Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 23, vs St Kilda at Marvel, on Sunday 14 August, 2:40 PM

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    I think we are a little too hard on Clarke, his role is to negate. Nearly every possession he gets he has one or two opponents hanging off his shorts, rarely does he get time & space. When you think about Warner, McInerny & Stephens they all get the opportunity to run in open space. You don't see Clarke get that luxury too often.

I'm not saying he is perfect, but is a part of a perfect team, he is always were the heat is.
    I like Clarke too and am happy at his resurgence. He did however butcher an ‘easy’ running 20-30 meter kick to an open Buddy who had broken free on a lead in the forward 50 in the second half.

There was no one hanging on him or impending tackle, just poor skill execution under little pressure.

Gulden makes a few shocking kicks under no pressure every now and then too, but he is given a pass by most (TB does call him out for trying to be too clever at times) because he makes so many great kicks.

That said, I think Clarke has done more than enough to stay in the team.

I would be happy with no changes as well, and think this is most likely. But I would also be happy to see Cunningham replace Clarke in the defensive forward role.

I was one of those who called for Clarke to be given a go in the seniors, so on that account I am pleased that he's done so well.

As said in another thread, Clarke looked a bit lost with ball in hand. I think Cunningham may well be able to do the lock down job as well as Clarke, and his record shows that he is composed under pressure and can use the ball well.

There is also every possibility that Clarke will work his way into the speed of the game and handle those situations when he's part of the offence somewhat better than he did on Sunday. His skills are not all that bad. He just got caught in some tight situations. He's improved his disposal, especially his kicking, since coming to the Swans. I wouldn't be surprised if his improvement continues.

Looking ahead to the finals, I'm a bit concerned that our opponents will work out how to exploit Clarke and diminish his effectiveness. Once something like this gets highlighted the coaching staff of opposition teams go to work on it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I am finding it hard to get too excited until we've beaten St Kilda.
    Same. They have the home advantage, and teams have a habit of rebounding after a poor week.
    It only takes Higgins to pop up, or King to get some kicking mojo back: very poor of late but was more reliable in earlier rounds and has kicked 6.0 vs Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would be happy with no changes as well, and think this is most likely. But I would also be happy to see Cunningham replace Clarke in the defensive forward role.

I was one of those who called for Clarke to be given a go in the seniors, so on that account I am pleased that he's done so well.

As said in another thread, Clarke looked a bit lost with ball in hand. I think Cunningham may well be able to do the lock down job as well as Clarke, and his record shows that he is composed under pressure and can use the ball well.

There is also every possibility that Clarke will work his way into the speed of the game and handle those situations when he's part of the offence somewhat better than he did on Sunday. His skills are not all that bad. He just got caught in some tight situations. He's improved his disposal, especially his kicking, since coming to the Swans. I wouldn't be surprised if his improvement continues.

Looking ahead to the finals, I'm a bit concerned that our opponents will work out how to exploit Clarke and diminish his effectiveness. Once something like this gets highlighted the coaching staff of opposition teams go to work on it.
    One thing I quite like about Clarke as a defensive forward, is that it narrows down his disposal options. If he gets the ball in the forward 50, then generally his options are: quickly kick for goal, quickly get it to a more talented forward, or if he's marked it, go back and take a shot. He usually doesn't have the midfield situation, where he gets the ball, has a long think about the different options, and then chooses the wrong one.

And I do think he should stay in the side. Longmire has seemed pretty chuffed in recent press conferences, about both Daicos and Dawson having had to move to half forward, in order to get away from Clarke.

Watching the replay Clarke did have some very useful tap ons, but some of his actual disposals were a bit ordinary. His first instinct (offensively) isn’t great, and he’s played 7 (?) games now so should have picked up the speed of the game if that were the issue. But while Harry is speedier I don’t think of him as being particularly composed with the ball either. Would be interesting to see him in the defensive forward role and whether he has the same negating effect as Clarke. Tough to drop Clarke after a perfect win record this year!

I would love to see no changes this week.

Regular in the Side
    Horse answered questions today " in details" about team selections, role playing and ruckman.. Typically, he has not ruled out any changes Have a read at Ruck Questions Answered. The Full interview can also be viewed from the following video: Press Conference 16 Aug

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Two changes -
    Rampe to defensive half forward and kicks three.
    Gould gets a debut.
    Someone (no one deserves it) gets two weeks rest.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    What's the bet this week that King kicks 5 straight?

No changes this week. Why change a team in winning form? Its really jelling now so let's keep it going. Saints will be hoping to finish their season on a high but as long as we come to play and play four quarters we will just have too much class for them. A strong win and second place beckons!

OUT: Booing Ginnivan
    IN: Celebrating Hanners

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What's the bet this week that King kicks 5 straight?
    Danger game!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast