Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 teams?

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The Tas government have said time and again that they will not accept a transplanted team.
    This is the key point. A relocation is simply off the table. Won't happen.

The Tas government have said time and again that they will not accept a transplanted team.
    Just like Old Growth forests, the Tassie government thinks Old Growth teams should stay where they are.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just like Old Growth forests, the Tassie government thinks Old Growth teams should stay where they are.
    Yes, well actually there was the odd mix up involving trees down there over the years. As a youngster myself I got pretty handy with my dads
    chainsaw. It's bloody cold there in winter, you do need firewood. I'm pretty sure that was what all the fuss was about back then. "Elites" with
    air con trying to stop "Real Tasmanians" from staying warm in winter.

Veterans List
    Yes, well actually there was the odd mix up involving trees down there over the years. As a youngster myself I got pretty handy with my dads
    chainsaw. It's bloody cold there in winter, you do need firewood. I'm pretty sure that was what all the fuss was about back then. "Elites" with
    I find the term elites and it's meaning very confusing....it seems to differ depending on what side of politics one is from. I always thought they were people with money and power but some (those without a well functioning brain or with money and power) think it's those who actually have a brain.....and who threaten their privileged existence. Having said that, I'm all for firewood!

It can be bloody cold in summer in Tasmania.

Everyone has wood burning fireplaces. Even the Greenies. The objection has been over the use of old growth versus regrowth forest. When I was still living in Sydney in 1999, I took a few weeks cycling around Tassie. A few years later after having moved there, I revisited many of the same places and was shocked by the amount of old growth forest destruction in just a few short years. The corruption involving Forestry Tasmania has been tragic.

I haven't kept up with politics in Tasmania since moving to Thailand, but generally speaking, I wouldn't trust anything the government was involved in, unless things have dramatically changed in the past 10 years. Tasmania needs a lot more than a footy team to get things right.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I find the term elites and it's meaning very confusing....it seems to differ depending on what side of politics one is from. I always thought they were people with money and power but some (those without a well functioning brain or with money and power) think it's those who actually have a brain.....and who threaten their privileged existence. Having said that, I'm all for firewood!
    Amen to all that.

Did the NSW government have a say when we relocated to Sydney?
    Of course, government help is welcomed but surely this is an AFL decision. If it stacks up, it should be done.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Did the NSW government have a say when we relocated to Sydney?
    Of course, government help is welcomed but surely this is an AFL decision. If it stacks up, it should be done.
    I really can't remember what if any, involvement the NSW government had. I would lean towards minimal. We did get the
    SCG as our home ground. I do remember the team training at Erskineville Oval for a while. Money was very very tight in the
    early days in Sydney.
    Any team in Tassy won't happen without the Tas government paying for most of it. It's their dough, they are not going to
    be uninvolved.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Probably good news for us and our Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Probably good news for us and our Academy.
    I think that is great news for the development of our game. All States now covered off. I assume your remark about the Academy suggests that the new team will include the same deal as us for developing local talent via an Academy? If so, I totally agree.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Yep, and the more teams with a vested interest in the academies, the harder it will be for the "level playing field" bs artists to shut them down.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast