Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Longmire

Longmire

If his position is not being questioned, then it should be.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Surely you jest. The side has been decimated by injuries and has the youngest list playing at the moment. Things will turn when prayers come back.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Things will turn when prayers come back.

I’m very happy having Horse as our coach.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    If his position is not being questioned, then it should be.

Joke of a post. Made GF last year way ahead of schedule with a young midfield. Post of a panic merchant.

I don't question Longmire's role at this point, but I do question our ability to get the players 'mentally right' per say. Things can go wrong any week - sure. You can play utterly terribly on any given day if things go wrong - sure. But I see very little sign of us as a team having learnt anything from the disaster of the grand final last year tonight. The only reason one could argue it wasn't even worse tonight was the outs. But even with a full strength team, I suspect we still would of got smacked. Because where we got belted last year in midfield, we got belted again tonight. Can have the best defence in the world, but if they can shrug almost every tackle and bring it in on a plate, they are always going to struggle.

When we get it wrong mentally for preparation for games, we seem to get it very wrong. There is a simple message however - whatever we did this week, and whatever we did in grand final week last years, coaches - never, ever do that again!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't question Longmire's role at this point, but I do question our ability to get the players 'mentally right' per say. Things can go wrong any week - sure. You can play utterly terribly on any given day if things go wrong - sure. But I see very little sign of us as a team having learnt anything from the disaster of the grand final last year tonight. The only reason one could argue it wasn't even worse tonight was the outs. But even with a full strength team, I suspect we still would of got smacked. Because where we got belted last year in midfield, we got belted again tonight. Can have the best defence in the world, but if they can shrug almost every tackle and bring it in on a plate, they are always going going to struggle.

When we get it wrong mentally for preparation for games, we seem to get it very wrong. There is a simple message however - whatever we did this week, and whatever we did in grand final week last years, coaches - never, ever do that again!
    Maybe they're just too good,too mature and too strong for us at this stage of our development. Especially with who we had out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Maybe they're just too good,too mature and too strong for us at this stage of our development. Especially with who we had out.
    Not saying there isn't truth in that. But we've been smacked by a combined 170+ points in the last two games against them. We scored the equal lowest points in a second half tonight since 1971 by any team in the VFL/AFL. We were the beaten grand finalists last year - not also runs. You can be beaten by a better team but still show spirit, still have periods in a contest when you are on top, still show signs of progress. There was absolutely nothing we could take away from the game tonight and say 'we did better in that regard vs last year'. That is the worry.

It wasn't as bad as the 2014 GF, where a mature team was embarrassingly bullied like 5 years olds against grown men. But mentally you have to ask questions - where is the fight? There was a clear feeling of 'here we go again' tonight very early on, and at no point did it feel like we got anywhere into the contest. We couldn't even manage some junk time consolation tonight - that suggests mentally the boys were (understandably so) in a very bad place. The physical difference is clear - can't doubt that. But mentally, we also look a million miles off, which suggests to me we are not getting something very right at all.

The deluge of warranted criticism to come will not help either. And it will be a massive weight on the shoulders now - every time we play a mature team in a big game, the doubts will be there for all and sundry to think 'will they turn up?'

The group may well prove good enough in time to overcome that - but that sort of pressure has broken better squads than what we have now. I hope we aren't added to the list
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

No sorry i dont "jest"

Yes, the side is decimated by injury, but longmire has failed 3 times at the biggest stage, and this is the 4th.... terrible coaching, terrible team selection... longmire needs to be held responsible..
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Surely you jest. The side has been decimated by injuries and has the youngest list playing at the moment. Things will turn when prayers come back.

Senior Player
    Not saying there isn't truth in that. But we've been smacked by a combined 170+ points in the last two games against them. We scored the equal lowest points in a second half tonight since 1971 by any team in the VFL/AFL. We were the beaten grand finalists last year - not also runs. You can be beaten by a better team but still show spirit, still have periods in a contest when you are on top, still show signs of progress. There was absolutely nothing we could take away from the game tonight and say 'we did better in that regard vs last year'. That is the worry.

It wasn't as bad as the 2014 GF, where a mature team was embarrassingly bullied like 5 years olds against grown men. But mentally you have to ask questions - where is the fight? There was a clear feeling of 'here we go again' tonight very early on, and at no point did it feel like we got anywhere into the contest. We couldn't even manage some junk time consolation tonight - that suggests mentally the boys were (understandably so) in a very bad place. The physical difference is clear - can't doubt that. But mentally, we also look a million miles off, which suggests to me we are not getting something very right at all.

The deluge of warranted criticism to come will not help either. And it will be a massive weight on the shoulders now - every time we play a mature team in a big game, the doubts will be there for all and sundry to think 'will they turn up?'

The group may well prove good enough in time to overcome that - but that sort of pressure has broken better squads than what we have now. I hope we aren't added to the list
    We are a young team that over achieved last year. Geelong monster us with their superior strength. Won't last for ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    No sorry i dont "jest"

Yes, the side is decimated by injury, but longmire has failed 3 times at the biggest stage, and this is the 4th.... terrible coaching, terrible team selection... longmire needs to be held responsible..

Round 6 is the biggest stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    So what your saying is Chris scott and an ageing list is better than ours.... facts are we let a 35 year old have his best game of his career against us in the GF. Tonight danger who has had nil impact on games this year dominated....

We have the best list in the league, our issue is we have the 18th coach. Longminre is weak and unable to prepare OUR TEAM for the big games.

MCS 'who is responsible' for getting our players right
    I don't question Longmire's role at this point, but I do question our ability to get the players 'mentally right' per say. Things can go wrong any week - sure. You can play utterly terribly on any given day if things go wrong - sure. But I see very little sign of us as a team having learnt anything from the disaster of the grand final last year tonight. The only reason one could argue it wasn't even worse tonight was the outs. But even with a full strength team, I suspect we still would of got smacked. Because where we got belted last year in midfield, we got belted again tonight. Can have the best defence in the world, but if they can shrug almost every tackle and bring it in on a plate, they are always going to struggle.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast