Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL (non-Swans) off-season moves - 2022 edition

Currently, we're the only team with 2 first-round draft picks. We have Melbourne's first round pick which came via the Dawson trade. If they go out in straight sets, it will be pick 14. Given how many teams would love that pick or our own first round pick (hopefully 18!!) it puts us in a great position. We could get something fantastic in return for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Bloody Geelong and Richmond seem to be involved in everything. Very suss.
    I recently posted this on the Trade thread but it seems more relevant here:

"I wish we had a salary cap like Richmond who can have players like Lynch and Dusty on mega deals and then can apparently still afford to bring in GWS stars, Taranto and Hopper, on big contracts. Call me a cynic but I'm pretty confident they have found a way to circumvent the Cap - probably through sponsor- connected payments in kind."

To put a couple of cents in here…Taranto is crap. I have never seen him dominate a game. Ever. I can’t even recall him doing any “wow” moments like Chad or Blakey or Serong or at 20 young midfielders I could reel off the top of my head. 7 years at $700G apparently. Absolute madness

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    To put a couple of cents in here…Taranto is crap. I have never seen him dominate a game. Ever. I can’t even recall him doing any “wow” moments like Chad or Blakey or Serong or at 20 young midfielders I could reel off the top of my head. 7 years at $700G apparently. Absolute madness
    It is. Let them do deals like this so it takes hold of their salary cap and they're forced to dump good players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Dusty’s just confirmed he’ll be at the Tigers next year!
    Was always just a click bait story that gave the media something to talk about for four months. Buddy's contract negotiation was a fizzer for the media compared to the Dusty non story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I recently posted this on the Trade thread but it seems more relevant here:

"I wish we had a salary cap like Richmond who can have players like Lynch and Dusty on mega deals and then can apparently still afford to bring in GWS stars, Taranto and Hopper, on big contracts. Call me a cynic but I'm pretty confident they have found a way to circumvent the Cap - probably through sponsor- connected payments in kind."
    The same applies to Geelong, players sign on for unders but apparently get into lucrative can't fail property deals in the Geelong area. Pies have dodgy media deals via Maguire.

Richmond have had a few retirements and Cotchin and Jack have taken big pay cuts in their new one year deals. More interest is how they get Taranto and a contracted Hopper trades done. It will give GWS a powerful draft hand, pity they have to draft Vic kids!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Was always just a click bait story that gave the media something to talk about for four months. Buddy's contract negotiation was a fizzer for the media compared to the Dusty non story.

- - - Updated - - -

The same applies to Geelong, players sign on for unders but apparently get into lucrative can't fail property deals in the Geelong area. Pies have dodgy media deals via Maguire.

Richmond have had a few retirements and Cotchin and Jack have taken big pay cuts in their new one year deals. More interest is how they get Taranto and a contracted Hopper trades done. It will give GWS a powerful draft hand, pity they have to draft Vic kids!
    GWS are caught in this sick cycle each year. They draft impressive talent and develop them only to inevitably lose them. They are essentially a feeder club for the Vic establishment. It must be dispiriting. I think it's like losing Dawson every year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    GWS are caught in this sick cycle each year. They draft impressive talent and develop them only to inevitably lose them. They are essentially a feeder club for the Vic establishment. It must be dispiriting. I think it's like losing Dawson every year.
    I think it's really hard for them to create a footy environment out there, the type of environment that up-and-coming players think they'll
    end up in as they come through the ranks. They live in a city that doesn't live and breathe Australian Rules. They grow up dreaming of
    running out on the MCG in front of 50,000 baying fans not 7,000 fairly quiet fans, a lot of who are pretty new to footy.
    Leon Cameron talked about how frustrating it was to see this exodus of three or four AFL level players every year. We of course weren't in
    any better shape in our eleventh season. Their situation is a really hard one to fix. You need a buy-in from the players that is not money
    driven, and you need a buy-in from the fans too.
    A lot of footy fans, or should I say attenders, are very fickle. We saw that this year at the SCG. 44,000 for the Collingwood game when
    we were travelling well, and 22,000 for the Bulldogs game when we weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Hopper is a NSW boy from Leeton and he still wants to go to a Melbourne club.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    [/B]

Hopper is a NSW boy from Leeton and he still wants to go to a Melbourne club.
    Yep. I posted about him the other day. We have benefitted a bit over the years from footballers wanting to
    get out of the "Vic footy bubble". But for every player wanting to leave the bubble, there are probably ten players
    wanting to get into it. Hopper is clearly one. He said as much yesterday. A lot of the GWS exodus are players
    like him. They can't wait to be living footy 24/7 and then some. It's exactly the same for 20-somethings in
    the music industry and film industry. They like "the life".
    Last edited by KTigers; 9th September 2022 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Having created these 2 expansion teams, the AFL have a responsibility to stop this relentless bleeding of talent from GWS and GC. They are killing their own children through neglect.

The AFLPA won't like it, but some additional costs have to be imposed on the acquiring clubs. Or some additional incentives should be given to GWS and GC which would enable them to retain players. Surely there are experts in this field who can come up with something. It's more than 10 years now and these problems persist.

Why are they on the brink of adding another expansion club when they still haven't worked out the problems with the last 2?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ... Or some additional incentives should be given to GWS and GC which would enable them to retain players. Surely there are experts in this field who can come up with something...
    Giants coterie group? Maybe one that has interests in property?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Having created these 2 expansion teams, the AFL have a responsibility to stop this relentless bleeding of talent from GWS and GC. They are killing their own children through neglect.
    Giants managed to eek out a fairly successful 2016-2019 period, but it cant be sustained, and the poaching eventually caught up with them.
    Richmond have ripped the heart out of Gold Coast, and now taking aim at GWS. They must really hate expansion.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast