highly effective player. Will have to wait and see what else Ginnivan has in his bag of tricks. Can he still be an effective player?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

When I mean should be called a free kick, I mean the rules need to be changed so it discourages players deliberately causing the tackler’s arms to hit your neck/head.
    The rules don't need to be changed. They just need to be enforced as written, which is what the AFL has now come out and said will be done from now. How long it lasts, who knows.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    A lot of players raise their arms if they're going to be tackled to ensure their arms are free. The intention is to take the tackle, commit a defender and still be able to get a handball away. I don't see anything wrong with this approach. Defenders are trying to pin their arms so a player with the ball has every right to try and avoid that.

It's the players who have a premeditated tactic to drop as soon as they're touched that frustrate me. I agree with Nico that certain players look for a free first rather than taking an option with a teammate that is available. This is not in the spirit of the game and should be penalised. The issue here is that there's so much open to interpretation for the umps, it's inevitably going to lead to inconsistent calls.
    I think that's why you can argue that evasive action shouldn't be deemed prior opportunity in its own right. However, if a player has raised his arms to keep them free, he should be able to then immediately attempt to dispose of the ball, and it should be HTB if he doesn't do so. That's one way of distinguishing between those genuinely trying to evade or break from a tackle and those trying merely to draw a free. And the one arm up technique to push the tackle to the neck usually doesn't leave the player in a position to get a handball off because it takes the propelling hand out of action.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I think it’s a long overdue call by the AFL . Someone is going to get seriously injured with the current practice. Gulden does it as well as anyone and I cringe every time he does it .
    The way Ginnivan’s arm goes straight up in the air when he is tackled to make the defender’s arm slide up to his neck/head should be called as a staging free kick, as it isn’t a natural action to shrug a tackler in a way that results in your arm pointing that way.
    It's a blight on the game, and if the AFL was serious about post career brain degeneration, then it should act. And act decisively. Adjusting the umpires interpretations yet again will only add further confusion, and intermittant action will stop nothing.
    Unlike the umpres who are already overmatched, the MRP would seem ideally placed. They apparently review every game anyway, they should simply attach a tenth of a week suspension to every incidence of the Selwood Slump. Every 10 slumps the Slumper get's suspended for a week.
    Such a penalty would have little effect on incidental cases, but it'd be a major disincentive for those that adopt this tactic as a matter of course.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Suspended by the MRP
    Everyone , Chad is 4th in the afl for goal assists , what a star

Paps 5th too

Veterans List
    Surprise! Which senior coach has come out squealing about the new high tackle interpretation?

Well of course it's the coach of the worst team of stagers. They've been perfecting this type of cheating since 2016.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post

I am not protesting trying to break a tackle and trying to free the arm to handball.

I am protesting the raising the arm to point straight up in the air which has the only and intended effect of causing the tackler’s hand/arm to collect you in the neck/head.

Look at the replay last wknd where Ginnivan is tackled in the front left pocket. His arm ended up pointing straight up in the air like he was a kid in a classroom as he dived or was brought down.

There was no attempt to hand ball or to break free of the tackler to run further.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I am not protesting trying to break a tackle and trying to free the arm to handball.

I am protesting the raising the arm to point straight up in the air which has the only and intended effect of causing the tackler’s hand/arm to collect you in the neck/head.

Look at the replay last wknd where Ginnivan is tackled in the front left pocket. His arm ended up pointing straight up in the air like he was a kid in a classroom as he dived or was brought down.

There was no attempt to hand ball or to break free of the tackler to run further.
    I don't see the issue if he want's to raise his arm, as long as the umps can determine if he is trying to evade the tackle or just trying to play for a free. In the case you've mentioned, it should be clear that no attempt has been made other than attempting to play for a free.

liz has provided the most simple and effective basis for how it should be adjudicated in post #41 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Surprise! Which senior coach has come out squealing about the new high tackle interpretation?

Well of course it's the coach of the worst team of stagers. They've been perfecting this type of cheating since 2016.
    And it was very much a straw man argument, as well. He claimed that people like Selwood deserve plenty of frees, because they go in hard for the ball. When in actual fact, what infuriates most people, is players who get rewarded for the opposite of going hard. That is, players who when being tackled, who instead of using strength to break a tackle or get a contested possession away, just drop to the ground, push their arms out and throw their heads back.

And I'm also for more suspensions for that sort of staging. Especially if the footage shows that a player clearly hadn't been hit in the head, despite them violently throwing their head back as if it had.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I saw that he was sooking again. Not a surprise at all. He's worried because it will be less goals for them from frees. He said it is another "flinch" from the AFL.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast