Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Senior Player

Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Can't wait for the game!

We finished poorly vs St Kilda, but would have had plenty of time to regroup.

We have won seven? on the trot and it is hard to change a winning team but...

McInerney like Samson has lost all his power since his locks were shaven, and maybe he should go back into the 2s until he regrows his hair?

Wicks was awful as the sub. Clarke was not that effective against Sinclair tonight after a fumbly performance last week as well.

Hickey had a poorer game too, whilst Ladhams had 28 possessions in the VFL.

I think everyone else played well enough in patches (or throughout the match, e.g. Rowbottom, Hayward and Stephens) to keep their spot.

We are expecting Papley to be back to full fitness by Friday week.

So I would be ok with Cunningham coming in for McInerney, as he has the quickness to play on Pickett, and Campbell being the sub. If JMac stays, then Cunningham as sub. As for Clarke, I am not sure there is an obvious opponent for him given how tall the Melbourne defence is, nor am I sure of who would replace him, given Wicks was poor, and Bell has not been able to put in a convincing game as a forward. How was Ronke in the 2s this week?

If Clarke stays (which I suspect he does considering our winning ways) I reckon he should play on Brayshaw who has been pretty damaging as a half back this year.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    If Clarke stays (which I suspect he does considering our winning ways) I reckon he should play on Brayshaw who has been pretty damaging as a half back this year.

They’ve moved Brayshaw on ball since he signed the new contract (I think the two are related)

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post

The outside player that needs tagging is Ed Langdon, who usually plays through the midfield. I'm not sure if Clarke is that good a matchup on him. Langdon is very quick.

I doubt that we will drop Clarke. He could play on Hunt or Salem, who is likely to return for the finals.

One option is to replace Clarke with Cunningham, who would play on Pickett. Robbie Fox can play on the wing and tag Langdon. I doubt if this will happen, but they seem better matchups to me.

Harmes has been an effective tagger and is a good chance to take on Chad this time. If this happens, we could try swapping roles of Chad and Heeney to break the tag.

It's going to be a tough game. Pressure, high energy and taking the game on is our only way to break them. Our skills will have to be sharp.

I did not feel Wicks had a good game and I’d swap him with Campbell as Med-sub as my only change

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Can't wait for the game!

We finished poorly vs St Kilda, but would have had plenty of time to regroup.

We have won seven? on the trot and it is hard to change a winning team but...

McInerney like Samson has lost all his power since his locks were shaven, and maybe he should go back into the 2s until he regrows his hair?

Wicks was awful as the sub. Clarke was not that effective against Sinclair tonight after a fumbly performance last week as well.

Hickey had a poorer game too, whilst Ladhams had 28 possessions in the VFL.

I think everyone else played well enough in patches (or throughout the match, e.g. Rowbottom, Hayward and Stephens) to keep their spot.

We are expecting Papley to be back to full fitness by Friday week.

So I would be ok with Cunningham coming in for McInerney, as he has the quickness to play on Pickett, and Campbell being the sub. If JMac stays, then Cunningham as sub. As for Clarke, I am not sure there is an obvious opponent for him given how tall the Melbourne defence is, nor am I sure of who would replace him, given Wicks was poor, and Bell has not been able to put in a convincing game as a forward. How was Ronke in the 2s this week?
    I suspect Papley will not be available due 12 day break compulsory after concussion.
    Game needs to be played after midnight on that Friday.
    Hope I'm wrong with this.
    Have now checked the AFL concussion rule.
    He can resume on the 12th day after the cocussion, which is the Friday.
    Yea!!Under the Guidelines, the earliest that an AFL or AFLW player can return to play after a concussion is on the 12th day after the day on which the concussion was suffered (noting that in some instances a longer period of recovery and rehabilitation will be needed).
    Last edited by royboy42; 22nd August 2022 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Update

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I'm expecting a big game out of Parker, he rarely has two quiet(ish) games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They’ve moved Brayshaw on ball since he signed the new contract (I think the two are related)
    Wasn't he tagging Lachie Neal on Friday night? Clarke to tag the tagger?

I wouldn't mind Harry coming in for Clarke but is that too big a step up, in pace and intensity, from VFL to AFL finals?

Will Salem be back for the finals? That would be the obvious match-up for Clarke, wouldn't it?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Suspended by the MRP
    Some duds in yesterdays team we cant take into a final or we will get blown away by 10 goals . Top of the list Wicks !

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    I did not feel Wicks had a good game and I’d swap him with Campbell as Med-sub as my only change
    Wicks will definitely be on his bike back to the 2's

I don't think a Clarke tagging role will work against Melbourne. They don't depend on a rebounding defender to generate offense. They are very even on the outside. Trying to stop one player won't do much, perhaps with the exception of Ed Langdon, who has been in excellent form this year.

Melbourne are very dangerous with the ball at ground level in their forward line. They have so many players who can bob up and kick a goal, much like us. We need to focus on some of those matchups, like Fritsch and Pickett.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Wicks will definitely be on his bike back to the 2's
    You guys love your whipping boys. Wicks played about 40 minutes after not playing seniors for ages. He had 8, yes 8 contested possessions (equal with Mills) and 4 tackles. He was a bit rusty and made some errors but the silly stuff is long gone.

He was tough and courageous and landed some crunching tackles. Clarke on the other hand just trotted around getting a bath from Sinclair. In the end they had the same numbers. (except in contested ball)

Before you start arguing watch the second half again and concentrate on wicks.

Baa Baa to you all

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure McInerney ran with Ed Langdon last time. Given Juzzy’s form, a clear defensive role might be good.

Clarke stays in for me and goes to Salem. We are still undefeated this year with him in the team. We don’t need more offence.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast