Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I seem to recall you were keen on Jy Simpkin too - or was that a different poster?
    I did like Jy Simpkin, but he was injured early in the year and hardly played, so I thought Ollie was the safe choice. In any case, I suspect Jy would have gone top 5 except for the injury. Jy has the edge so far, but Ollie made a strong comeback this year and has closed the gap.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Cyril Rioli #bigsigh. And to think what he ended up on the end of… we were supposedly doing him a favor. We didn’t back our system and we should have.
    He’d made it clear he wasn’t leaving Melbourne. Draft tampering.

My solution to all the players who let it slip they don’t want to leave their home state when drafted is …

Restrict them to the mid-season draft

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Need to keep in mind that part of the problem over the past few years was the next gen "academy" system set up for the victorian clubs in response to the northern academies basically gave those clubs first rights over indigenous kids from zones across Australia. That scooping of top tier talent along with the ability to offer private schooling in melbourne with top schools would have pretty much depleted the remaining market of talented kids.
    Tarryn Thomas grew up in Campbelltown, before moving to Tassie at 12 and being scooped up by North. But before moving South he had already been spotted and signed up for development by the Penrith Panthers - which suggests to me that the Swans academy/NGA will need to compete against the NRL clubs for indigenous talent. Something clubs from the football states wouldn't have to face.
    Perhaps that might affect the Swans numbers a little?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 21st October 2022 at 07:32 AM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see this initiative from the Swans Academy being promoted online, which I think may have been referenced in an earlier post.

Sydney Swans First Nations Academy
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Interesting to see this initiative from the Swans Academy being promoted online, which I think may have been referenced in an earlier post.

Sydney Swans First Nations Academy
    And already on Social Media people are complaining that it's just for First Nation people. The club can't win!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    My solution to all the players who let it slip they don’t want to leave their home state when drafted is …

Restrict them to the mid-season draft
    You cant stop people indicating where they want to go. But you can put compensating controls. Easiest is expanded salary cap for at risk clubs.
    But you must tie it to the cause.
    So while COLA (cost of living allowance) was a thing. This should be called the CEFGHF (Cap extension for go home factor). Simple qualification is if your city does not produce more than 50% of your list.

Hard to challenge that.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You cant stop people indicating where they want to go. But you can put compensating controls. Easiest is expanded salary cap for at risk clubs.
    But you must tie it to the cause.
    So while COLA (cost of living allowance) was a thing. This should be called the CEFGHF (Cap extension for go home factor). Simple qualification is if your city does not produce more than 50% of your list.

Hard to challenge that.
    Would Eddie Maguire approve of the CEFGHF? He'd want it to include Geelong Falcons as not Victorian!

Needs to be a sliding scale given you more in the cap for the more out of towners you have.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    .The Vic clubs whinge about extra teams spreading the talent too thinly, then whinge when the Northern clubs demonstrate they are expanding the draft pool by drafting some local kid instead of a VicMetroMilksop.

Much better all round if the AFL boosted the discount when it comes to match bids at draft time, and gave each northern club 2 extra rookie spots for local kids, whose salary lies outside the cap.

And while I'm wishing on a star, maybe all game development activities (clinics etc.) engaged in by the players in the northern states could be put outside the cap too.
    Perhaps 10% of the players salaries? "Honestly Eddie, it's not COLA by stealth - promise."

In short I reckon encouraging more local players in the northern markets rather than fiddling the cap to help with imports - which seems a bit retrograde - would be nice he better long term solution.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 22nd October 2022 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He’d made it clear he wasn’t leaving Melbourne. Draft tampering.
    I know but I really believe that if we had drafted home he would have been happy at Sydney….certainly look like it in hindsight. I thought at the time that we should have backed ourselves in.

Ed Allen was interviewed on SEN: The two contrasting players son-of-a-gun draft prospect bases his game on

He about the same size as Blakey now and says he's and inside mid or wingman. He sounds like a nice composed kid. He did really well in the time trials.

He should be in line to go at the back end of the first round as a bolter in the draft.

I wonder why Beatson said he wasn't impressed with out part of the first round. I think it's chuck full of good prospects, with some tall mids and plenty of defenders.

I think it's likely at some time, perhaps even next season, the med sub will be dropped for a 5 man interchange bench. This will make a second ruckman or forward rucks more likely to play senior games. That's just one more reason I hope we seriously consider Isaac Keeler with our first pick. I doubt he will get past Collingwood, who pick just before our 2nd pick. He seems even a more perfect fit for them, especially after losing Grundy.

I would be very happy to pick up Keeler and Allen with our 2 first rounders.

I also wonder if the delay on further delistings is due to negotiations on trading up in the draft. The most likely club in a trade would be with Essendon for pick 4, which means it will go down to the wire if it is still under consideration. Personally, I would prefer our 2 picks in the first round.

No chance Essendon will trade pick 4 for 14 & 17. We'd have to throw in a future pick as well to get the deal done. I see more chances of us trading one of our first rounders out to get an extra pick next year.

I'd be happy to draft either Allen or Keeler, but Hustwaite looks a better bet at our first pick if he's still on the board.

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast