Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rnd 22: vs Collingwood on Sunday 14 August, 3:20 PM at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Bell has the tank to be competitive all game. I know he has failed to be really effective in the senior team with his opportunities so far.

However, Stephens took a while to get to where he is now (definite inclusion each week), though admittedly he had proven underlying talent to be taken as a top five pick.

I like Bell and want him to succeed, and it would be good for the team too of course if he was able to be a viable option every week for the bottom six/sub spot. With JPK out now, he could be thrown into the midfield (as sub) if there is an injury?
    I think Campbell, not Bell, is your better comparison to Stephens.

Bell is solid in the VFL but just doesn’t have the class for the AFL. Already he has had more chances than most fringe players even get and doesn’t deserve any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Just putting it out there… does anyone out there need a ticket?
    I'm interested. How do we message?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I think Campbell, not Bell, is your better comparison to Stephens.

Bell is solid in the VFL but just doesn’t have the class for the AFL. Already he has had more chances than most fringe players even get and doesn’t deserve any more.
    I could be wrong, but I feel like James has excelled in the magoos running through the midfield but when given a chance in the seniors he plays in the forward line. Opportunities are circumstantial for fringe players, and they need to try to adapt, but I wonder how he'd go at seniors if he spent a little more time outside of the forward 1/3 of the ground.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I could be wrong, but I feel like James has excelled in the magoos running through the midfield but when given a chance in the seniors he plays in the forward line. Opportunities are circumstantial for fringe players, and they need to try to adapt, but I wonder how he'd go at seniors if he spent a little more time outside of the forward 1/3 of the ground.
    This was TB’s main point regarding Bell- he wanted him to play in the mids, which is where he plays well in the magoos.
    And he could be right- but the thing is, we have better options there with our youngsters and the only slot available is HF, where he underwhelms. So Campbell please.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    This was TB’s main point regarding Bell- he wanted him to play in the mids, which is where he plays well in the magoos.
    And he could be right- but the thing is, we have better options there with our youngsters and the only slot available is HF, where he underwhelms. So Campbell please.
    Bell was also drafted as an inside mid, not a forward.

It is a shame that he hasn’t been able to adapt to a forward role given that has been the only opening for him when he has been selected to the senior team.

Maybe they keep persevering with him as he was an academy player and they have invested a lot in him over the years and know/see things in him through that long relationship that we haven’t seen in his senior appearances.

But as I said, Stephens has come good, so Bell (and Campbell) may yet do so.

The challenge for us is if he does become a good midfielder, he will be competing with Gus and Roberts for a spot that doesn’t exist until, eg Parker retires or there is an injury.

Clarke wasn’t a forward until seven weeks ago, so likewise, they could try Bell as a small/mid defender, if there is an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Bell was also drafted as an inside mid, not a forward.

It is a shame that he hasn’t been able to adapt to a forward role given that has been the only opening for him when he has been selected to the senior team.

Maybe they keep persevering with him as he was an academy player and they have invested a lot in him over the years and know/see things in him through that long relationship that we haven’t seen in his senior appearances.

But as I said, Stephens has come good, so Bell (and Campbell) may yet do so.

The challenge for us is if he does become a good midfielder, he will be competing with Gus and Roberts for a spot that doesn’t exist until, eg Parker retires or there is an injury.

Clarke wasn’t a forward until seven weeks ago, so likewise, they could try Bell as a small/mid defender, if there is an injury.
    really good post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Just putting it out there… does anyone out there need a ticket?
    Has it already gone?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Interesting preview of the game in this article covering both sides’ playing styles

https://www.footytalkingpoints.com.au/post/ftp-afl-22
    That's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    really good post

- - - Updated - - -

Has it already gone?
    Yes.

Veterans List
    I want to beat the Pies for any number of different reasons, but beating them to spite Maguire is still very close to the top reason!

A turd of a bloke who did us a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I want to beat the Pies for any number of different reasons, but beating them to spite Maguire is still very close to the top reason!

A turd of a bloke who did us a lot of damage.
    Agree. He went after us with Cola, Franklin recruiting and then the treatment of Adam. Nothing better than seeing his face after the pies lose a game - particularly today.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456