Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Final - Saturday 24 September, 2:30 PM at MCG

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Lost in the first semi final to St Kilda in 1970
    Didnt i just say i was there

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Yep, Norm Smith got us there. I think it was Skilt’s first and only final! Disliked StKilda ever since😊

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If you need a bit of light relief to get you through the nerves and have any Geelong friends, try this.

I just messaged a Cats mate and said I'd heard whispers of who was coming in if Sam Reid was out. He asked who. I sent him a photo of Nick Davis.

A string of expletives came back.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    You were referring to flags and Grand Finals, not semis.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    If you need a bit of light relief to get you through the nerves and have any Geelong friends, try this.

I just messaged a Cats mate and said I'd heard whispers of who was coming in if Sam Reid was out. He asked who. I sent him a photo of Nick Davis.

A string of expletives came back.
    Excellent , bc we don’t want a defensive balls up, we want play attacking footy for the majority of the four quarters like Davis.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    You were referring to flags and Grand Finals, not semis.
    i was talking about being in with a chance . Finals felt like a pipe dream back then . All of a sudden we are in one , we have reason to believe , and its snuffed quickly and we dont get back again for some time . You have to take your chances when they come . I dont take them for granted as i know every finals appearance could be our last .

i was talking about being in with a chance . Finals felt like a pipe dream back then . All of a sudden we are in one , we have reason to believe , and its snuffed quickly and we dont get back again for some time . You have to take your chances when they come . I dont take them for granted as i know every finals appearance could be our last .
    having been a fan since the 70's you are very right. My daughters don't know how lucky they are!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The swans v pies prelim was the real grand final. Geelong are way overrated and have had an incredibly soft run, and with everyone over 30, they will barely stay with us in the first half.

All things point to going in hot favourite, although Reid's absence makes it slightly less so.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, the flag is ours to lose.
    Well Barry, you are considerably more bullish that anyone else on here.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Well Barry, you are considerably more bullish that anyone else on here.
    Its simple logic. Geelong are the same team as last year, but a year older. They have the same structural problems, and only a soft draw has got the to the top of the ladder. Check out their last 6 games of the H&A. They only played 1 other finalist (a wiltering Melbourne) since round 15* (Dogs fell into 8th, so I'm not counting them).

And they got to play West Coast and North twice. Thats 4 games (16 points) gifted!

I mean, I'm glad to be under-dog in the media, but no one remotely associated with the swans, even us fans, shouldnt believe we arent in a bloody great spot to add another flag to the trophy cabinet.

And look at the ladder against other top 8 sides before finals.

1. Sydney. W4, L2
    2. Collingwood. W4, L2
    3. Geelong W4, L3 (Lost to Sydney)
    4. Freo W5, L5
    5. Brisbane W3, L3
    6. Melbourne W3, L4
    7. Richmod W3, D1, L5
    8. FairyPups W4, L6

The wins and losses of this finals series have pretty much followed this ladder. No team has beaten anyone more than 1 place above them.
    Last edited by barry; 19th September 2022 at 04:02 PM.

Alright how do you beat Geelong?
    As been mentioned by Matthew Lloyd you can't beat them in the air in their back half they got too many tall timbers so you have to lower your eyes and kick it short.
    Any other strategy?
    I'm thinking Swans should take turns bashing (legally) Patrick Dangerfield to tire him out like Geelong did to Brisbane's main man Lachie Neale.

There's no predicting what will happen in the GF.

Brisbane came out flat against Geelong and got smashed. We came out flat in 2014 and got smashed. That's the first hurdle to get over. But let's assume both teams come out and play a strong game.

If you look at the game we just played against Collingwood, there were so many freakish plays that turned on such minor things, a slip at the wrong time, a missed tackle, a fingertip touch.

Then there's the goal kicking accuracy. Who can say how that's going to go. Collingwood stayed in the game by kicking 7 straight. We missed a lot of easy ones and they missed a fair few after the 7-0 run.

And of course there's the umpiring. There were plenty of big calls in the PF going each way and plenty of non calls as well.

Geelong are rightly warm favourites. Both teams a coming into the game on long winning streaks.

I'm far less nervous going into this game than the PF. I hope it's a good contest and a well played game and can accept that whoever wins, it was deserving and without recriminations, like 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Alright how do you beat Geelong?
    As been mentioned by Matthew Lloyd you can't beat them in the air in their back half they got too many tall timbers so you have to lower your eyes and kick it short.
    Any other strategy?
    I'm thinking Swans should take turns bashing (legally) Patrick Dangerfield to tire him out like Geelong did to Brisbane's main man Lachie Neale.
    Compared to Melbourne (Lever and May), and Collingwood (Moore and Howe), Geelong is comparitively weak in the defensive intercept marking department. We just need to put a very hard defensive tag on Stewart.

Our defense is perfectly matched against their forward line with McCartin twin towers and Rampe. Our ruckman will dominate, and we have a stronger midfield (They may have by reputation, but its seriously slowing down).

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast