Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL (non-Swans) off-season moves - 2022 edition

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    You're 100% certain? Must be an oracle.
    So you actually give credence to Carey's 'crushed Paracetamol' deflection?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I would add that the media barely seem to question the claims of spare salary cap space at teams like Geelong. Of course those Cats' players are all happily earning hundreds of thousands less than they're true value in a professional sport. No question. The media also believe in the tooth fairy.
    No, they actually write articles praising the Cats for their 'creative' salary cap management. I heard one of the noobs on the show that follows Friday Night footy calling it 'salary cap massaging' and saying they were the best at it and yes, praising them for it.

It's seems like it's Victoria's dirty little 'open' secret and that they're actually quite proud of it.

It really does raise questions regarding the AFL's 'Integrity' unit.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    No, they actually write articles praising the Cats for their 'creative' salary cap management. I heard one of the noobs on the show that follows Friday Night footy calling it 'salary cap massaging' and saying they were the best at it and yes, praising them for it.

It's seems like it's Victoria's dirty little 'open' secret and that they're actually quite proud of it.

It really does raise questions regarding the AFL's 'Integrity' unit.
    Yes, it’s crazy Stevo. It’s obvious that players receive benefits over and above their contracts- some clubs do it more and perhaps better than others. Surely the Commission is not that stupid or naive to think this doesn’t happen, so this leaves a huge question mark over any so called “Equilization” policy. If Geelong is able to do this, the Suns may as well just give up, as they will never get anywhere.

Senior Player
    Understand your idea of justice Stevo

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Understand your idea of justice Stevo
    Yep.....I do understand that the law often precludes logical conclusions.

Senior Player
    Yep.....I do understand that the law often precludes logical conclusions.
    Like you, I'm pretty much a one eyed Swans supporter. Justice system needs to be treated differently. Not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Being reported he's owed $1.6 mill over the next two seasons! We know GC has done some stupid things over the journey but how are you writing contracts for that amount for a Cairns academy product?

The footy world knows there's side deals involving property for Geelong players and that's why they attract so many players on lesser cap $ than other clubs.

The problem for the AFL is that this distorts the equalisation measures they hope will even the competition. I just don't get why GC are throwing pick 7 in with Bowes, clubs with lots of cap space would take the player and the salary for a pick less than that gem! It's either media BS or GC are truly idiots.
    For all the work of the Academies it still looks like you have to pay overs to keep them . Bowes is actually a very handy player but obviously not worth the money he is on . Sydney had to pay overs last contract for Heeney and Mills as North came in with ridiculous offers there new contracts will also be quite hefty .
    Sydney need to look into ways outside the cap like Geelong is obviously doing . Can’t help but think that Steve Hocking who at one stage was the general manager of football operations for the AFL knows how to bend the rules .
    The last few years we have lost players consistently that are walk up best 22 . We will most likely have another walk out the door this year . We can’t blame this all on Buddy’s contract as other clubs have stars on hefty contracts but are still able to add players to their system . Richmond a prime example you have to ask how the hell are they adding Taranto and Hopper to their list with the contracts of Lynch and Martin .
    They obviously have players staying for way under or have other revenue streams ala Geelong . Shai Bolton and Rioli resigning wouldn’t have come cheap .
    The only player I know of that is reportedly on unders to market value is Luke Parker . Was reported as a throw away line in an article I read during the year so not sure how much merit that would even hold .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    This is not the first time Carey has lost his gig working for a broadcaster. By his own admission he had a long time
    problem with cocaine. It's possible that 1+1 doesn't equal 2 I guess. But part of the reason people get hired by
    broadcasters is because of how they present and their reputation and the fact that their reputation will bring
    credibility to the broadcaster. So you can see how it goes both ways sometimes.
    Last edited by KTigers; 28th September 2022 at 11:32 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I guess no one needs cows on the Gold Coast?
    Well, I don't think so. Been up here for a couple days now and I am yet to see a cow. There is a magpie outside
    our room though who will not go away. Not sure if that means anything. Maybe he just needs to be fed.
    Like Jordan De Goey.
    Last edited by KTigers; 28th September 2022 at 11:59 AM.

Senior Player
    Joel Selwood retirement press conference announced.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Joel Selwood retirement press conference announced.
    They will now have an extra $100k in their salary cap. That's what Geelong pays their captain isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    They will now have an extra $100k in their salary cap. That's what Geelong pays their captain isn't it?
    That and magic beans. Some cows. Perhaps a house or two.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast