Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    FWIW, Mills finished top 10 in the coaches association award, which I personally rate as the premium award. What a sensational result.

(And for those who speculated in the absence of public results, yes, Rowie polled big votes in the last two rounds.)
    Isnt it Chad Heeney Mills and Papleys night !

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    (And for those who speculated in the absence of public results, yes, Rowie polled big votes in the last two rounds.)
    R22 Votes:
    Sydney v Collingwood

9 Callum Mills (SYD)
    8 James Rowbottom (SYD)
    5 Josh Daicos (COLL)
    5 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    2 Luke Parker (SYD)
    1 Lance Franklin (SYD)

R23 Votes:

St Kilda v Sydney

10 Ben Long (STK)
    8 Max King (STK)
    5 James Rowbottom (SYD)
    3 Will Hayward (SYD)
    3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    1 Jack Sinclair (STK)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    He is a favourite of Longmires and for good reason . He is a star and will be AA by the end of the night .
    Maybe next year. Make that likely.

Speaking of Chad: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...e-sydney-swans

Corey Warner will be getting plenty of good advice for his journey ahead from Chad then.

My thoughts are that only Logan McDonald and Sam Wicks are in any danger of being omitted for the final. I could see them both playing VFL this weekend and fighting for their places, whereas I don't think most of the seniors will be playing in the ressies.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My thoughts are that only Logan McDonald and Sam Wicks are in any danger of being omitted for the final. I could see them both playing VFL this weekend and fighting for their places, whereas I don't think most of the seniors will be playing in the ressies.
    I really hope Logan retains his spot. He is selfless and all about improving the team performance. His work rate and his footy smarts are his best attributes at this stage, I think he adds a lot to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Looking forward to a cracking game knowing that a loss won’t be the end of the world.
    It depends how you lose. I would think that Brisbane have scars after their last two encounters with the Dees.

I want us to have a big game, whether we win or lose. But I am definitely nervous.

It is looking like it will be a big crowd, and I imagine it will be a large Melbourne cohort, particularly as they missed out on watching them play in the GF last year. We need to silence their input as early as possible. I really don’t want a close finish with their fans surging them on.

The Dees players and their fans might have the feeling that they are performing for each other this September. I just hope that creates undue pressure from the expectation rather than a confidence that it is their destiny.

We are up against it, but we are also capable of an upset if we don’t wilt to the occasion.

Don’t we want to win at all costs to avoid the Cats / Tigers / Lions (Feline) side of the draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Don’t we want to win at all costs to avoid the Cats / Tigers / Lions (Feline) side of the draw?
    Max Gawn was a big factor when we last played. And so was Mays absence. Their forward line looks different with Melksham in there. It will be frenetic at the start. If we are close at nearly halftime we would be close to winning.
    Can we avoid their defenders and can we move the ball under defensive pressure without bombing ? If we can, we will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It’s likely we would have to play one of them to win the flag anyway (although there are also scenarios where we just play those on our side of the draw too - e.g. we could play Melbourne, then Bulldogs and then Melbourne again). Qué será, será.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't see any risk in Logan losing his spot. Since coming last three games he's played well, averaging 10 disposals, 1.25 goals, over 5 score involvements. He's also gotten up the ground nicely. I think his output is clearly superior to his competitors for that position.

On the other hand, Wicks was sub by virtue of it being his turn on the rotation (with Campbell and Ronke). Papley will come back in and Campbell will be sub.

Senior Player
    Betting agencies have Melbourne as a heavy favourite, around $1.45 or so.

Melbourne have a very potent midfield that can get the ball into their forward 50 quickly. Then they have the tall marking of Ben Brown, and Gawn/Jackson (whoever is not rucking), and some very accurate chaos ball and on the run goal kickers in Pickett and Fritsch (and they are good set shots too, better than our Sam Reid). They have much more height in the forward line than we have in the McCartins, Rampe and Fox.

Then May (All Australian FB) and Lever with their intercept marking (and Buddy is not a strong pack or overhead mark, and the umpires don't call a lot of the interference on him either).

However, we beat them last time, their form has been inconsistent recently whilst we are in great form, so I am slightly more confident than nervous!

I don't know how the rest of you are going, but eight days is so far away!

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast