Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Australian Rules/AFL - what's in a name?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Latter Rain version more like
    I had to google/internet search to find out what you were talking about. But I liked this line:

"many leaders of the movement embrace aberrant teachings": What is the Latter Rain Movement? | GotQuestions.org
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Speak for your own psyche. Mine is satisfied for its influence to be minuscule. "AFL" in this context is simply incorrect usage, in a similar category to "should of" or " must of" or "the powers to be". As an earlier poster pointed out, you can't play a game of Australian Football League. The point is that this form of usage is entirely contrived, not some sort of natural evolution. It was created by a corporate entity, the AFL no less, for its own commercial advantage. It has no linguistic integrity.
    Good on ya. Take a strong stand. Personally, I'm with you on this. I don't like the bastardization of language. I shutter to think if the "should ofs" should take over general English usage. The infiltration is bad enough.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ... I shutter to think if the "should ofs" should take over general English usage...
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Similar to "should of" is "somethink" (instead of something) and I am pretty sure I have heard Jobe Watson say that when commentating.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Similar to "should of" is "somethink" (instead of something) and I am pretty sure I have heard Jobe Watson say that when commentating.
    Jobe Watson likes to make up words. I'm trying to remember the word he made up when he was commentating one of our matches last year or the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Speak for your own psyche. Mine is satisfied for its influence to be minuscule. "AFL" in this context is simply incorrect usage, in a similar category to "should of" or " must of" or "the powers to be". As an earlier poster pointed out, you can't play a game of Australian Football League. The point is that this form of usage is entirely contrived, not some sort of natural evolution. It was created by a corporate entity, the AFL no less, for its own commercial advantage. It has no linguistic integrity.
    I agree that, at least in theory, the game should be called Aussie Rules. However, the nasty reality is that the AFL bows to no one (except those commercial and political entities that do or might be expected to provide it with money) and makes frequent (often crazy) changes to the rules of the game as it sees fit and without reference to other bodies organising Aussie Rules competitions. It is then up to those other bodies whether they implement the AFL's rule changes or not. The AFL is without doubt the dominant and all-controlling body in Aussie Rules and the net result is that it becomes simpler, and often more accurate, to talk about AFL rather than Aussie Rules. (Recall that, because of the AFL/VFL-driven rule changes over the last 50 years, the game has turned into a very different beast than what was originally envisaged.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Jobe Watson likes to make up words. I'm trying to remember the word he made up when he was commentating one of our matches last year or the year before.
    Oh I remember that match too! I had an involuntary physical reaction, similar to when someone says youse. But I can't remember what he exactly said.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    "interpretating" perhaps?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    "interpretating" perhaps?
    Yes I think that's it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234