Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 22: vs Collingwood on Sunday 14 August, 3:20 PM at the SCG

Senior Player

Rnd 22: vs Collingwood on Sunday 14 August, 3:20 PM at the SCG

Second last game of the round, and we will be playing for 2nd spot as we will know Melbourne’s and Brisbane’s percentages by the time we play.

Hard to change a winning team.

Stephens had his worst game in a while, but it was a very high pressure game. Tom McCartin was towelled by Larkey and gave away at least one stupid free kick that led to a goal (when he threw a player to the ground behind Paddy in the first half).

McInerney and Clarke were also not that influential.

Logan was great in his first game back however and deserves to stay in.

I’d say keep the team unchanged, or give McInerney a rest for one game and see how Cunningham goes post injury. He was in our best 22 for most of the season so we wouldn’t lose that much with the swap.

Veteran Site Admin
    David King observed today (on his regular SEN radio slot with Whately) that the Swans lead the way in personnel consistency, with 20 players all playing the last six games. He then pointed out that Hickey has played 4 out of 5, meaning only two spots (he was referring to the 23) have changed more than a single game. But when you consider that one of those spots has effectively been rotated between McDonald and Amartey over the second half of the season, and the other is the sub that we've rarely had to use and thus rotated amongst players, it does show that we've been very fortunate injury wise this year.

Depth is always strongest when you don't actually have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    David King observed today (on his regular SEN radio slot with Whately) that the Swans lead the way in personnel consistency, with 20 players all playing the last six games. He then pointed out that Hickey has played 4 out of 5, meaning only two spots (he was referring to the 23) have changed more than a single game. But when you consider that one of those spots has effectively been rotated between McDonald and Amartey over the second half of the season, and the other is the sub that we've rarely had to use and thus rotated amongst players, it does show that we've been very fortunate injury wise this year.

Depth is always strongest when you don't actually have to use it.
    We’ve been winning lately and so virtually no/minimal changes and as you say fortunate with injuries. However, it doesn’t mean some players are not a bit down on form and hopefully our coaches can help overcome this concern.

When we have all 22 contributing, we can beat any other team, including the Pies!

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Second last game of the round, and we will be playing for 2nd spot as we will know Melbourne’s and Brisbane’s percentages by the time we play.

Hard to change a winning team.

Stephens had his worst game in a while, but it was a very high pressure game. Tom McCartin was towelled by Larkey and gave away at least one stupid free kick that led to a goal (when he threw a player to the ground behind Paddy in the first half).

McInerney and Clarke were also not that influential.

Logan was great in his first game back however and deserves to stay in.

I’d say keep the team unchanged, or give McInerney a rest for one game and see how Cunningham goes post injury. He was in our best 22 for most of the season so we wouldn’t lose that much with the swap.
    I thought Stephens grew into the game and was pretty much one of our best in the last quarter when we lost our way a little.. he does the one percenters really well. That late fist flying to stop a mark and he covered a lot of ground. That was my observation

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I thought Stephens grew into the game and was pretty much one of our best in the last quarter when we lost our way a little.. he does the one percenters really well. That late fist flying to stop a mark and he covered a lot of ground. That was my observation
    Yeah, I saw that play too and thought it was a good effort. I didn't pay much attention to rest of the fourth quarter as it was so cruddy. My more lasting impression of Stephens was the missed set shot at goal from a slight angle, and the two hacked kicks that went straight to opponents.

I am not saying he should be dropped, but I think it was fair to say it was his worst (or second worst) game in terms of influence since his recall. Certainly one his last seven or eight games has to be his worst, and I think it happened to be the most recent outing.

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    That kid moves like a leopard but kicks like a duck. Still an exciting prospect worth persevering with. Just love watching that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Cant see changes other than Stephens out, and that would be unfair. It all comes down to match ups - who are we worried about that we need to match up on? I dont see any super speedy types in Collingwood to lock down, which is what Cunningham is good for. Maybe a worry with N Daicos? Someone to hold Elliot? I think Ryan Clarke on Maynard is the most important match up of the lot, closely followed by Rowbottom on De Goey.

No changes. Consistency is key at this point of the year. Play similar roles week in week out and you get better at that role.

Clarke to go to Nick Daicos.
    Tom McCartin to go to the resting ruck (Cox/Cameron)
    Rampe to Mihocek
    Fox to Elliot.
    Paddy Mc to float and intercept

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    Rowbottom on De Goey.
    To quote an old advert I’d like to see that and if so I back James every day of the week

For those who don’t get the reference enjoy although maybe it hasn’t aged that well🤔
    https://youtu.be/w2TO35rZjO4
    Last edited by Faunac8; 9th August 2022 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    No changes. Consistency is key at this point of the year. Play similar roles week in week out and you get better at that role.

Clarke to go to Nick Daicos.
    Tom McCartin to go to the resting ruck (Cox/Cameron)
    Rampe to Mihocek
    Fox to Elliot.
    Paddy Mc to float and intercept
    Yep, I like that. Tom Mac will be fine on Cameron but not sure against the taller Cox. He could be a problem for us if he stays fairly close to goals.

Sunday SELLOUT at the SCG!

Already sold out. Now let’s hope all the members go to ensure a full house.,

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    Rowbottom on De Goey.
    This might be a good matchup, but I think Mills on De Goey would be better, given that Mills can cover him in both the midfield and when De Goey goes forward. Also, Mills is better in the air than Roey. So I think Mills has more bases covered.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast