Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Most ranking lists have him around the early/mid 20's, right around the Dogs pick 21 (22/23/24).

If every team has interviewed him, it shows how widely clubs look each draft given a number of clubs don't have picks anywhere near that area of the draft.

You'll be hoping we strike with pick 17 (18/19/20) eh gloveski? Keep us updated if you hear of further interviews, like Horse dropping in to see him :-)
    As much as I would like the Swans to select him I think Liz covers it off pretty well with her reply we have a few similar types on our list.
    I do think long term he will be a midfielder. He reminds me a lot of mills , but quicker, just not the footy IQ that Mills has . Fair to say though not many do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    As much as I would like the Swans to select him I think Liz covers it off pretty well with her reply we have a few similar types on our list.
    I do think long term he will be a midfielder. He reminds me a lot of mills , but quicker, just not the footy IQ that Mills has . Fair to say though not many do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He is also from Tassie and an article in the HUN today mentioned him and said the new Tassie team would likely be targeting home grown established talent.

Senior Player
    Always weary of drafting Tasmanians, particularly onballers, most of their higher rated players in the last 10 years have proven to be busts

On a separate note, good luck getting a team going there with a view of attracting local talent as a foundation, there isn't much there

Draft hopefuls put to the test at Combines (afl.com.au)

The previously unheard-of Baxter Philip's all-round excellent testing results catch the eye (at the WA State Combine). Philip appears to be an onballer who hasn't gotten that much ball - albeit when played in the seniors - his record in Colts is somewhat better: Baxter Philip | WAFL. That said he's only 181 cm and 61 kg. Plenty of room to bulk up and then who knows? I'll keep an eye out to see whether he gets drafted/rookied when the drafts happen. Comes from the same club as Connor McDonald, Logan's brother.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Draft hopefuls put to the test at Combines (afl.com.au)

The previously unheard-of Baxter Philip's all-round excellent testing results catch the eye (at the WA State Combine). Philip appears to be an onballer who hasn't gotten that much ball - albeit when played in the seniors - his record in Colts is somewhat better: Baxter Philip | WAFL. That said he's only 181 cm and 61 kg. Plenty of room to bulk up and then who knows? I'll keep an eye out to see whether he gets drafted/rookied when the drafts happen. Comes from the same club as Connor McDonald, Logan's brother.
    Light enough to be going over the jumps in Victoria. That's one skinny kid.

How about using our pick 42 (which should come in to within pick 40 by the time Brisbane matches bids for Ashcroft etc.) on Anthony Munkara?

Anthony Munkara Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    How about using our pick 42 (which should come in to within pick 40 by the time Brisbane matches bids for Ashcroft etc.) on Anthony Munkara?

Anthony Munkara Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central)
    Pick 40 will be the last pick that can't be matched for NGA prospects. From 41 on, clubs can match for NGA's. There will be a number of picks extinguished by matching, Ashcroft, Fletcher by Brisbane, one of the Davey twins by Essendon and Michalenny by the Cows, Which picks and how many is the unknown and by matching an extra pick is created at that point before the extinguishing starts.

I'd like Ashcroft to be bid on at pick 1, as picks currently stand for Brisbane, it would extinguish 6-7 picks! and send then into 2023 deficit matching Fletcher late in the first round.

It seems fairly safe to assume that our pick will still finish up inside 40, assuming we are still holding it.

I thought about Munkara as well when we had our original 2nd round pick. Then I wondered if we would take an indigenous player that didn't come out of our academy. We have drafted a couple of the greatest indigenous players in Goodes and MOL, but since Goodes in 1997, we have only drafted 1 indigenous player who has gone on to become a regular in the senior side, which was Jetta in 2009.

We rarely draft indigenous players. Just one successful pick in the last 24 years shows our reluctance to take on the risks associated with indigenous players, especially since most come from out of state. Even Jetta requested a trade home. The Elijah Taylor experience must further sour our view in selecting indigenous players in the draft.

The continuing racial vilification of indigenous players further adds to the risks. It's very unfair since the players are the victims of the vilification and also reduces their football employment opportunities because of the disruptive nature it brings. Like AG was the victim of vilification, but was a continuous disruption to both player and the club. The AFL should really be doing more in this space.

I was hoping we would choose Isaac Keeler in this draft. He seems the perfect fit on a needs basis, being a Paddy Ryder type player, but wonder if being a South Australian indigenous player will rule him out.

I don't think the Swans are a racist club, but we do discriminate. At least the numbers say so.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 19th October 2022 at 12:22 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    There’s so much about the post above that horrifies me - mostly that indigenous players can or should be considered as a distinct group, rather than assessed individually on their own merits.

If it in anyway resembles our club’s attitude towards drafting I am doubly horrified.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There’s so much about the post above that horrifies me - mostly that indigenous players can or should be considered as a distinct group, rather than assessed individually on their own merits.

If it in anyway resembles our club’s attitude towards drafting I am doubly horrified.
    It was a deeply disappointing post.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Agree on this point, Liz. We should resist steroe typing people based on background. Some Anglo background players recruited to clubs end up being trouble makers eg De Goey and many others don't. Just like any other ethnic grouping. Goodes was no trouble maker and same for Micky O.

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast