Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals week 2: knock yourselves out.

Finals week 2: knock yourselves out.

Not sure if I have any strong preferences on who wins the weekend's semis? In tonight's game, I can see that Brisbane winning would be beneficial for our draft pick that's tied to Melbourne. But on the other hand, we seem to have the measure of Melbourne, so if we get to the grand final, then they could be our ideal opponents? So, since I'm probably a neutral, then I hope that it's a high quality game that's enjoyable for uncommitted. The sort of game where commentators like to pontificate that, "football was the winner".

The other game, I'm possibly leaning towards Fremantle. I mean, I've had enough of the plucky Collingwood narrative, so it would be nice if they went out in straight sets. But one the other hand, seeing them knocked out next week would be a whole lot of fun. Actually, what I'm probably hoping for, is the sort of game where there's an early and flagrant bit of foul play, that turns the contest into an ugly collection of cheap shots and all in brawls. The sort of game that leaves the AFL no option, but to hand out a large number of suspensions. And the sort of game, where the only sensible opinion would be, "football was the loser, but the Swans were the winner".

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    If you asked me to answer without consideration I would go with Blions and Freo as who I would like to win.

An non Victorian GF would be great now that the game is back at it's "spiritual home"
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Daniher out to be at birth of his child.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    If you asked me to answer without consideration I would go with Blions and Freo as who I would like to win.

An non Victorian GF would be great now that the game is back at it's "spiritual home"
    I can hear the academy complaints already.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I think the Demons will win comfortably tonight and I reckon they'd beat Geelong in the PF, too. The Geelong/Collingwood game was a cracker to watch last week but I thought the Pies made the Cats look vulnerable. And for that reason, I hope Freo find a way to beat Collingwood tomorrow night. I see Collingwood as a threat. Would love, love, love to beat them in a PF but would hate, hate, hate to lose to them!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It’s hard to see Brisbane beating the Dees, and Joe being an out doesn’t help, but then there’s ….. last week. And I wouldn’t mind them winning.

I’m meh on the other game as our absolute best has them both covered.

The wine fridge is stocked, the lamb shanks are in the oven perfectly timed for half time, so bring it on.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd be more optimistic playing Collingwood in the prelim. We didn't play especially well against them a few weeks ago - our defensive efforts were great but our own ball use wasn't - but always looked comfortably in control. De Goey in the team would make them more dangerous than they were last time, but I doubt they can change their style sufficiently to make up the gap so long as we are close to our best.

Freo smashed us around clearances in the first quarter, and it was only when we switched to an entirely different style of play that we gained control of that match. They'll be ready for that next time around, and it's also a little harder to pull off on the slightly smaller SCG. So we'd have to bring far more competitive clearance work against them in a prelim. We can't even count on them being a different team away from home, as Longmuir has managed to get rid of that can't travel mentality.

A bit of rain would help against them though - we've been an awful wet weather team for the multiple decades I've followed the Swans, but the only two teams I've always been confident of beating in the wet are Freo and West Coast. Maybe they just don't get as much practice as the eastern seaboard teams. I think we've improved a little in the wet under Longmire but I'm not sure Freo have worked it out yet. It's quite remarkable how little wet weather football we've had to endure this season given how much rain has fallen this year in Sydney. Barely a quarter or so, all up, I reckon. But next Saturday (especially against Freo) might be a day to actively hope for the heavens to open.

The Dees look like they're cruising tonight, especially with ball in hand. Someone do a head count; they've got players in space everywhere! The Lions on the other hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    The Dees look like they're cruising tonight, especially with ball in hand. Someone do a head count; they've got players in space everywhere! The Lions on the other hand ...
    Maybe Brisbane will wake up, but it does have a blow out feel. Players like Jackson, Hunt and Langdon have probably had more influence, than they did in the entire game last week.

Veterans List
    Not looking good for Brisbane so far. Doesn't help when Raynor misses shots like that!

So if Melbourne win, Geelong will be playing their home Prelim on Melbourne's home ground. Just like they played their home Qualifying Final on Collingwood's home ground.

Lions have the fumbles, can’t kick straight.
    Lacking intensity . Appears an easy win for Dees.

Charlie Cameron's mark and goal seemed to give them a bit of lift at the end of the quarter. Only 15 points in it.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast