Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Final - Saturday 24 September, 2:30 PM at MCG

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Haven’t seen the replay yet so my memory is blurred by my poor vantage point on the night, but what were the 3 goals you are referring to
    Was one of them where Ollie's kick got partially smothered?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I would love Paul Kelly to present the cup if we win
    Why not Warwick Caper!!

That would add some entertainment value!
    doof-doof

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I haven't seen Gould play but is it too wild to suggest he comes in and we split the dynamic duo to push a McCartin forward(ish)?
    Although that suggestion doesn't help Hickey out
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    On Friday, the Magpies were gifted 3 goals when Swan defenders decided not to rush a behind when it looked very much as if that would be the safer thing to do - not even Stevic would penalised any of them.
    I think it'd be a good thing if the defensive coordinator gives our backs a little revision in this area.
    As I said during the match, we seem to have been spooked by some past decisions....into trying to keep the ball in play. This is wrong......and your assertion is right.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    As for the McLean/Amarty debate, I don't have strong opinions but tend to lean towards McLean. Reid does a lot of important things - goal or two a game, strong marking between the 50 and the wings, second ruck, and lots of scrambling second and third efforts. Amarty probably has the last two covered better due to his athleticism and mobility, but I'd argue the first two are Reid's most important contributions to our structure and my gut tells me that's where McLean's strengths fall. And against a defence that has such marking prowess as Geelong, having a big body to keep them occupied will be crucial.

It's a hell of a choice, and if he's out, we will miss Reid dearly.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That would be a risk. But they could go with either McLean or Amartey in McDonald's place so that if Reid weren't able to complete the match, they have some ruck relief available for Hickey. McDonald helped out a little bit yesterday but it's not really ideal for him at this stage of his career. Would be very tough on McDonald but having a big man as sub could be dangerous if a smaller player needed to be subbed out.
    What we could do if Reid doesn't come up is leave Campbell in the 22 and replace McDonald with Amartey, with McDonald as the sub.

I don't think we need to have 3 tall forwards against Geelong, who will just suck up everything that comes into their defence through the air. Amartey can back up in the ruck. McDonald will get a medal, even if not substituted in, although I would think both subs will get to play in a GF, just to replace a tiring player.

If a smaller man gets injured, McDonald coming in would just get us back to our usual structure.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It may not have come through on the telecast, but it seemed Logan was very much playing his role even if he didn't get a lot of touches. He ran himself into the ground in the second half creating space and providing a marking option.

We have to pick the best team to win the game on Saturday, but I imagine it would be devastating to drop a young guy who has played 17/24 games and the last 5 straight.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    I think they'll select McClean in the likely scenario that Reid doesn't get up.

His contested marking and ability to work up and down the ground is probably the most like for like with Reid. It's unfortunate that he's sub par as a second ruck, I can't understand why that area of his game hasn't been worked on more

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Win please . This might be the last flag i ever see. Hope not . We are in a good place
    I'm not sure if you mean last Swans' flag or the last flag period but, either way, it sounds like you are staring mortality in the face. Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping you get to see a whole bunch of extra Swans' flag as we enjoy a dynasty period (and led me throw in a Chad Brownlow to really warm your cockles - and maybe even a Rowbottom Brownlow the following season to warm the rest of our cockles).

To be honest, while I definitely want at least one flag from this group, it's great just to be contending, developing, competing and showing great bloods heart and spirit. A dynasty isn't especially where it's at for me.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The swans v pies prelim was the real grand final. Geelong are way overrated and have had an incredibly soft run, and with everyone over 30, they will barely stay with us in the first half.

All things point to going in hot favourite, although Reid's absence makes it slightly less so.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, the flag is ours to lose.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean last Swans' flag or the last flag period but, either way, it sounds like you are staring mortality in the face. Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping you get to see a whole bunch of extra Swans' flag as we enjoy a dynasty period (and led me throw in a Chad Brownlow to really warm your cockles - and maybe even a Rowbottom Brownlow the following season to warm the rest of our cockles).

To be honest, while I definitely want at least one flag from this group, it's great just to be contending, developing, competing and showing great bloods heart and spirit. A dynasty isn't especially where it's at for me.
    You never know when your next will be your last . I was there in 70. We were so hopeful , we partied into the early hours .We were bottom the year after ! Things can change quickly , you need to take your opportunities when they are there . Maybe we will

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You never know when your next will be your last . I was there in 70. We were so hopeful , we partied into the early hours .We were bottom the year after ! Things can change quickly , you need to take your opportunities when they are there . Maybe we will
    Lost in the first semi final to St Kilda in 1970

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast