Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 teams?

Senior Player
    Well, if the AFL is requiring them to have a new stadium (in Hobart presumably) that is a whole different ballgame. The new Allianz is
    costing north of a billion dollars allegedly, so you can see how a nicer Hobart version of Giants Stadium (holding 25,000) might run to
    400 or 500 million. And the only group capable of funding that will be the jolly old taxpayer. The plot thickens.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Very well thought out analysis Thunder Shaker. Managing the byes is the stickiest point. No teams wants a bye in the early rounds and finals bound teams would love a bye late in the season, assuming the current pre-finals bye week is removed? Your handling of the byes is the fairest solution even though it will still cause angst because of the nature having byes.
    I expect the pre-finals bye will remain in some form.

IMO the AFL should rework the pre-finals bye by playing the elimination finals in that week. A precedent: when the then VFL had a final four with four finals, one final was played in each week. That's why the final four had a First Semi-Final and a Second Semi Final: the First Semi Final was called that because it was played first.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The AFL had already stated that there will be one new stadium to house the new club.....so it's unlikely they'll be playing at two venues. I agree though that this is the best way to make a Tassie team succeed. The whole state needs to feel involved.
    The AFL regularly schedules matches at stadiums with a low capacity. Examples: Ballarat, Alice Springs, Cairns, Canberra. I don't see a low-capacity stadium in Tasmania as an obstacle, especially when the AFL already schedules matches at two such stadiums in Tasmania.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have often wondered if the AFL put the stadium condition up as a hindrance to actually getting a Tassie team off the ground. I wouldn't put it past them.
    I suspect you may be correct here. Some issues raised in my original post may be pertinent: the need for byes, calling into question the double up games, the possibility of a shorter season. The need for a shorter season with 14% fewer matches overall may be the deal breaker, as it would of necessity reduce the value of the broadcast rights. However, the AFL could get creative here. The right to rebroadcast old classic matches could be included in future deals.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Well, if the AFL is requiring them to have a new stadium (in Hobart presumably) that is a whole different ballgame. The new Allianz is
    costing north of a billion dollars allegedly, so you can see how a nicer Hobart version of Giants Stadium (holding 25,000) might run to
    400 or 500 million. And the only group capable of funding that will be the jolly old taxpayer. The plot thickens.
    Federal Labor could do with a push in Tasmania so I'm sure they'll be keen to pork barrel a new stadium with our money to buy a swag of votes.

Thinning of the talent pool some more, spreading out a clubs draft picks a bit more, just some of the results of a new team unless the Tasmanian academy can suddenly produce a lot more AFL standard draftees than they currently do.

Think the AFL has played hard ball to get the Tas Guvment to cough up more money.

In the next 250 millions years or so Tasmania will likely once again be part of a subcontinent Gondwana and it will be possible to drive from Melbourne to Hobart. I think Tassie will then be in a much better position to get that 19th license. They just need to be a little more patient. In the meantime they can try to get the literacy rate over 50%.

I spent 10 years in Cygnet, Tasmania guiding our Boys from Brazil project that has cone to fruition today. So I have soft spot for Tassie in my heart fro them. It' a geat place with with good growing conditions in warmer summers and a good mix of rednecks and radical new age progressive.They deserve an AFL Team.

Suspended by the MRP
    No

Senior Player
    It is interesting. David Walsh has spent way more on MONA and the art inside it than it's ever going to cost to run a pithy football team.
    And he's a local. I know, he went to my high school for a couple years. They are not all poor down there. We are going down in a couple
    weeks. I'll suggest a MONA sponsorship deal for the 19th team.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    That’s pretty outrageous. I run a business and I decide I’d like to expand it but only if the Australian taxpayer chucks in half a billion dollars first.

That’s some business model

Regular in the Side
    whats wrong with sending nth down south. bring back ross oakley.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    That’s pretty outrageous. I run a business and I decide I’d like to expand it but only if the Australian taxpayer chucks in half a billion dollars first.

That’s some business model
    You will need to "pivot" into the stadium business then MW. The good old taxpayer has gotten to pay for every last one of them.
    That is the business model. My advice though would be to stay away from them. There's no money in them. They are hideously
    expensive to run and always need to be fixed up (I see the Vic Gov is ploughing another $225M into improvements at Marvel).
    Last edited by KTigers; 2nd August 2022 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    whats wrong with sending nth down south. bring back ross oakley.
    Exactly. Given that we were moved to Sydney, an NRL State, and Fitzroy partially moved up north and morphed into the Brisbane Lions, I can’t see why Norf can’t relocate to Tassie. Call them the Hobart Shinboners! Our name changed when we relocated so no probs there. Tassie deserves a team as they play our game and they will get plenty of local support.

Move GWS to Canberra as they don’t have support in Sydney- one team is enough. Brisbane is ok but the Suns will remain a problem - should never have been formed as no supporter base. Shows AFL’s greed and lack of common sense!

Senior Player
    The Tas government have said time and again that they will not accept a transplanted team.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast