Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz13 View Post
    Was def Ill disciplined - had just won a free kick on the wing and went after the player that gave the free kick away. Was surprised it wasn't reversed...something upset him but he has form in those brain fades.
    It’s only really a brain fade if it’s out of character for how he goes about the bulk of his play. Wicks always seems to be throwing his not so ample mass around, trying to intimidate those who aren’t really intimidated by him. He’s given away his fair share of stupid frees and had decisions reversed. He has history of this.

Buzz13, are you serious. He just got smashed in the head resulting in Ben Long getting reported. The umpire kept saying "i've reported him". When finals start it is going to be very physical. It always is. I love Wicks spirit and courage. If you watch his last 6 games with the VFL there is no ill discipline just serious and controlled intent. In the game against St Kilda Wicks came on when half the side had gone to sleep. He absolutely cracked in and created enormous pressure, tackles and turnovers. He made some mistakes as did a number of players in the side. So far none of you have watched the last half to concentrate on his contribution. When the physicality of finals come around just watch the likes of Clarke melt away. Winning finals is going to be about who wants it more. That is always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Buzz13, are you serious. He just got smashed in the head resulting in Ben Long getting reported. The umpire kept saying "i've reported him". When finals start it is going to be very physical. It always is. I love Wicks spirit and courage. If you watch his last 6 games with the VFL there is no ill discipline just serious and controlled intent. In the game against St Kilda Wicks came on when half the side had gone to sleep. He absolutely cracked in and created enormous pressure, tackles and turnovers. He made some mistakes as did a number of players in the side. So far none of you have watched the last half to concentrate on his contribution. When the physicality of finals come around just watch the likes of Clarke melt away. Winning finals is going to be about who wants it more. That is always the case.
    I’ve not rated Wicks when many here thought he was doing a job for the team with his pressure. Barra, if you think his game against the Saints was ok, your expectations of a player in a top 4 side is pretty low. I’m not saying Clarke was much better but his first 5 games coming back were. For me, neither are good enough and I would rather have Harry or Braeden in the team, with whoever misses out as sub. Maybe the MC will not want to change a winning team, but we need the best players in a final so let’s go with one of those two.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Yeah I agree he had reason to be aggro, but just saying he has a short fuse and in a low scoring finals grind a goal from a silly reversal or similar could be disaster. Apart from his shank on goal I thought he did ok as sub from 1/2 a match.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We need to be disciplined and patient in possession. They move the ball quickly but if we limit their ability to move quickly on the turnover, we can get the game on our terms.
    Agree.....like we did against Freo.

Regular in the Side
    Clarke, Wicks, Ronke & Bell have been tried as small forwards and each have strengths and weaknesses. None have really made the position their own (so far). Cunningham or Campbell may well be better footballers, but haven't played that position at AFL or VFL level recently, so how quickly would they pick it up while playing a final? So the MC may well stick with a winning team, perhaps they pick according to match-ups. My preference would be Cunningham - he is quick, disciplined, has decent disposal and heaps of experience playing a shutdown role. Whoever they pick, i hope they play a blinder.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 0918330512 View Post
    It’s only really a brain fade if it’s out of character for how he goes about the bulk of his play. Wicks always seems to be throwing his not so ample mass around, trying to intimidate those who aren’t really intimidated by him. He’s given away his fair share of stupid frees and had decisions reversed. He has history of this.
    A poor man's Zorko.....faux toughness.

Do the others teams (considering our steady improvement in the second half of H&A especially the quiet growth of the youngsters) still under-rate the Swans as an opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Clarke, Wicks, Ronke & Bell have been tried as small forwards and each have strengths and weaknesses. None have really made the position their own (so far). Cunningham or Campbell may well be better footballers, but haven't played that position at AFL or VFL level recently, so how quickly would they pick it up while playing a final? So the MC may well stick with a winning team, perhaps they pick according to match-ups. My preference would be Cunningham - he is quick, disciplined, has decent disposal and heaps of experience playing a shutdown role. Whoever they pick, i hope they play a blinder.
    Cunningham has played small forward for us in the AFL before being switched to defender. Campbell played as a forward for the Allies and perhaps for the academy too.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Do the others teams (considering our steady improvement in the second half of H&A especially the quiet growth of the youngsters) still under-rate the Swans as an opponent?
    I can't understand why they would? We finished 3rd by a whisker just under the reigning premiers, we've beaten all the best teams this year and have star players across the park. What makes you think they under-rate us?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    No.

They rate us very highly , why do you think they always bring their best against us . Most play like they have nothing to lose against us !

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I can't understand why they would? We finished 3rd by a whisker just under the reigning premiers, we've beaten all the best teams this year and have star players across the park. What makes you think they under-rate us?
    Oh , just that the downside often sticks more than the upside: like that’s the mob that dysfunctional Essendon beat .

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast