Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 23, vs St Kilda at Marvel, on Sunday 14 August, 2:40 PM

Veterans List
    No changes.

SYDNEY

In: Nil
    Out: B.Campbell (Medi-Sub)

.....and George Hewitt is an emergency for Carlton....are they actually serious?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/825022/t...-swing-the-axe

Senior Player
    Sorry for cross posting. For us to get to 2nd, our required winning margin will depend on St Kilda's score.

This is what our winning margin needs to be to get to 130.6 percentage, based on what St Kilda scores

30 44.0
    40 47.1
    50 50.2
    60 53.2
    70 56.3
    80 59.3
    90 62.4
    100 65.5

So we need to win by 10 goals if St Kilda score 80. If St Kilda score 50, we *only* need to win by 8.2.

Damian Barratt reckons we are going to destroy them … our percentage over out last six weeks is huge.

It’s definitely possible

Yeah thanks Brisbane you spineless hacks.

My tip is 61-107 and we just fall short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Yeah thanks Brisbane you spineless hacks.

My tip is 61-107 and we just fall short.

If so, we would be short by the rubbish free kick goal that got Collingwood onto the scoreboard last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    If so, we would be short by the rubbish free kick goal that got Collingwood onto the scoreboard last week.
    Oh no!

I didn’t think of that.

Veteran Site Admin
    One positive from tonight is that it will be pretty hard for us to finish below fifth now, meaning we're unlikely to face Richmond in an elimination final (though I guess Carlton could win, and Essendon might pull something out of the fire against the Tigers). I think the Tigers are being over-rated by some of the media (certainly in terms of their chances of going all the way) but they do have the weapons to trouble most teams on their day.

Secondly, if we win on Sunday and match up against Melbourne in round one of the finals - wherever the game is - we go in against a team that's just had a soft kill. If you look at Melbourne's recent form, they've thrashed Brisbane twice, but otherwise they lost to Collingwood and the Dogs (a mediocre side) and only just fell over the line against Carlton. I guess there was a strong result against Freo in there too. While Melbourne looked very impressive tonight, I'm no more "scared" of them that I was before. They just have something that turns Brisbane to jelly.

Finally, the margin we now need to win by to secure second is so large that I don't think the team will start thinking about it until they're far enough ahead that the game is well and truly won.

Yes, last night's result was far from ideal for us but we should account for the Saints comfortably on Sunday. Its a matter of whether it will be enough. If we can get on top early as we often have in recent games, then a big win is quite plausible.

The Dees v The Jellies (gosh that’s a Liz ‘label’ to avoid) was so boring (after all the hype) as a contest, I dozed off and missed nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I am finding it hard to get too excited until we've beaten St Kilda.
    100%! Roll out the cliches, but that’s what they’re for.

Saints have nothing to lose at this point - so they will come at us looking for a big win. We need to be switched on from the get-go. Anything but a win for us will spoil all that good work & to lose by a lot will be a disaster.

C’mon Swannies!!

I like Clarke too and am happy at his resurgence. He did however butcher an ‘easy’ running 20-30 meter kick to an open Buddy who had broken free on a lead in the forward 50 in the second half.

There was no one hanging on him or impending tackle, just poor skill execution under little pressure…

…That said, I think Clarke has done more than enough to stay in the team.
    There were a number of kicks to that south-east corner of the SCG which went long and wide of the Buddy leads. RC’s was just one of ‘em. A decent breeze blowing that way?

He does need to keep polishing the disposal skills, however, as he seems to telegraph where he’s going and all it takes is a touch by the opponent to cause a turnover.

He’s been great at curtailing attacking weapons from other teams defensive zones, and there’s been a lot of talk about it across the media. Teams will work out how to get around it. I reckon there’ll be a lot of attention from those around him if he goes to Sinclair (say). Tag/block the tagger perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    One positive from tonight is that it will be pretty hard for us to finish below fifth now, meaning we're unlikely to face Richmond in an elimination final (though I guess Carlton could win, and Essendon might pull something out of the fire against the Tigers). I think the Tigers are being over-rated by some of the media (certainly in terms of their chances of going all the way) but they do have the weapons to trouble most teams on their day.

Secondly, if we win on Sunday and match up against Melbourne in round one of the finals - wherever the game is - we go in against a team that's just had a soft kill. If you look at Melbourne's recent form, they've thrashed Brisbane twice, but otherwise they lost to Collingwood and the Dogs (a mediocre side) and only just fell over the line against Carlton. I guess there was a strong result against Freo in there too. While Melbourne looked very impressive tonight, I'm no more "scared" of them that I was before. They just have something that turns Brisbane to jelly.

Finally, the margin we now need to win by to secure second is so large that I don't think the team will start thinking about it until they're far enough ahead that the game is well and truly won.
    That's such a good point about not having to worry about the margin as that will only come in to play once we've secured the win and are quite a long way in front.thats a real positive to win first and then the margin suddenly looms as the next target

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for cross posting. For us to get to 2nd, our required winning margin will depend on St Kilda's score.

This is what our winning margin needs to be to get to 130.6 percentage, based on what St Kilda scores

30 44.0
    40 47.1
    50 50.2
    60 53.2
    70 56.3
    80 59.3
    90 62.4
    100 65.5

So we need to win by 10 goals if St Kilda score 80. If St Kilda score 50, we *only* need to win by 8.2.
    Thank you for this.

I'll start looking at this once we look like we're in the way to a handy win

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast