Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 teams?

Why would Tassie need an academy?

If Tassie gets a team sooner rather later, I wonder if it makes someone like Lach Cowan more of a flight risk to recruiters? You'd think there would be a certain amount of romanticism attached for some Tassie players to play for their inaugural state's AFL team.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Tassie's Academy
    The Tassie team will abslutely be given complete access to their state.
    AFL in Tasmania is taking a beating in the battle for kids
    No point going into Tassie if you're not going to invest in reversing that trend
    The academies seem to generate more mature/professional players
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Tassie's Academy
    The Tassie team will abslutely be given complete access to their state.
    AFL in Tasmania is taking a beating in the battle for kids
    No point going into Tassie if you're not going to invest in reversing that trend
    The academies seem to generate more mature/professional players
    That doesn't make sense to me. The idea of the academies, at least at their inception, was to increase the proportion of kids in the designated area playing Aussie Rules rather than the dominant sports in those areas.

On the face of it, there would appear to be no need for such an incentive in an overwhelmingly Aussie Rules state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me. The idea of the academies, at least at their inception, was to increase the proportion of kids in the designated area playing Aussie Rules rather than the dominant sports in those areas.

On the face of it, there would appear to be no need for such an incentive in an overwhelmingly Aussie Rules state.
    I agree. You would think that just having an AFL club in Tassie and a new stadium would be more than enough incentive for Tassie kids to be involved in the game.

I lived 10 years in Tassie and think it's a great place, especially for kids coming from the country and not attracted by the big city. I don't see a go home factor for big island draftees. The low relative cost of living would be another incentive to go to Tassie. I would prefer to be picked by the Tassie club than a Sydney club, for the financial benefits alone.

I can see some incentive program giving priority access to Tassie kids to stay in Tassie, without having the need for a formal academy. It might even be the same priority access as for academy and FS prospects, especially in the start up period.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree. You would think that just having an AFL club in Tassie and a new stadium would be more than enough incentive for Tassie kids to be involved in the game.

I lived 10 years in Tassie and think it's a great place, especially for kids coming from the country and not attracted by the big city. I don't see a go home factor for big island draftees. The low relative cost of living would be another incentive to go to Tassie. I would prefer to be picked by the Tassie club than a Sydney club, for the financial benefits alone.

I can see some incentive program giving priority access to Tassie kids to stay in Tassie, without having the need for a formal academy. It might even be the same priority access as for academy and FS prospects, especially in the start up period.
    Lot of people in Tassie unhappy at the new stadium demand by AFL. In their eyes, money should be spent on other needs and they already have at least one adequate ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Lot of people in Tassie unhappy at the new stadium demand by AFL. In their eyes, money should be spent on other needs and they already have at least one adequate ground.
    I would agree with those sentiments. I think that all of my Tassie friends would be against the new stadium and couldn't care less about having an AFL team.

Senior Player
    Arrogant and insensitive demand by AFL I reckon. Not surprising.

Veterans List
    With the weather in Hobart through winter you definitely need an all weather stadium.

If you don't, players won't want to get drafted there to train in the freezing cold and rain, if they do get drafted there they'll go home quicker than they do from GWS & GC. The playing surface would be crap, spectators won't turn up in the rain and wind. Got to have a modern all weather facility, preferably with stadium heating :-)

AFL knows all this, that's why it's a not negotiable condition on the licence. If it's not in the licence conditions it will never get built and Tasmania will become another dead weight on the competition like Norf, Saints, GWS and GC.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I think your information of Aussie Rules in Tassie is a little out of date. From reports I've read over the last 5 years at least, AFL in Tassie is in big trouble - junior male participation rates have been sliding and a lot of local clubs are amalgamating or folding outright.
    Which is why an academy is needed.
    I'm sure the sucess of the Jackjumpers has made the AFL look a bit silly, which as we know they hate looking.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

The average winter daytime temperature is only 1 degree colder in Hobart than Melbourne and the rainfall is about the same. But I guess that's enough to make those poor little AFL boys crying their eiyes out until they're back with mummy.

Or maybe they can be traded to the Gold Coast to thaw out before heading back to Melbourne.

Perhaps the Tassie government should try getting the literacy rate above 50% before chasing an AFL franchise.

If All Blacks can live and play in Christchurch and Dunedin then I’m sure some much higher paid 18 year olds can cope.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast