Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFLW 2022 Round 3: Sydney Swans v GWS Marn Grook 2.40pm Sat Sept 10 SGG

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Only really mentioning half the story aren't you RR?

That was last round, and the decision to not observe it was because it was also Indigenous Round. That creates clear complexity that I'm sure you can perfectly comprehend.

I can certainly understand how they came to make such a decision It was handled poorly by the AFLW, but I don't see the actual decision (the process was a mess) as being as outrageous as you want to make it out to be.

On the broader issue all I will say is - there are many great people in the world that deserve to be remembered. What we have seen the last week is how the power created by heredity and wealth allows the narrative to be controlled, and in my honest opinion the myth to be blown way out of proportion.
    I disagree mcs. She chose to put her people and a sense of duty first for the major part of her life. That is more than we can say for our political leaders and a minute’s silence is just a token of recognition. No need to raise issues that occurred centuries ago and to connect it with the indegineous round.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Queen did a great job as queen of the United Kingdom. Ridiculous in this day and age that she was our head of state. Embarrassing. I admired her as a person but there is enough over the top coverage going on that missing a minutes silence will make no difference. Not to mention the effect the British Empire had on indigenous people.
    Blood Fever, are you seriously saying that our girls playing our great game can’t bring themselves to give a minute’s silence for a woman who was respected all over the world? Let’s put politics aside for now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Blood Fever, are you seriously saying that our girls playing our great game can’t bring themselves to give a minute’s silence for a woman who was respected all over the world? Let’s put politics aside for now.
    Shouldn't be compulsory for someone who really had no effect on our country. Understand the tradition in the UK. Not relevant here IMO. Many unsung heroes who gave much greater service to this country. No minutes silence for them.

No need to raise issues that occurred centuries ago and to connect it with the indegineous round.
    The decision to not observe the minutes silence absolutely was connected to the fact it was Indigenous Round. What on earth are you on about?

And frankly, I consider your comment to be exceptionally disrepectful to the Indigenous Community. Just because you clearly hold a view they should just 'get over it' because of the passage of time, doesn't mean they have to. I can fully understand why, for many in the Indigenous community, they do not share you love of the British Monarchy and its born to rule leaders.
    Last edited by mcs; 14th September 2022 at 10:36 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

What did the Queen have to do with AFLW?? Plenty of other opportunities to commemorate her Majesty. I'm glad they are not doing a minute's silence, Indigenous round or no.

I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The decision to not observe the minutes silence absolutely was connected to the fact it was Indigenous Round. What on earth are you on about?

And frankly, I consider your comment to be exceptionally disrepectful to the Indigenous Community. Just because you clearly hold a view they should just 'get over it' because of the passage of time, doesn't mean they have to. I can fully understand why, for many in the Indigenous community, they do not share you love of the British Monarchy and its born to rule leaders.
    I don’t mean to be disrespectful to anybody. My view is that we can’t correct events in past history and therefore we need to make the most of life as we live it now. I never said “they should just get over it” but blaming the poms or anybody else for that matter is totally non productive as people living today can’t undo all the wrongs that happened in the distant past.

Otherwise where do you draw the line? Every nation on Earth was invaded at some stage- so do we all hold a grudge for the rest of our lives?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ...I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?
    I don't mind it for the finals as long as it is sung in a manner that the crowd can join in. You don't want someone that "thinks the notes in the song are just a serving suggestion".
    https://youtu.be/1W2tByqHEbE
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    What did the Queen have to do with AFLW?? Plenty of other opportunities to commemorate her Majesty. I'm glad they are not doing a minute's silence, Indigenous round or no.

I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?
    You’re missing the point bloodspirit. She was a special lady- you don’t have to be directly connected to AFL to be respected by a minute’s silence! Is that really going to offend anyone? Even people who are staunch Republicans recognise her contributions and are paying their respects. Our young ladies should have done the same.

As for playing the anthem- finals are special and the closest we can get to international matches and it helps to create the atmosphere. We’ve had it since year dot and the crowd loves it!

You’re missing the point bloodspirit. She was a special lady- you don’t have to be directly connected to AFL to be respected by a minute’s silence! Is that really going to offend anyone? Even people who are staunch Republicans recognise her contributions and are paying their respects. Our young ladies should have done the same.

As for playing the anthem- finals are special and the closest we can get to international matches and it helps to create the atmosphere. We’ve had it since year dot and the crowd loves it!
    I'm not missing your point. Possibly you're missing mine. My point is that irrespective of how special HM was there are plenty of other more appropriate fora to show respect. I can't see any reason to acknowledge formally the Queen's passing at an AFLW match any more than I do in my workplace. If she had had some special connection to the sport then I could understand the sport wishing to reciprocate the affection and acknowledge her - but she didn't - so it just doesn't seem vaguely appropriate to me.

As regards your sentiment about what "our young ladies should [do]", I don't agree either. While ER has plenty of admirers, monarchists and republicans alike, the admiration is not universal and it is not something anyone should have to feel, let alone by virtue of the fact they play AFLW.

As regards the national anthem being played at finals, I agree it adds to a sense of occasion and I don't mind it for that reason, but I see no logic to it and it feels vaguely inappropriate to me. I'm not losing sleep over it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

AFLW 2022 Round 3: Sydney Swans v GWS Marn Grook 2.40pm Sat Sept 10 SGG

Last edited by Meg; 15th September 2022 at 08:28 PM.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    We need more "commentators" like Daisy. Her insights into games and things happening around them are always insightful.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123