Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL (non-Swans) off-season moves - 2022 edition

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Geelong probably want it for Jhye Clark, a Geelong Falcon touted around that mark.
    They also seem committed to bringing Oliver Henry and Tanner Bruhn to their club. They need draft pick capital to do that.

They don't actually need to draft Clark now. They can let another club draft him, invest two years into his development, and then lure him "home" in two years with a late first round pick and the promise of free coffee for life and a property portfolio.

I wonder what the open market price would be for Pick 7. Why couldn't GC auction off the pick? Then they could use that to pay off Bowes' salary, in part. I don't see why GC have to lose both Bowes and Pick 7.

Agree with Liz that no one is minding the shop at AFL House.

The AFL should force North to move to Tasmania. There are too many clubs in Melbourne. Why create another club that needs AFL financial support? 19 clubs is a crazy number.

Senior Player
    It's not just the high salaries that GCS and GWS have pay to pay, but also the length of the deals. People go on about Buddy
    and the 9 year deal, but Josh Kelly with 8 years and Coniglio with 7 years. Then there was Haynes' long deal, and Whitfield's
    and even Toby got extended. They are all good players obviously, but are they great players? Not really. Have any of them
    ever had a Top 3 Brownlow finish? I might be wrong, but I don't think so. I just think a level of comfort can set in when some
    players are on big salaries and on really long contracts. Some of them are just not as hungry anymore. And it can be reflected
    in their on-field performance. But I do understand why GWS felt they had to do it. And now there are casualties. There were
    casualties at the Swans when Buddy and Tippo came in. Just not as many as at GWS. The really worrying thing for the Giants
    if you ask me are their crowd numbers out at Homebush. This year they were terrible. It's bewildering that a city of 5.5M people
    can't really support two teams properly but Sydney doesn't seem to be able to at the moment.

The Bowes deal only makes sense if Bowes is basically useless.
    Even though he was a top 10 pick, even Geelong dont think he's worth the $700k / p.a. for two years, or $500 p.a. over 4 years, so GC have to throw in a pick 7 for them to take him.
    So he must be almost borderline delist material. Geelong are basically buying pick 7 for $1.4m, and Bowes is the steak-knives.

But it is crooked that they get to restructure his deal. If you take the extreme, why dont they restructure it for $100k for 14 years: almost nothing as far as cap pressure... Just to get pick 7
    Last edited by barry; 6th October 2022 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Basket case on a par with North. Millions wasted by AFL.
    Only difference is there is zero upside to North. They arent going to grow market share in Melbourne. They couldnt during the Carey years when they won flags.
    If GWS get a couple of flags, at least they are a chance of growing market share.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Bowes deal only makes sense if Bowes is basically useless.
    Even though he was a top 10 pick, even Geelong dont think he's worth the $700k / p.a. for two years, or $500 p.a. over 4 years, so GC have to throw in a pick 7 for them to take him.
    So he must be almost borderline delist material. Geelong are basically buying pick 7 for $1.4m, and Bowes is the steak-knives.

But it is crooked that they get to restructure his deal. If you take the extreme, why dont they restructure it for $100k for 14 years: almost nothing as far as cap pressure... Just to get pick 7
    Wow, an extremely interesting perspective Barry. You definitely had your thinking cap on today.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Only difference is there is zero upside to North. They arent going to grow market share in Melbourne. They couldnt during the Carey years when they won flags.
    If GWS get a couple of flags, at least they are a chance of growing market share.
    Fair call re North but not sure a flag would cement Giants support. Going to be a continual struggle.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    North Melbourne has always struggled for market share. Even in the 1890s it struggled because it competed with Essendon and Footscray for territory. The club would do better if it relocated, perhaps to Bendigo where it could compete as the North Victoria Kangaroos.

Relocating the Kangaroos to Tasmania would be a non-starter. Tasmania wants its own club, not a transplanted one.

As for Gold Coast, that city is a graveyard for sports teams. If the Gold Coast Suns don't work out, they could be relocated to the Northern Territory or north Queensland. Playing a couple of games a year in Cairns or Alice Springs will help them grow those markets.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    “A few clubs” left disgruntled over Cats' lowball offers for trade targets

Obviously can't vouch for how accurate Matt Rendall is, but he's suggesting that Geelong are unwilling to part with their own first round picks for either this year or next in their attempts to get Henry and Bruhn to the club, but are asking for a first round pick for Ratugolea to move to Port. Ratugolea is contracted but not getting a game at the Cats.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Obviously can't vouch for how accurate Matt Rendall is, but he's suggesting that Geelong are unwilling to part with their own first round picks for either this year or next in their attempts to get Henry and Bruhn to the club, but are asking for a first round pick for Ratugolea to move to Port. Ratugolea is contracted but not getting a game at the Cats.
    The new Dodoro, if it’s true he wants more for Esava than he’s willing to pay for Bruhn or Henry
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I don’t understand why GCS needed to throw in pick 7 with Bowes? Their next pick is 25 why not offer that? Or do a deal with another club (we’d have done it I’m sure) to swap 7 for a lower first this year and something next.

Is Bowes really that bad? Or just being stupidly overpaid.

I agree with whoever said for salary dumps the receiving club should not be allowed to restructure the deal … although I presume Bowes has chosen the club that’s offers him the best future.

Surely the AFL will close this loophole after this?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I always thought Geelong were quick and fair traders but I see they have a new list manager. Henry and Bruhn are absolutely worth pick 18/19's. Geelong has no PSD threat either, both would end up at Norf and Essendon

All this from the Cats and Freo and Brisbane pulling the low ball trade offers as well.