Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AFLW 2022 Round 3: Sydney Swans v GWS Marn Grook 2.40pm Sat Sept 10 SGG

AFLW 2022 Round 3: Sydney Swans v GWS Marn Grook 2.40pm Sat Sept 10 SGG

Brooke Lochland kicks Swans second goal after an excellent mark followed by a 50m penalty when she was held on to by the GWS defender.

Veterans List
    What a brain fade after taking a great mark.

Disappointing. Our execution of the basics leaves a lot to be desired. But there's been a nice rainbow over the ground! 🌈🌈🌈

Swans women not giving up but the difference in experience between the two teams is clear.

Q3:
    Swans 2.5 (17)
    GWS 8.6 (54)

A comprehensive win to GWS. Their players experience, skills and fitness made them too good for our new team. Lots for our women to learn.

Final score:
    Swans 2.6 (18)
    GWS 9.11 (65)

I feel like we're not a bad team - its just fitness (and giving sloppy frees)

We play with heart and do some good things but often can't get numbers to the ball making us uncompetitive for patches

I think we've got a fair way to go. But we've got some good players and I have faith in our coaches and other staff. We're going to get there. Just gotta be patient and show our support.

I've been there cheering at both our home games (and both our pre-season fixtures too). I'm looking forward to becoming competitive.

Veterans List
    Thoroughly enjoyed my first AFLW game, made more pleasant by lovely weather and an enthusiastic crowd. Giants way too good (at times, they were very good!), but no doubt we'll improve quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed my first AFLW game, made more pleasant by lovely weather and an enthusiastic crowd. Giants way too good (at times, they were very good!), but no doubt we'll improve quickly.
    I came up with my daughter and niece who's doing a convi van surfing trip around Oz from her home in Cairns.
    My niece is a very talented sportswoman having represented Qld in soccer and played some afl.
    They loved it and so did I.
    I think she's very interested now in trying out that option if AFLW
    The ladies Pavilion was open to all and the atmosphere was great...everyone just being happy and enthusiastic.
    And it was a pleasure to see all the young AFL players from maybe local teams really excited to march past and perhaps joining the AFLW in the not too distant future.
    People stayed around for ages lots of family and friends and a good vibe probably the first game for all at the SCG.
    And I saw Montana Ham looking happy and healthy on the way out...they were both impressed I knew her..my niece and daughter

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Guys, I’ve just heard the AFLW have decided NOT to observe a minute’s silence on the passing of the Queen.

This is absolutely disgusting and they should hang their heads in shame. WTF? No matter what your views are re the monarchy, the Queen was a remarkable lady who devoted her life to her people for 70 years. If you can’t show respect for such a person please don’t bother administering our great game- I’m sure the girls playing were not asked about this and if they were and agreed, they should all quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Guys, I’ve just heard the AFLW have decided NOT to observe a minute’s silence on the passing of the Queen.

This is absolutely disgusting and they should hang their heads in shame. WTF? No matter what your views are re the monarchy, the Queen was a remarkable lady who devoted her life to her people for 70 years. If you can’t show respect for such a person please don’t bother administering our great game- I’m sure the girls playing were not asked about this and if they were and agreed, they should all quit.
    Only really mentioning half the story aren't you RR?

That was last round, and the decision to not observe it was because it was also Indigenous Round. That creates clear complexity that I'm sure you can perfectly comprehend.

I can certainly understand how they came to make such a decision It was handled poorly by the AFLW, but I don't see the actual decision (the process was a mess) as being as outrageous as you want to make it out to be.

On the broader issue all I will say is - there are many great people in the world that deserve to be remembered. What we have seen the last week is how the power created by heredity and wealth allows the narrative to be controlled, and in my honest opinion the myth to be blown way out of proportion.
    Last edited by mcs; 14th September 2022 at 09:19 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Queen did a great job as queen of the United Kingdom. Ridiculous in this day and age that she was our head of state. Embarrassing. I admired her as a person but there is enough over the top coverage going on that missing a minutes silence will make no difference. Not to mention the effect the British Empire had on indigenous people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast