Thread: AFLW 2022 Round 4: Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide Marn Grook (part 2) 1.10pm EST Sat Sept 17 Alberton Oval

AFLW 2022 Round 4: Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide Marn Grook (part 2) 1.10pm EST Sat Sept 17 Alberton Oval

Our Swans women meet fellow new expansion team Port Adelaide Saturday afternoon at Port’s traditional home ground at Alberton. Both teams will be looking for their first win, though Port came mighty close in a drawn game with Carlton last week.

Unfortunately the Swans will be without Cynthia Hamilton for this game due to concussion sustained in last week’s match, which will mean the we lose some speed out of the midfield. Montana Ham is said to be recovering remarkably well from her knee injury but probably won’t yet be available to play.

While our women have started well in matches, to date they have faded as games have gone on. We will be looking for a more even effort across the full match.

The time slot of 1.10pm EST makes this good TV warm-up viewing before our men’s prelim final later in the day.

I will post the women’s team selection when it is announced.

In the meantime, coach Scott Gowan’s press conference videos on the Swans site are worth watching. He is very open and realistic about both positives and negatives of the team’s performances while also being very encouraging about the future for this team.

The AFLW matches this week are the second part of the women’s indigenous round so I expect our women will again wear a Swans indigenous jumper.
    Last edited by Meg; 16th September 2022 at 06:34 PM.

Wow! Montana Ham is back, great news.

Number one draft pick Montana Ham returns to the team after recovering from a knee strain sustained in Round 1 and Sarah Ford, Sarah Skinner and Jaide Anthony come in.

Jaide Anthony will make her first AFLW appearance after recovering from a thigh injury. Jaide is a proud Palawa woman and will be one of two Indigenous players in the team (alongside Aliesha Newman) to run out in the Swans Marn Grook guernsey.

Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide 1.10pm EST Sat Sept 17 Alberton Oval

B: Brenna Tarrant, Jaide Anthony
    HB: Molly Eastman, Lexi Hamilton, Ella Heads
    C: Lisa Steane, Lauren Szigeti, Sofia Hurley
    HF: Aliesha Newman, Rebecca Privitelli, Brooke Lochland
    F: Montana Ham, Ally Morphett
    Foll: Bella Smith, Paige Sheppard, Sarah Ford
    Int: Gen Lawson Tavan, Bridie Kennedy, Alana Woodward, Sarah Dargan, Sarah Skinner
    Emg: Kate Reynolds, Kiara Beesley, Zoe Hurrell

INS: Montana Ham, Jaide Anthony, Sarah Ford, Sarah Skinner

OUTS: Tiarne Cavanagh (omitted), Kate Reynolds (omitted) Cynthia Hamilton (injured/concussion protocols), Eliza Vale (omitted)

The match starts at 12.40pm local time (1.10pm AEST) and will be broadcast live on Fox Footy, Kayo and 7Mate in NSW and South Australia

Tomorrow is one of our few chances to maybe get a win this season, but port played very well last week so will be a stern test.

Awesome that Ham is back, shame about Hamilton who has been great so far.

I hope the ladies can show more consistency and stay in the contest for more of the game tomorrow.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Wow! Montana Ham is back, great news.

Number one draft pick Montana Ham returns to the team after recovering from a knee strain sustained in Round 1 ...
    That is good news, hopefully she is fully recovered and can play out the game
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Not a great start (that's an understatement...), Ham definitely looks the goods though. When she was on she looks our best player. Our ruckman is pretty handy in the contest's too. Other than that, pretty ordinary so far.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

And Kellie Underwood commentating.... "Right on the 3 quarter time siren!" At quarter time....

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Bit of a lapse there by Ham, giving an easy mark to a much smaller player, and it ended up being a goal soon after.

Senior Player
    Port are getting a run on now, 7 goals in a row :/

Veterans List
    It's a disappointing performance considering we are playing another new team.

Did you know that Erin Phillips is playing today? I wouldn't have known if I wasn't reminded every 10 seconds 😏.

Senior Player
    The commentary was extremely pro Port.

I did like their club song being sung in the local Aboriginal language as part of the Indigenous round.

Hope to hear our song in roughly three and a half hours from now!