Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Is dud that bad ? I was called worse and have heard coaches call players a lot worse . Does it not just mean a player is no good , and how is saying they are no good any different from saying they should be delisted , or dropped , or traded ? Im not calling them names or picking on them , its just about the footy . Someone just yesterday commented that Matty roberts is bad and no one said a word ! Bad ! A 19 year old !

But i apologise to anyone i offended , i didnt mean any thing bad by it, that is just what i have been saying for years, I am trying
    I agree that "dud" is relatively tame on the scale of insults. The poster you mentioned said Matty Roberts played bad (in that specific game) which is different to labelling someone a dud which infers there is no hope for them. I'm pretty sure the poster was trying to get a rise out of you and it worked.

There is a clear difference between comments that reflect views about performance of an individual in any given game(s), and broader generalisations that often come with (even if unintended) perceived quite negative connotations about an individual and/or their character.

Using an example of the former to try and justify what some clearly see as the latter doesn't really stack up.

And that is before the juxtaposition of an objection to comments about one young player alongside a demonstrated willingness to rip into other young players time and time again (one in particular), with many comments made having zero to do with performance. Can't really have it both ways.

I don't think it is too hard to show a reasonable level of respect, even if a player isn't ultimately good enough in terms of their performance on the park. And that is all that is really being asked for.
    Last edited by mcs; 29th August 2022 at 02:58 AM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There is a clear difference between comments that reflect views about performance of an individual in any given game(s), and broader generalisations that often come with (even if unintended) perceived quite negative connotations about an individual and/or their character.

Using an example of the former to try and justify what some clearly see as the latter doesn't really stack up.

And that is before the juxtaposition of an objection to comments about one young player alongside a demonstrated willingness to rip into other young players time and time again (one in particular), with many comments made having zero to do with performance. Can't really have it both ways.

I don't think it is too hard to show a reasonable level of respect, even if a player isn't ultimately good enough in terms of their performance on the park. And that is all that is really being asked for.
    Totally agree mcs. I’m sure TB doesn’t mean to be insulting to any player as he explained, but a certain level of respect should be shown to all players who pull on a Swan jumper. We have a few players regularly mentioned here who, in our opinion, have limited ability yet are capable of doing a specific job and hence get selected from time to time. All players have a bad game now and then and that is the proper criticism we can justly level at them and not resort to “labels” which can be derogatory and hurtful.

Suspended by the MRP
    That dill Barett and his thug mate Matthew Lloyd said Chad will be the one to watch in this game . Said Blakey and Papley were guns . Does Errol exist to these blokes !

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    That dill Barett and his thug mate Matthew Lloyd said Chad will be the one to watch in this game . Said Blakey and Papley were guns . Does Errol exist to these blokes !
    Maybe not, but I'm sure he does to Goodwin.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I've got no problems with Gus having a run of games in reserves until now.

One: it's hard to change a team that's gone seven on the trot. Clarke's position is the one most likely up for grabs, but he'd done the role very well until the Saints game.

Two: if he does come in, you want him truly match hardened and fit. We saw last year when we brought Chad in after a long and extended break for the final, he wasn't quite there. That's not to knock him, it's just a fact of being a young footballer. They need to build their resilience, and Gus missed a good chunk of footy this year.

Three: now that's he's had an extended run in reserves, he's more likely going to be cherry ripe if he does get picked. I reckon he's a great candidate for the sub role. And whether he's first 22 or sub, I've got no doubt he'll succeed. He's going to be a total beauty of a footballer.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

And what about Mills and Heeney? Why can't the AFL allocate more time to discuss Sydney so the commentators can name every player on the Swans team?

And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? Especially Barrett, who has been having a love affair with The Chad. (Is a triangle emerging)? I thought those adjectives were reserved for Gill McLachlan and Toby Greene.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And what about Mills and Heeney? Why can't the AFL allocate more time to discuss Sydney so the commentators can name every player on the Swans team?

And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? Especially Barrett, who has been having a love affair with The Chad. (Is a triangle emerging)? I thought those adjectives were reserved for Gill McLachlan and Toby Greene.
    Yep. I don't understand why it's so fashionable on here to slag pretty much all of the Melbourne media.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Yep. I don't understand why it's so fashionable on here to slag pretty much all of the Melbourne media.
    I think it's because relatively speaking there is no Sydney media, they are all we've got.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    No Sydney Media and no NSW umpires. Notice in the VFL the free kick count was 13 to 2 in Melbourne's favor at one stage. I can almost guarantee it will be the similar ratio in Friday's night game when the Victorian umpires have their say.! Gil M at work again.

Suspended by the MRP
    I cant win then

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ... And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? ...
    Do we really have to use the term journalist to describe Matthew Lloyd?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast