Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs Collingwood Match Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Whether the stand rule applies in this case is irrelevant as the Collingwood player moved forward over the mark, it should have been 50m penalty to Paddy. My take on what happened is that Paddy didn't hear the umpire call mark, saw Johnson coming at him, must have thought it was not a mark and hence to play on, and then played on.
    This is my view. It was Johnson's encroachment over the mark which triggered Paddy's movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    …With the Ginnivan booing, I think it occurred because of the high free he was paid. On replay the free was there, but he again lowered his body, as he has been doing all year. Without seeing a replay I'm sure supporters at the game thought he was staging and got away with it. I'm curious was he being booed before that free? Also it was poor of channel 7 to keep showing him after he was booed the first time.
    Good point. I did watch the game again last night & noted the booing mostly seemed to come after the free kick. But not too many chances prior to this perhaps?

But I agree that was probably the trigger - but the free was there (I checked it out). Papley could’ve got one as well - but that was “good umpiring” according to BT.

& Btw, yes, Fox had a cracker of a game. The best I’ve seen him play I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

With the Ginnivan booing, I think it occurred because of the high free he was paid. On replay the free was there, but he again lowered his body, as he has been doing all year. Without seeing a replay I'm sure supporters at the game thought he was staging and got away with it. I'm curious was he being booed before that free? Also it was poor of channel 7 to keep showing him after he was booed the first time.
    You can hear some boos for him in the first quarter, well before the free kick. But obviously the free kick exacerbated it. Unfortunately the broadcast decision and media focus has turned something silly but minor into a much bigger deal. People don’t like being told they’re wrong and I suspect the booing will continue. Hope I’m wrong.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    No, it isn't unfair. He's getting the negative feedback that he deserves. ...
    Nope, he is a teenager that the media has made the poster boy for ducking/dropping for free kicks. There a many footballers across the league that do the same thing. Jack doesn't deserve to be booed when sitting on the bench injured.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nope, he is a teenager that the media has made the poster boy for ducking/dropping for free kicks. There a many footballers across the league that do the same thing. Jack doesn't deserve to be booed when sitting on the bench injured.
    No, his staging for free kicks is not a media beat up. His staging for frees is an entirely voluntary facet of his game*. While I'm sure that there's elements of media throwing petrol on the fire, all he has to do is to stop the flagrant staging and there's every likelihood that the controversy will immediately stop. Or the focus will move on to another of the more theatrical milkers, like Weightman.

And even though I don't consume that much AFL media, there seems to me that there's now other sections of the media running with a 'why are they picking on poor Jack' narrative. Which to me, is a guarantee that the controversy will continue and that he'll keep on staging. Which is because it's rewarding his poor behaviour, with sympathetic attention. He's also being rewarded with soft frees, when the tackler had no intention of hitting him high. And it should be remembered, that the AFL has told the umpires to not be so willing to give frees for high contact, because it was obvious to everyone, that he and a few notable others, but mostly Ginnivan, were continually being rewarded for their cheating tactics. But that justified negative feedback, which was given to him by the AFL, has not seemed to have altered his behaviour. So, more is required.

One part of that, is opposition fans reacting with hostility to the flagrant staging of him and others. (And I do think that people aren't really thinking it through, if they imagine that AFL fans will happily and quietly accept, that their team has just been dudded a charity goal from a non-existent free.) But the best sort of negative feedback that he could get right now, is for his colleagues at Collingwood to tell him to pull his head in. That is, they should be aware enough, to realise that as long as he keeps staging, then the controversy will continue. And they should inform him, that if he no longer wants to be reviled, then he should start behaving with some integrity.

And by the way, I did think it was a touch unnecessary, to boo an injured player sitting on the bench. But that only appeared to be a very small section of the crowd, late in the game, after 7 persisted in showing multiple shots of the Collingwood bench for some reason.

*Since he stages so often, it now might not be entirely voluntary. It might actually be progressing towards a habitual behaviour, that's becoming instinctively adopted when in traffic?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I giggled at Jack being booed when on the big screen, and was amused at what seemed to be him hamming it up and being playful with the crowd with pouting his lips then smiling. In hindsight, he is a very young man and probably didn't need the extra boos whilst injured- even if tongue in cheek.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Well, they could say the same thing about the booing of Ginnivan. It’s very poor form. Plus the way the big screen came back to him for a second round. I was very disappointed &, frankly, embarrassed by that.

That’s not us. And I’d like the club admin to come out and say as much. It’s moronic.
    +1

I don’t like Collingwood but this is teenager who grew up watching Joel Selwood. I can’t help thinking that this is how it began for Adam Goodes, with ignorant people following along like sheep and only considering themselves and overlooking the consequences of their actions on a young man who has done nothing wrong but be a rascal.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    +1

I don’t like Collingwood but this is teenager who grew up watching Joel Selwood. I can’t help thinking that this is how it began for Adam Goodes, with ignorant people following along like sheep and only considering themselves and overlooking the consequences of their actions on a young man who has done nothing wrong but be a rascal.
    Once again, comparing Goodes is entirely false equivalence. Adam was the victim of a racist agenda, largely pushed by high profile, right wing media types. Ginnivan is a victim of his own flagrant staging.

Sydney vs Collingwood Match Thread

Further to some of the comments about the actions that he is persecuted for, if we are being honest we need to realize that Errol and Tom Papley are expert exponents of the same loophole. The main difference is that they haven’t had the arrogance/naïveté to assume there would not be a backlash if they were honest about their intent.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Once again, comparing Goodes is entirely false equivalence. Adam was the victim of a racist agenda, largely pushed by high profile, right wing media types. Ginnivan is a victim of his own flagrant staging.
    I am not suggesting that there a direct correlation rather I am annoyed that sections of the crowd feel the need to persecute a stranger for no good reason.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I agree the free kick was there every day of the week and deserved to be paid.
    Booing an injured player is not a good look.
    Some people like to say well what about Adam he was booed by supporters everywhere but forget that the justification offered up by many was that he staged for free kicks and so that was why he was targeted which does sound familiar ?
    Now I don’t think for one minute that was the only reason Adam was victimised by a large number of opposition supporters but it was without a doubt a commonly held perception at the time.
    I still believe that initially his being booed by many supporters was the staging perception.
    Unfortunately this morphed into a distinct racial angle after his calling out racial abuse during the Collingwood game during indigenous round in 2013.
    There was without doubt a racial angle at play prior to this and I remember being at games where the expression cheating black …. was thrown around freely.
    From then on it had nasty undertones and was without doubt a shameful period in the history of the game.
    Getting back to my initial point I am the first one to boo a poor umpire decision or a player who has committed a flagrant foul action against one of the players on the team that I support, however booing or jeering any player based simply on perception is pretty poor and I think we need to be aware of the potential impact it has on young mens mental well-being.

Changing the subject entirely, this is a nice article regarding Ryan Clarke.

Sydney Swans midfielder Ryan Clarke enjoying career resurgence after spending most of past two years in the twos

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk