Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Tom McCartin has been great this year, particularly when you take into account he's still pretty young and still learning as a key defender. He's had two forwards this year that have gotten hold of him to the point where he looked like he didn't know how to play them - Larkey yesterday and Charlie Curnow earlier in the year.

But even though McCartin did seem befuddled by Larkey, he wasn't responsible for all seven goals. Maybe four. It's something for him to work on over the off-season - how to adjust against an opponent if what he's doing isn't working. Though it's very hard to stop a leading player when the ball is being kicked cleanly to him, especially those who jump into the mark (as Curnow certainly was doing against him, and Larkey mostly too).

I find the idea that Melican or Gould might have done better somewhat perplexing.
    Liz, I agree that Tom has been good, but being a young defender is no excuse- you can apply that to almost anybody.
    My point is not just about the goals kicked on him: it’s about the drop in confidence, as he did only a couple of things the whole game. I’m sure he won’t be dropped but I was very disappointed with his game as he consistently got in the wrong position and then gave away the free. Can you recall more than 2-3 useful possessions? Not enough from KPD if your opponent is kicking goals. And the deliveries to Larkey were no better than ours to Buddy.

Chad isn't only the leading coaches vote-getter for the Swans in this match AND for the season - he's also coming 11th competition wide!! Chad's time has arrived FAST! He really is an impactful player and he just seems to be doing everything well. I was excited when I saw him training with tackle bags in his first pre-season. Then he started his career slowly and, unlike TB, I did not foresee what he would so quickly become. It's been like a rocket taking off.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Liz, I agree that Tom has been good, but being a young defender is no excuse- you can apply that to almost anybody.
    My point is not just about the goals kicked on him: it’s about the drop in confidence, as he did only a couple of things the whole game. I’m sure he won’t be dropped but I was very disappointed with his game as he consistently got in the wrong position and then gave away the free. Can you recall more than 2-3 useful possessions? Not enough from KPD if your opponent is kicking goals. And the deliveries to Larkey were no better than ours to Buddy.
    The point is that it's been a great learning experience for Tom (fortunately one that didn't even cost us) and, more pertinently, there is nothing to suggest that Melican, Gould or anyone else would have done any better. McCartin has won selection because he is the best we have - and as good as those others have been at times in the VFL I haven't seen anything to suggest they're better than Tom.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Looks like the #2s gave up a good 3/4 time lead by letting the Roos kick on in the final quarter.

Sam Wicks 28 touches and 3 goals. Who’d’ve thought.
    He still looks like an out of control energizer battery running around forward except when he's part of a chain of movements, takes a mark and stops the flow of the game by taking an eternity to decide what to do next and invariably then just kicks it forward anyway to a crowded target.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Chad isn't only the leading coaches vote-getter for the Swans in this match AND for the season - he's also coming 11th competition wide!! Chad's time has arrived FAST! He really is an impactful player and he just seems to be doing everything well. I was excited when I saw him training with tackle bags in his first pre-season. Then he started his career slowly and, unlike TB, I did not foresee what he would so quickly become. It's been like a rocket taking off.
    I'm beginning to think that everyone with blood as part of their monniker on here is just a chad Chaddy

- - - Updated - - -

The point is that it's been a great learning experience for Tom (fortunately one that didn't even cost us) and, more pertinently, there is nothing to suggest that Melican, Gould or anyone else would have done any better. McCartin has won selection because he is the best we have - and as good as those others have been at times in the VFL I haven't seen anything to suggest they're better than Tom.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    He still looks like an out of control energizer battery running around forward except when he's part of a chain of movements, takes a mark and stops the flow of the game by taking an eternity to decide what to do next and invariably then just kicks it forward anyway to a crowded target.
    Yes, despite his possessions and goals, please keep him in the twos for now. Low value in the firsts.

Suspended by the MRP
    You watch , Errol Jmac and Blakey will be the same

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You watch , Errol Jmac and Blakey will be the same
    The Blakey and Errol rockets have already taken off..there's no need to announce them. It's obvious and has been for quite some time.
    I think we are all astute enough to see that.
    Perhaps commentators have taken a while but they're now regularly commenting on the sweet Gulden left foot(amongst a multitude of skills and traits he possesses) and Blakey- well I'd pick him first in any side I was picking.

Can we afford learning experiences this side of the finals? Don’t get me wrong- I also think that Tom is the best we have, but only when playing well. Which unfortunately wasn’t there yesterday. Hence my question: do we rest him for 1 game and bring in the Pelican?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Can we afford learning experiences this side of the finals? Don’t get me wrong- I also think that Tom is the best we have, but only when playing well. Which unfortunately wasn’t there yesterday. Hence my question: do we rest him for 1 game and bring in the Pelican?
    No not for Melican...I feel more at ease with Tom there any day no matter what day Tom is having..
    The only think I'd love Tom to do better is to sometimes catch the ball when he can instead of fisting it away.

I don't want to see the Melican dance where he arrives late for a contest and then has the turning arc of a semi trailer.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    The Blakey and Errol rockets have already taken off..there's no need to announce them. It's obvious and has been for quite some time.
    I think we are all astute enough to see that.
    Perhaps commentators have taken a while but they're now regularly commenting on the sweet Gulden left foot(amongst a multitude of skills and traits he possesses) and Blakey- well I'd pick him first in any side I was picking.
    Thhey know they will be good but they dont know how good . All 4 will be top 10 players in the comp in 5 years , maybe not Blakey but he will be close

Veteran Site Admin
    Chad isn't only the leading coaches vote-getter for the Swans ... for the season
    Apart from the bloke immediately above him on the leaderboard.