Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    No chance Essendon will trade pick 4 for 14 & 17. We'd have to throw in a future pick as well to get the deal done. I see more chances of us trading one of our first rounders out to get an extra pick next year.

I'd be happy to draft either Allen or Keeler, but Hustwaite looks a better bet at our first pick if he's still on the board.
    I think Keeler will be gone by 17 because Collingwood would take him, but one of Allen and Hustwaite should be available at that pick. I don't think we would take 2 tall mids in the draft, so we could go Keeler at 14 and either Allen or Hustwaite at 17.

There may still be some pick shuffling before the draft, so it's all just speculation for now.

Adelaide have traded down in the draft, so Keeler must realise that he is not staying in SA.

Listening to a podcast this morning with two "draft experts" they implied that Keeler has drifted down the draft boards of many of the commentators to mid 20's -at least -one said 30's
    I have not seen the data myself but apparently his 2km and 20m sprint numbers in the combine were poor

These same commentators were talking about Allen being a draft bolter somewhere in the top 20

Also been thinking upon the First Nations issue as well that apart from Elijah Taylor we have not drafted any young indigenous players for some time and agree it is something the swans need to look at and hope that they are doing somethiung to address this with the iFirst Nations academy

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Ed Allen was interviewed on SEN: The two contrasting players son-of-a-gun draft prospect bases his game on

He about the same size as Blakey now and says he's and inside mid or wingman. He sounds like a nice composed kid. He did really well in the time trials.

He should be in line to go at the back end of the first round as a bolter in the draft.

I wonder why Beatson said he wasn't impressed with out part of the first round. I think it's chuck full of good prospects, with some tall mids and plenty of defenders.

I think it's likely at some time, perhaps even next season, the med sub will be dropped for a 5 man interchange bench. This will make a second ruckman or forward rucks more likely to play senior games. That's just one more reason I hope we seriously consider Isaac Keeler with our first pick. I doubt he will get past Collingwood, who pick just before our 2nd pick. He seems even a more perfect fit for them, especially after losing Grundy.

I would be very happy to pick up Keeler and Allen with our 2 first rounders.

I also wonder if the delay on further delistings is due to negotiations on trading up in the draft. The most likely club in a trade would be with Essendon for pick 4, which means it will go down to the wire if it is still under consideration. Personally, I would prefer our 2 picks in the first round.
    Kinnear always plays the curmudgeon in pre draft interviews. But there is also a view from other draft watchers that the two years of limited footy from COVID is being felt most in this year’s draft as it hurt their development and it’s the most hit and miss since 2016.

As for Allen, he seems a real risk-reward type. But he clearly has real explosive power and an enormous upside if it goes right.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    I'm all in for Ed Allen, good fit for us and lots of upside.

Keeler was never a top 20 pick and has drifted since then. Interesting Crows are making no attempt to draft him before/if he becomes NGA available for them after pick 40.

BF boards seem to suggest we're looking to trade up to get Bailey Humphrey a late bolter fwd/mid but that could be various boards all feeding off the one piece of speculation. A lot of confusion as to the draft and player order, five weeks more speculation, 37 sleeps to go LOL!

KB is well known for subterfuge. We could trade up or we could have a number of likely targets at our pair of picks and simply tick off who has slipped to us.

I'd happily trade up for for Humphrey. Dalrymple told Humphrey we'd take him if he were still there at our first pick (which we're obviously not expecting).

Keeler allegedly doesn’t have the tank to ever play in the ruck.

Some talk Barnett is a better ruck option.

I’m excited about the country footballer we might draft, Joe Richards

No Cookies | Herald Sun

AFL Draft Combine 2022: Schoolteacher Joe Richards called up | CODE Sports

Never heard of him. How many little guys can we afford to take? I'm not sold based on that snippet.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Keeler allegedly doesn’t have the tank to ever play in the ruck.
    This is often the reason why aboriginal players drop down the draft rankings. They don't put the time into some parts of their development, so recruiters are uncertain how they will go at AFL level.

Shai Bolton was spectacular in 2016, but he was a showboat, and still is. There were questions about his work ethic. But look how he's turned into such a star.

We don't often get high draft picks, so we want to use them wisely. I can't disagree with our conservative drafting policy, but it's also a reason why we don't draft many aboriginal players.

Trying to project how 18 year olds will go in the future is not easy. It's a tough gig being a recruiter.

I still think we cut Abe Davis too soon.

Regular in the Side
    chris doerre (espn,bigfooty) phantom drafta couple of days ago. Ist pickmatched by Lions,second pick mayched bydons, then finally henry hustwaite, then oli hotton and finally james van es at 42. seems like a good spread but i would take Ed Allen instead of hotton. 2 bigger mids to help with JK retirement. These 3 plus Francis would leave us with 37 on main list (i think)
    Rookies curently 7 , upgrade McLean, Mccartin and Fox, dongrade Bell, Mellican and Naismith or delsit him Not sure he will recover completely like AJ.

Big fan of Ed Allen thought he might of snuck through to our third pick but not a chance now . Huge risk reward but just the pedigree itself is worth the risk I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    i have us with 34 on main list (incl francis but with wicks still a rookie) Rookie at 7, with wicks, mclean,mccartin and fox all needing upgrades. Perhaps naismith needs to be downgraded of delisted. Still too manmy assummuing we take 4 in drafdt. Can someone with more knowledgfe than me tell me what the real numbers are?
    You can have up to 38 on the Primary list. Up to 6 rookies to a total of 42. Hall-Khan, Fox, Sheather, McCartin, McLean & Wicks are our Rookies. I thought Free Agents went directly onto the Primary List. Plus the contract status page is not showing Paddy as a Rookie. They are all Category A except Sheather. Fox needs to come off the list and be upgraded. We will draft 3. Do there is your 4. But several players might yet be delisted.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftone57; 23rd October 2022 at 02:09 PM.

I wonder if we will use a Cat B spot on an academy player.

Angus Anderson played for the Allies as an over-aged big bodied inside midfielder.

Will Edwards also played a few games for the Allies as an over-aged key defender. He seems a good size at 197cm 100kg.

Both positions we could use a bit of depth and develop a local player for the long term.

Kaelan Bradtke a 21yo key forward who tested at the state combine also played a few games for our VFL side. But I am not sure we could use a Cat B spot on him.
    Last edited by SeanM; 23rd October 2022 at 05:00 PM.

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast