Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL (non-Swans) off-season moves - 2022 edition

Senior Player

AFL (non-Swans) off-season moves - 2022 edition

In response to KTigers, apparently if you're a Victorian team you can have everything

Melbourne are looking at adding Brodie Grundy, without losing anyone, while Richmond think they can get Taranto and Hopper this off season, the Cats want Grundy and Hopper

FWIW it seems we had the cap space to keep Jordan, he just preferred to live in Adelaide

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    In response to KTigers, apparently if you're a Victorian team you can have everything

Melbourne are looking at adding Brodie Grundy, without losing anyone, ...
    I'm pretty sure they are planning on bringing him in because Jackson wants to go to Freo
    ...while Richmond think they can get Taranto and Hopper this off season...
    Is that if that get Dusty's millions off their books?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

... while Richmond think they can get Taranto and Hopper this off season, the Cats want Grundy and Hopper
    Richmond are funny. They have been shopping Dusty around simply because he's going to take $1.3m per year of cap space for the next two years because of a back ended contract.
    Surely they werent expecting anyone to take him for that. He's now a $600k player at best due to his injury issues and age. If anyone took him, Tiges would be paying almost half you'd think... and thats a good deal for them.

They may get Taranto and Hopper, but they'd need to offload dusty, and probably delist one of Cotchin or Reiwoldt. I can see why Richmond are into them, their old midfield of Cotchin and Martin are stuffed as seen in the EF.
    But I'm not sure the answer is to replace them with a midfield made up of the B list midfield of a team that finished 15th. (Assuming they are behind Kelly, Tom Green, and Ward, Coniglio which could be debatable)

Suffice to say, if Dusty stays at the tiges, then they may attract one half decent player, but they wont be a contender for a while.

Melbourne are looking at adding Brodie Grundy
    Thats a real mismatch of team for player. They would be far better going after an Amartey or similar fringe ruckman/forward.

Senior Player

Melbourne are looking at adding Brodie Grundy, without losing anyone, while Richmond think they can get Taranto and Hopper this off season, the Cats want Grundy and Hopper

FWIW it seems we had the cap space to keep Jordan, he just preferred to live in Adelaide
    The interesting thing I've noticed is all this talk of Hopper "going home". Well, Hopper is from Leeton. I've been there (it's a nice
    town actually) a couple times and one thing I did notice about it is that it's in NSW. It's not actually a suburb of Melbourne or a
    town next to Geelong. This Vic centric-ness thing is really getting ridiculous. Now they (or at least their media) are claiming
    towns that aren't even in Victoria.

Senior Player
    So according to reports, Richmond think they can keep Dusty and recruit Tarranto and Hopper.

If they can manage that (as well as Lynch on big $'s) the "you have to lose players every year" brigade might have to change their tune

So according to reports, Richmond think they can keep Dusty and recruit Tarranto and Hopper.

If they can manage that (as well as Lynch on big $'s) the "you have to lose players every year" brigade might have to change their tune
    Surely Shai Bolton must have signed for big money. And they still have Dion Prestia, who I think is on around 800k, for another 2 years.

Why do some clubs seem to have a bottomless pit, filled of cash?

Bloody Geelong and Richmond seem to be involved in everything. Very suss.

Veteran Site Admin
    Salary cap aside, I reckon Richmond would struggle to get just one of Hopper and Taranto in trade-wise, let alone both. GWS are supposedly asking for two first round picks for the out of contract Taranto. Hopper's trade value probably isn't that far off Taranto's, particularly since he is still in contract. Two first round picks is a bit vague since there's a wide difference in value between pick 1 and pick 18. But Cerra went for pick 5 (6?) last year, which sets a reasonable standard for the kind of value of a decent but not top tier midfielder. Richmond doesn't have the threat of using the PSD to drive down trade value in the way the Crows have done in recent years.

As things stand, Richmond have picks 12, 19, 30 and some very late ones. By re-signing Cotchin and Riewoldt for next season they are signalling that they aren't planning on (expecting) their first round pick next year to be in the first handful.

So who are they willing to trade out this off-season to give them the trade capital to acquire both Taranto and Hopper? My guess is they'll only be able to get one of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Salary cap aside, I reckon Richmond would struggle to get just one of Hopper and Taranto in trade-wise, let alone both. GWS are supposedly asking for two first round picks for the out of contract Taranto. Hopper's trade value probably isn't that far off Taranto's, particularly since he is still in contract. Two first round picks is a bit vague since there's a wide difference in value between pick 1 and pick 18. But Cerra went for pick 5 (6?) last year, which sets a reasonable standard for the kind of value of a decent but not top tier midfielder. Richmond doesn't have the threat of using the PSD to drive down trade value in the way the Crows have done in recent years.

As things stand, Richmond have picks 12, 19, 30 and some very late ones. By re-signing Cotchin and Riewoldt for next season they are signalling that they aren't planning on (expecting) their first round pick next year to be in the first handful.

So who are they willing to trade out this off-season to give them the trade capital to acquire both Taranto and Hopper? My guess is they'll only be able to get one of the two.
    I have heard Ivan Solo mentioned.

Veteran Site Admin
    I heard his name too, but he's hardly blue-chip trade currency. GWS want another ruckman so they may accept him as partial payment for one of Hopper or Taranto but he's not going to be a straight swap for either.

Solo + Pick 12 for one of them
    Pick 19 + future first for the other?

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast