Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The coaching merry-go-round

Veteran Site Admin

The coaching merry-go-round

Couldn't find a sensible place to put this, so figured I'd use it kick off a new general footy chat thread that is sure to be added to as the season transpires.

Sounds like Don is having fun with us at the moment and isn't in any rush to move elsewhere.

The questions Swans assistant must answer before pursuing senior job

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Couldn't find a sensible place to put this, so figured I'd use it kick off a new general footy chat thread that is sure to be added to as the season transpires.

Sounds like Don is having fun with us at the moment and isn't in any rush to move elsewhere.

That's very positive news, Liz. It seems that we have a really strong coaching group at present who get along very well. Pike is an important component of that. Hopefully, they will all receive a well earned pay rise soon with the soft cap rising soon.

Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified reporting tonight that Leon Cameron, ex-GWS coach, may be heading to the Swans soon in some form of coaching/support role. No comment on whether this means that someone else is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    That's very positive news, Liz. It seems that we have a really strong coaching group at present who get along very well. Pike is an important component of that. Hopefully, they will all receive a well earned pay rise soon with the soft cap rising soon.
    Our soft cap won’t go up quite as much after the covid breaches

Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified reporting tonight that Leon Cameron, ex-GWS coach, may be heading to the Swans soon in some form of coaching/support role. No comment on whether this means that someone else is leaving.
    I’ve never been a fan. Maybe he’s advising us on which players to poach?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Our soft cap won’t go up quite as much after the covid breaches
    Also, whilst on this type of subject, the AFL still hasn't announced list sizes for next year which makes list decisions really difficult around fringe players.

Gold Coast's assistance package is set to be reviewed shortly, they have more list spots, can add academy players for free (they have a likely top 10 plus a couple of others next year) and can add Darwin based players for free.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I was quite pleased that he wasn't named as one of the candidates for the GWS job. You'd think that if he was going to apply for a head coaching job, then the one where he doesn't have to move house, would be the most appealing.

I can't say I'm a big fan of him either - I think he really did seriously under achieve at GWS given a long time at it and a list most could only dream of for large chunks of his reign. However, I didn't really rate Pyke either and he has made a huge difference since coming on board, so one should trust that the club know what they are doing if there is any validity to the report.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Wonder if they’ll use him to mentor / develop players a bit like Mark Williams?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I can't say I'm a big fan of him either - I think he really did seriously under achieve at GWS given a long time at it and a list most could only dream of for large chunks of his reign. However, I didn't really rate Pyke either and he has made a huge difference since coming on board, so one should trust that the club know what they are doing if there is any validity to the report.
    In fairness Cameron might have had the 2016 flag stolen from him by the Bulldogs Umpires Academy. The Giants were stitched up
    even worse than us in their Prelim and still only lost by a goal or less. We'll never know for sure but GWS thumped us very convincingly
    in that QF at ANZ. Sorry to all for bringing up that dark time again.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    In fairness Cameron might have had the 2016 flag stolen from him by the Bulldogs Umpires Academy. The Giants were stitched up
    even worse than us in their Prelim and still only lost by a goal or less. We'll never know for sure but GWS thumped us very convincingly
    in that QF at ANZ. Sorry to all for bringing up that dark time again.
    Very good point. We weren't the only Sydney team screwed by the Poodle-friendly umpires in that final series!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Very good point. We weren't the only Sydney team screwed by the Poodle-friendly umpires in that final series!
    Yes, GWS lost by one goal, and the free kick count was 13-23 against them. We lost by 22 and the free kick count was 8-20 against us.
    You'd have to say 10 extra free kicks is worth a goal or more. Say the ground is 150-160M long then at least three of them are going
    to be in range of their goals. I'm starting to think it will take a generational change in the Poodles team
    before they get back to having the same sort of free kick differentials the other teams have. It's been going on a while now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast