Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Australian Swans?

Veteran Site Admin
    Clearly I need to eat my words re Papley. Very surprised.

I'm surprised, too, by the inclusions of Weitering (great first half of season, got injured and has been relatively mediocre since) and Josh Kelly (has the talent and maturity to drive the Giants on to being competitive in most matches, and has failed to deliver on that front).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the "selectors in the media" suffer from extreme recency bias but the actual selectors have a bit more of a process. They meet three or four times during the year and assess how players have gone in each block.
    For one of the very few times I was right re Papley. Very rare day indeed haha

Great to see Warner make it too - despite the overzealous hyperbole that seems to dominate many threads on here, it is great to see him get such recognition at this time in his career.

Mills and Heeney by far the most likely to make the final squad, but suspect none will. Mills in particular for mine should make it, I think he has been a consistent standout, but faces very stiff competition to make it.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm surprised, too, by the inclusions of Weitering (great first half of season, got injured and has been relatively mediocre since) and Josh Kelly (has the talent and maturity to drive the Giants on to being competitive in most matches, and has failed to deliver on that front).
    Just take it Liz as a sign 2022 might be an outlier year! Your vastly superior footy knowledge wins out 99.95% of the time over my random ramblings, but I can be right once in a blue moon.

Just like our Swannies average a premiership once in the proverbial blue moon. Maybe 2022 is that year!

"You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    For one of the very few times I was right re Papley. Very rare day indeed haha

Great to see Warner make it too - despite the overzealous hyperbole that seems to dominate many threads on here, it is great to see him get such recognition at this time in his career.

Mills and Heeney by far the most likely to make the final squad, but suspect none will. Mills in particular for mine should make it, I think he has been a consistent standout, but faces very stiff competition to make it.

Overzealous hyperbole , please. Havent been wrong about Chad once and i wont be . He will be a Swans legend by his mid 20s, same way Goodsey was .

Yes, they're the two that possibly surprised me the most. Well, Taylor Walker as well. And I've never really noticed Wilkie from the Saints before?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Overzealous hyperbole , please. Havent been wrong about Chad once and i wont be . He will be a Swans legend by his mid 20s, same way Goodsey was .
    Not every thread or game is solely about Chad.

The utter dismissal of efforts of almost anyone because 'CHHHHHAAAAADDDDDD' is absolutely overzealous. Seen pretty much weekly in the match related threads irrespective of performance levels and increasingly in other threads as well.

It is a team game after all. He is a great player in the making, but despite I'm sure your protestations, one player alone doesn't make a team and can't win a flag either.

Last edited by mcs; 22nd August 2022 at 07:00 PM.

Wrong , there are a lot of good players in the league . Fantastic to have 4 in the squad but Chad is the only one who should make the final team .
    Wrong. Mills should make the team.

Mills and Heeney I think will go close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Suprised by Paps - as excellent as his second half of the year has been - and a bit surprised by P Mc missing the squad (not that I expected to make the final cut, but he has a claim over Weitering for consistency of performance over the year).

Of the other three:

* Chad is unlikely. His second half to the year, particuarly over our seven game run, has been just outstanding. His first half of the year was good to very good, and he built from there. That's not to knock him. It's a huge credit to him being recognised at this phase of his career, and if the footy gods are kind to him, he'll have a few AA guerneys before he's finished.
    * Heeney plays a unique role brilliantly, and if they are honest, and don't stuff the half forward flanks with midfielders, he should be in. Bar a few games in the middle of the year, he's been consistently excellent.
    * I've loved Mills' year and he should get a slot for his two-way football, but suspect he gets squeezed due to the plethora of higher profile mids. Ironically, I reckon his best shot is if Heeney gets pushed out because of what I raised above, they slot Pertracca and Rozee onto HFF roles, and Mills ends up with a slot on the bench.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Not every thread or game is solely about Chad.

The utter dismissal of efforts of almost anyone because 'CHHHHHAAAAADDDDDD' is absolutely overzealous. Seen pretty much weekly in the match related threads irrespective of performance levels and increasingly in other threads as well.

It is a team game after all. He is a great player in the making, but despite I'm sure your protestations, one player alone doesn't make a team and can't win a flag either.

Never said he was the only one but he is the difference . Look at Dusty , Petracca these sorts , you need them to win a flag . Most teams dont have one . We do. Without him we are back on level ground with most of them . If he wasnt young and had been a bit more consistent we would be streets ahead in 1st on the ladder . What he has done for this team is remarkable and you shouldnt be so quick to undersell it just because you dont like me . Forget about me and focus on the facts , that this kid has driven us up the ladder to a top 4 spot . He has had help no doubt but hes been in the drivers seat . What other 21 yr old can claim that ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Suprised by Paps - as excellent as his second half of the year has been - and a bit surprised by P Mc missing the squad (not that I expected to make the final cut, but he has a claim over Weitering for consistency of performance over the year).

Of the other three:

* Chad is unlikely. His second half to the year, particuarly over our seven game run, has been just outstanding. His first half of the year was good to very good, and he built from there. That's not to knock him. It's a huge credit to him being recognised at this phase of his career, and if the footy gods are kind to him, he'll have a few AA guerneys before he's finished.
    * Heeney plays a unique role brilliantly, and if they are honest, and don't stuff the half forward flanks with midfielders, he should be in. Bar a few games in the middle of the year, he's been consistently excellent.
    * I've loved Mills' year and he should get a slot for his two-way football, but suspect he gets squeezed due to the plethora of higher profile mids. Ironically, I reckon his best shot is if Heeney gets pushed out because of what I raised above, they slot Pertracca and Rozee onto HFF roles, and Mills ends up with a slot on the bench.
    Next yr will be our boys turn

Never said he was the only one but he is the difference . Look at Dusty , Petracca these sorts , you need them to win a flag . Most teams dont have one . We do. Without him we are back on level ground with most of them . If he wasnt young and had been a bit more consistent we would be streets ahead in 1st on the ladder . What he has done for this team is remarkable and you shouldnt be so quick to undersell it just because you dont like me . Forget about me and focus on the facts , that this kid has driven us up the ladder to a top 4 spot . He has had help no doubt but hes been in the drivers seat . What other 21 yr old can claim that ?
    What facts would they be TB? That is all pure subjective opinion. Show me the facts then that demonstrate solely Warner has 'driven us up the ladder ' or that we'd have done no good if he wasn't there? You are welcome to your subjective opinions, but drop the bull@@@@ that there are any substantial facts out there to prove it as an objective truth.

And where have I undesold anything. I am simply asking for some recognition that there are 21 other blokes out there and they are playing a team game.

Your current obsession is increasingly as nauseating as your previous character assassination campaign.
    Last edited by mcs; 22nd August 2022 at 07:31 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, they're the two that possibly surprised me the most. Well, Taylor Walker as well. And I've never really noticed Wilkie from the Saints before?
    I'm not surprised by Walker's inclusion. I've not watched that much of the Crows this year, but every time I have seen them, he's been dominant. I reckon it was probably a toss up between he and Peter Wright for a final tall forward spot in the team. Wright has been pretty good considering most of Essendon's season.

Wilkie has been pretty consistent as that kind of anonymous "third" defender who is actually pretty good at defending (something the AA selectors often don't seen to care much about). Though describing him as a "third defender" might be unfair when he just played a reasonable game on Buddy (if we conveniently overlook the constant holding that was mostly ignored by the umpires).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast