Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 21, vs North Melbourne at Marvel, on Sunday 7 August, 1:10 PM

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Horse isn’t a rester, but Buddy was never expected to play every game and we’ve got the hot Pies off a 6 day break.

It would allow us to play both Ladhams and Hickey against Goldy or give MacDonald another run prior to finals without dropping Amartey,

It might signal that we are not taking Norf seriously … but i think the opposite will be true and we’ll be up for this game.

Does anyone know what’s wrong with Hickey and whether rest will improve things?
    We play Collingwood after a 7 day break. We finish the year with three consecutive Sunday games.

I'd be surprised if we rested Buddy, as John wouldn't want to give the impression of taking North easily, nor generate additional risk unnecessarily. There is also the pre-finals bye.

Logan for Amartey more likely. I personally think it's time to make that change.

Buddy may well be our best forward, but we don't necessarily play better when he's in the side. I thought we targeted him way too much on Saturday, leading to so many turnovers, when we could have gone forward in a way that was more likely to lead to a goal.

I don't think Amartey has been great, but it's difficult playing the last target in the forward line with the options we have up forward. At least he got his TOG up to 72%. He still needs to improve his tank to become a good key forward. I don't think it makes much difference swapping Amartey for either McDonald of McLean.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Buddy may well be our best forward, but we don't necessarily play better when he's in the side. I thought we targeted him way too much on Saturday, leading to so many turnovers, when we could have gone forward in a way that was more likely to lead to a goal.

I don't think Amartey has been great, but it's difficult playing the last target in the forward line with the options we have up forward. At least he got his TOG up to 72%. He still needs to improve his tank to become a good key forward. I don't think it makes much difference swapping Amartey for either McDonald of McLean.
    I'm with you that I don't think the choice of Amartey or McDonald will make much difference to match outcome. They both provide a bit, but aren't yet ready to do much more. McDonald more regularly works up the ground to provide a target coming out of defence or along the wing, though Amartey did some of that on the weekend. I think Amartey is a little more reliable at the moment in making a contest in the forward line, even if he doesn't mark. McDonald isn't quite as ready to relentlessly through his body into contests. Plus Amartey's ability to contribute in the ruck, if needed, is something in his favour.

It's also worth noting that right up to the eve of the season, Amartey was doing very little training. So he had no opportunity last pre-season to build his endurance base. I'm still quite optimistic about his long term value to the team.

Logan for Amartey for the simple fact he didnt do enough to keep Logan out, same happened for Logan a few weeks back.

As for playing alongside Buddy, between him, Paps, Heeney and Reid surely its a gift being the 5th string fwd ?

Lets not pretend Buddy is stopping anyone from kicking bags, plenty of opportunity for a developing Fwd.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Maths not my strong point, but if they lose by a point, will their percentage really drop by almost 4? Seems a lot for such a wee loss?
    It’s actually not the win or loss that matters with percentage, but rather the difference between points for and against. In the example quoted earlier Melbourne could actually beat the Pies by a point and have a very similar drop in percentage to losing by a point. i.e. The win was less than their average spread of points, for and against..

A lot of people don’t realise teams can win and their percentage go down or can lose and their percentage go up.

Percentage is a ratio, not an addition or subtraction of margins.

Senior Player
    Maths not my strong point, but if they lose by a point, will their percentage really drop by almost 4? Seems a lot for such a wee loss?
    The drop of almost 4 was for that specific example of an 80-81 loss (or a 81-80 win).

If they lose 0-1, their percentage drops almost nothing, the same as if they win 1-0.

If they lose 100 to 101, they will lose more percentage than the 80-81 scenario (or a 101-100 win).

The percentage is their total scores from all games, divided by their total scores against. So if they have to keep scoring 131.6 points to every 100 points the opponents score to maintain their 131.6 percentage.

So narrow wins or losses will still hurt them a lot percentage wise, and more so if it is larger scores by each team (as then the ratio of scores against scores against narrows by more).

Buddy needs to play unless he asks to be rested, which is unlikely.

In: Ladhams
    Out: Hickey (managed)
    Sub: Joey

Leave Amartey in for another week though he didn’t do a lot but is handy in the ruck. Logan to come back against the Pies if Amartey doesn’t have a good game. Big Tom needs a rest as he clearly wasn’t 100% and will be needed for the finals. Harry just needs to be patient as the back 6 are playing well.

This will be a tough game and hope the boys don’t switch off mentally. We need to build confidence and play well in all our games leading to the finals. Winning form is what we want!

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Guess who I spotted lurking behind the Troy Luff stand!
    I give up, who?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Ladhams has missed three can’t see him coming straight in unless Hickey needs a rest or managed minutes .

The selection dilemma going forward before finals is our forward /ruck tall position.

Reid currently picks himself , Hickey also if fit.

Their leaves one position left between Amartey , McDonald or Ladhams

Could we really mix things up and run a 3 ruck combo of Hickey, Ladhams and Reid when all fit. Ladhams and Reid are better than handy forwards and Hickey causes match up problems when pushing forward .
    One could be resting on the bench while the other two are on the ground .
    Reid deserves to still be used as a Ruck at stages as he has been more than handy . Ladhams best games have been as a ruckman
    Food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I give up, who?
    I thought it was the great man himself middle of the picture with headphones on ?
    Or am I mistaken ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I thought it was the great man himself middle of the picture with headphones on ?
    Or am I mistaken ?
    That's definitely Luffy!

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Ladhams has missed three can’t see him coming straight in unless Hickey needs a rest or managed minutes .

The selection dilemma going forward before finals is our forward /ruck tall position.

Reid currently picks himself , Hickey also if fit.

Their leaves one position left between Amartey , McDonald or Ladhams

Could we really mix things up and run a 3 ruck combo of Hickey, Ladhams and Reid when all fit. Ladhams and Reid are better than handy forwards and Hickey causes match up problems when pushing forward .
    One could be resting on the bench while the other two are on the ground .
    Reid deserves to still be used as a Ruck at stages as he has been more than handy . Ladhams best games have been as a ruckman
    Food for thought
    Hickey’s not fit though.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast