Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 20, vs GWS at the SCG, on Saturday 30 July, 2:10 PM

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Regarding Clarke, he's done the job asked of him in each match, and hit the scoreboard, too.
    Dawson has been one of Adelaide's best players this season, but had no impact when playing on Clarke, and minimal impact when moved away from half back. Laird and Berry were their best players by a mile.
    Yes, we miss Dawson, but Blakey has blossomed in the half back role, and Paddy McCartin is an elite field kick, so we're not missing him as much as we possibly could have.
    Agreed on Blakey and McCartin, but I to think we have a Jordan-sized hole for an extra bail out marking target on the defensive side of the wing/towards half back. Will seemed to offer some of that on the weekend, not sure if it was by design or not.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Agreed on Blakey and McCartin, but I to think we have a Jordan-sized hole for an extra bail out marking target on the defensive side of the wing/towards half back. Will seemed to offer some of that on the weekend, not sure if it was by design or not.
    I think that is one of Wilbur's key roles - to be the link between defence and the forwards. He has played it pretty well this year. It's not spectacular but can relieve a lot of pressure. One on one he's a pretty reliable mark

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think that is one of Wilbur's key roles - to be the link between defence and the forwards. He has played it pretty well this year. It's not spectacular but can relieve a lot of pressure. One on one he's a pretty reliable mark
    Logan McDonald has done that in previous games too. Takes lots of marks up near the wing.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think Wilbur has improved a lot this season. In particular, his defensive efforts and two-way running to help out in defense have improved dramatically. His marking and ability to keep his feet in the clinches are also strengths. I would like to see McInerney take similar steps. He has been a little disappointing so far this season.

Suspended by the MRP
    Looks like some have forgotten how good Jmac is , how many games we might not win if it werent for his brilliance . All goes out the window as soon as he has a down patch of form , shame

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    GWS rested a few players last weekend and expect to have 4-5 back so it will be a hard contested game.

Joey and Campbell in for Clarke and Wicks. Hopefully Hickey will be ok as Reid and Armety pairing will struggle.
    Clarke is not going anywhere. You don't drop in form players....and he is.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Looks like some have forgotten how good Jmac is , how many games we might not win if it werent for his brilliance . All goes out the window as soon as he has a down patch of form , shame
    Stop trying to pick fights over nothing - pretty sure we all remember how good he is - he's just been a bit down for a good part of this season. We're all hoping he hits the heights we know he can over the next couple of months.

Senior Player
    I am pretty sure no one has forgotten how good he is but surely if a player is down on form, and I don’t suggest that he is playing that poorly , but the solution to that at any level is to be dropped to regain some form ?
    It’s not an insult but more a remedy to an issue and for many players it can be a reality check that allows them to work on any shortcomings in their game that the coaching panel have identified.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    This was my biggest fear at the start of the year more than anything else about his departure - and why I was pitching Heeney to play wing, which he'd done well before and still allowed him to surge back forward. But I've given up on that now, and accepted his midfield time is a pinch hitting effort, and his forward craft - not just marking, but ground ball gets and handball skills in particular are elite down there. The pick up and lightning handball to Warner for the goal against Fremantle was just dreamy.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    It looks to me that they are playing him off the back flank which I don't think is his natural position. What we don't see is that explosive run off the wing. He did a great kick to Buddy on the lead. He did a couple of things that he didn't need to do such as handball back over his head when running inside 50. Healy said on TV he couldn't understand why he didn't keep running into goal. In the past he would've backed himself. He also stopped and propped when he didn't need to and got himself into trouble. His 2nd half was much better He had 15 kicks, 10 handpasses and 8 marks so not a bad days work. Probably needs to polish up his finishing a bit.

He looks like he has grown a bit.

Can't possibly see how he will lose his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It looks to me that they are playing him off the back flank which I don't think is his natural position. What we don't see is that explosive run off the wing. He did a great kick to Buddy on the lead. He did a couple of things that he didn't need to do such as handball back over his head when running inside 50. Healy said on TV he couldn't understand why he didn't keep running into goal. In the past he would've backed himself. He also stopped and propped when he didn't need to and got himself into trouble. His 2nd half was much better He had 15 kicks, 10 handpasses and 8 marks so not a bad days work. Probably needs to polish up his finishing a bit.

He looks like he has grown a bit.

Can't possibly see how he will lose his spot.
    I don't see why we feel a need to play JMac behind the ball. We already have 7 defenders even without Cunningham in the side.

JMac has been okay, but hasn't performed the spectacular in a way we were getting used to. I prefer JMac playing ahead of the ball. He's been good a I50 kick and is quite a good shot on goal. If he plays closer to goal, it should release Heeney and Papley to hunt the ball more up ground. They usually make something happen with ball in had in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't see why we feel a need to play JMac behind the ball. We already have 7 defenders even without Cunningham in the side.

JMac has been okay, but hasn't performed the spectacular in a way we were getting used to. I prefer JMac playing ahead of the ball. He's been good a I50 kick and is quite a good shot on goal. If he plays closer to goal, it should release Heeney and Papley to hunt the ball more up ground. They usually make something happen with ball in had in the midfield.
    Absolutely. I thought JMac was playing on the wing, which is his best position imho. Yes, he may be a bit down on form but he has had a few niggles and young players find it more difficult to recover form. Without an injury, no- one should be dropped as there were no passengers. So Joey would be the sub- Clarke deserves to play as he gives his all and has done the job well. If Hickey needs a rest, could we manage with just Sammy and Amartey? If so, I’d bring in Logan ahead of Joey, though it seems Horse wants him back in!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast