Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    You guys love your whipping boys. Wicks played about 40 minutes after not playing seniors for ages. He had 8, yes 8 contested possessions (equal with Mills) and 4 tackles. He was a bit rusty and made some errors but the silly stuff is long gone.

He was tough and courageous and landed some crunching tackles. Clarke on the other hand just trotted around getting a bath from Sinclair. In the end they had the same numbers. (except in contested ball)

Before you start arguing watch the second half again and concentrate on wicks.

Baa Baa to you all
    I have been a supporter of Wicks but his ill discipline this year (not yesterday) and his ordinary form yesterday mean he doesn't get my vote (FWIW!) for a spot in the team. I think we have better options

Suspended by the MRP
    What was Clarke doing yesterday !

You guys love your whipping boys. Wicks played about 40 minutes after not playing seniors for ages. He had 8, yes 8 contested possessions (equal with Mills) and 4 tackles. He was a bit rusty and made some errors but the silly stuff is long gone.

He was tough and courageous and landed some crunching tackles. Clarke on the other hand just trotted around getting a bath from Sinclair. In the end they had the same numbers. (except in contested ball)

Before you start arguing watch the second half again and concentrate on wicks.

Baa Baa to you all
    My worry with Wicks is this year he hasn't done much in front of goals, and his kicking for goal from set shots in particular hasn't been good enough.

I wouldn't have him in the 22, but if he is there it won't be lack of effort if he doesn't have a positive influence.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure McInerney ran with Ed Langdon last time. Given Juzzy’s form, a clear defensive role might be good.

Clarke stays in for me and goes to Salem. We are still undefeated this year with him in the team. We don’t need more offence.
    Gee looking at the way the Demons destroyed Lions we will need all the offence we can get. They are very fast and move the ball quickly.

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell/Cunningham and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Gee looking at the way the Demons destroyed Lions we will need all the offence we can get. They are very fast and move the ball quickly.

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.
    We need to be disciplined and patient in possession. They move the ball quickly but if we limit their ability to move quickly on the turnover, we can get the game on our terms.

It will need great pressure up forward and good ball use (ie don't kick long to Gawn every 5 seconds). Collectively as a team we have the tools to do it. Can we execute it in a final - we will just have to find out.

"You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    My worry with Wicks is this year he hasn't done much in front of goals, and his kicking for goal from set shots in particular hasn't been good enough.

I wouldn't have him in the 22, but if he is there it won't be lack of effort if he doesn't have a positive influence.

Agreed. He has 4.4 in 10 games, which is a substandard return for a small forward His pressure is excellent, but doesn't add enough in attack.

He's down on last year. Fewer possessions (down from 11 to 9), goals (down from 0.8 to 0.4) and tackles (down from 4 to 2.5) per game. His discipline has worsened (down from -0.3 frees per game to -1.3 frees per game).

Clarke's stats this year are pretty much identical to Wicks's. Clarke brings the shut-down role and Wicks brings that general pressure. Both are flawed options, as are Ronke and Bell. We've tried them all this year and understandably the selection committee hasn't really been convinced by any.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell/Cunningham and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.
    You only really have Clarke going out as Wicks was Sub .
    Can only see Ladhams replacing a tall and he certainly won’t play as Sub .

Can definitely see Cunningham coming in to play on Kozi , that would mean Florent might push up to a wing to play on Langdon and Mills back in the middle .
    Clarke might have to make way for that change .

Clarke /Campbell/ Wicks/Ronke as sub .

Can’t see a spot for Ladhams as it might make us to top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Agreed. He has 4.4 in 10 games, which is a substandard return for a small forward His pressure is excellent, but doesn't add enough in attack.

He's down on last year. Fewer possessions (down from 11 to 9), goals (down from 0.8 to 0.4) and tackles (down from 4 to 2.5) per game. His discipline has worsened (down from -0.3 frees per game to -1.3 frees per game).

Clarke's stats this year are pretty much identical to Wicks's. Clarke brings the shut-down role and Wicks brings that general pressure. Both are flawed options, as are Ronke and Bell. We've tried them all this year and understandably the selection committee hasn't really been convinced by any.
    I thought Ronke played okay but wasn't given a lot of an opportunity when he did play. But there are challenges for all.

Whoever we pick, we need them to fulfill their role and do their bit on the big stage. Their role is every bit as important as the superstars at the other end of our 22.

Ronke can go out of games and not contribute much if he's not kicking goals. He's had some big possession games for a small forward in the VFL. On the plus side, he does have an uncanny knack for finding goals. I don't think Ronke hurts our side when he's in the seniors. He also allows Heeney and Papley more time up the ground as Ben is serious goal kicking threat.

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    You only really have Clarke going out as Wicks was Sub .
    Can only see Ladhams replacing a tall and he certainly won’t play as Sub .

Can definitely see Cunningham coming in to play on Kozi , that would mean Florent might push up to a wing to play on Langdon and Mills back in the middle .
    Clarke might have to make way for that change .

Clarke /Campbell/ Wicks/Ronke as sub .

Can’t see a spot for Ladhams as it might make us to top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good post.

I agree with MattW too. I did not like Wicks' game against the Saints. Was ill disciplined and too gung ho with his pressure. Conversely was not composed with the ball in hand and butchered a straightforward shot at goal. I'd prefer Bell or Ronke - but none of them are ideal. Which is why I see merit in gloveski's suggestion of bringing Cunningham back and pushing Florent up to the wing. The issue with that is that we want to maintain and build the chemistry with the defensive set-up and I'm not sure if now is the time to be messing with it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Good post.

I agree with MattW too. I did not like Wicks' game against the Saints. Was ill disciplined and too gung ho with his pressure. Conversely was not composed with the ball in hand and butchered a straightforward shot at goal. I'd prefer Bell or Ronke - but none of them are ideal. Which is why I see merit in gloveski's suggestion of bringing Cunningham back and pushing Florent up to the wing. The issue with that is that we want to maintain and build the chemistry with the defensive set-up and I'm not sure if now is the time to be messing with it.
    Seriously, ill disciplined and gung ho! Please provide specifics or you have just proved my point.

Pushing for Selection
    Seriously, ill disciplined and gung ho! Please provide specifics or you have just proved my point.
    Was def Ill disciplined - had just won a free kick on the wing and went after the player that gave the free kick away. Was surprised it wasn't reversed...something upset him but he has form in those brain fades.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast