Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 19: the other games. And then there were...err...14?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Still does.....a draw is as bad as a loss to Freo at this stage.
    We would have very likely overtaken Freo with a win this week had they also lost. That is not possible now.

We have to hope they slip up again in one of their remaining matches.

Veterans List
    Richmond do it again, couldn't write a script any better!

Classic @@@@ up. Why do you need to hear the umpire call play on Balta, use your eyes mate, there's a huge shot clock on the scoreboard!

Draw was ok for Freo, bad for us, if we win today, we now need to win one more than them in the four game run home whereas we only had to win today to draw level on points then out % them in the run home. Freo does have the Dees next week.

Richmond are hurt as Dogs and Saints can displace them as early as this weekend.

And right on cue that whinger Hardwick wants the draw outlawed. He wouldn't say that if it was Freo with all the momentum in the last five minutes. The guy is a whinging tosser of almost Beveridge scale. Longmire is so composed and measured in comparison to those two idiots.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    A draw an Excellent result for us (Tiggers v Freo) I would have thought.
    We should only be looking up the ladder. We have a better percentage than Freo, so a draw doesn't really help.

Senior Player
    You have to think Collingwood is due for a fall, and Geelong too. The big streaks are hard to keep going. Tho' ten in a row
    for us would be nice. You gotta dream.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    This draw is as good as a loss for Richmond and a win for Fremantle.

Fremantle: This nullifies their inferior percentage and puts them half a game higher. This could be good enough for Fremantle to finish fourth at the end of the home and away season. Fremantle's remaining games: Melbourne (H), Western Bulldogs (A), West Coast (H), GWS Giants (A). First game is difficult, others are all winnable.

Richmond: In this case, their percentage advantage over the Dogs, Saints and Port is also nullified. The siren call of another ninth-placed finish beckons. Richmond can still finish eighth if they are good enough: Brisbane (H), Port Adelaide (A), Hawthorn (H) and Essendon (A). None of them are easy, none are certain losses either.

Richmond's competitors for eighth are St Kilda and Western Bulldogs. Richmond's chances are enhanced by their slightly easier draw in the last few games. Saints have West Coast (A), Hawthorn (H) as winnable games, but the last three games are difficult: Geelong (A), Brisbane (H), Sydney (H). Western Bulldogs are similar. They have a brutal run of three games: Melbourne (H), Geelong (A) and Fremantle (H) but finish up with GWS Giants (H) and Hawthorn (A).

It is interesting how all three of these sides competing for eighth place play Hawthorn in the last four rounds. Hawthorn also play Gold Coast in the last four rounds, so Hawthorn finishes up with four games over middle-ranked sides.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You have to think Collingwood is due for a fall, and Geelong too. The big streaks are hard to keep going. Tho' ten in a row
    for us would be nice. You gotta dream.
    Collingwood? Definitely. Winning by single-digit margins over middle-ranked sides is not convincing. None of their last five games are easy: Essendon (H), Port Adelaide (H), Melbourne (A), Sydney (A), Carlton (A). It is possible they could lose them all, though I expect they will manage a couple of wins in that run.

Geelong: Not so much. They are playing very well, have good wins over quality opposition and have earned their spot on the top of the ladder. Their last five games are comfortable games against sides outside the top eight and they should be able to win all five: Port Adelaide (A), Western Bulldogs (H), St Kilda (H), Gold Coast (A), West Coast (H). If the wheels are going to fall off the Geelong juggernaut, it's going to be in the finals, if at all. I can see them finishing on top of the ladder and going on to win the premiership this year. They will fall eventually, but it's unlikely to be this year. Geelong's form has a bit in common with Hawthorn in 1991.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Port giving the Cats a run. 6 goal to 1 third term has them only 6 points down, late in that quarter.

Senior Player
    Re the Richmond and Freo draw, we also can overtake Freo if they have another draw (admittedly very unlikely) and we keep winning, we don’t need them to lose another game.

The Cats and Port are tied in the 4th. Could we see another draw? I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    The Cats and Port are tied in the 4th. Could we see another draw? I hope so!
    I'd probably prefer a Port loss. If we happen to finish 5th, I'd certainly want a knock out final against any of the other contenders, rather than a resurgent Port.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'd probably prefer a Port loss. If we happen to finish 5th, I'd certainly want a knock out final against any of the other contenders, rather than a resurgent Port.
    You've gone mad. Top 4 and we "only" have to win three games. Bottom and we have to win four.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You've gone mad. Top 4 and we "only" have to win three games. Bottom and we have to win four.
    I know, but I would like to see the Port zombie properly killed off. It just makes me a touch uneasy.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast