Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Regular in the Side
    Aaron Francis was pick 6 in 2015 and has had seven years as the laziest defender in the club with the crappiest defence to make his mark in AFL. Would having Francis in our 22 that played in the Grand Final mad a difference? Maybe we would have lost by a couple more goals. Move to Sydney might be very good for Francis but doubt it will be of much benefit to Sydney though he might be useful in the VFL where there is much less pressure. I wish him all the best for his move to Sydney and hope that I am wrong and that it works out well. I do not expect him to be Ted Richards Mk II though.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Aaron Francis was pick 6 in 2015 and has had seven years as the laziest defender in the club with the crappiest defence to make his mark in AFL. ....
    Watch a lot of Bombers games?
    One of my mates is a mad bombers fan is disappointed to see him leave, didn't think Essendon played him to his strengths. Then again, this mate also thought it would be good to get Hird back as coach so ....
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Here's a SEN interview of Isaac Keeler. There's a bit of praise from the interviewers after the conversation, when he is compared to Luke Jackson as the kind of player who can play forward and in the ruck. He knows that he's going interstate and says that's okay.

He's drifting out on some draft boards, particularly on Cal Twomey's, but I can't help but like this guy. Seems like a really good fit for us as a long term prospect, plus he is very likely to be available in our part of the draft. This doesn't happen all that often for us, in part due to using early draft picks to match bids on quality academy players.

He's very much a Paddy Ryder type of player. Unless there's something wrong with him, like competitiveness issues, we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to draft this kind of player. It could be a long time before the opportunity arises again.

Why Crows chose against nominating draft prospect under NGA rules

Aaron Francis was pick 6 in 2015 and has had seven years as the laziest defender in the club with the crappiest defence to make his mark in AFL. Would having Francis in our 22 that played in the Grand Final mad a difference? Maybe we would have lost by a couple more goals. Move to Sydney might be very good for Francis but doubt it will be of much benefit to Sydney though he might be useful in the VFL where there is much less pressure. I wish him all the best for his move to Sydney and hope that I am wrong and that it works out well. I do not expect him to be Ted Richards Mk II though.
    Will be very interesting in 12 months time to see how this selection pans out . I’ve seen enough in Essendon games to think it was a savvy selection . Last chance saloon for him I hope he makes the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Will be very interesting in 12 months time to see how this selection pans out . I’ve seen enough in Essendon games to think it was a savvy selection . Last chance saloon for him I hope he makes the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The upside is there. He may end up being another Jackson Thurlow rather than Ted Richards. The review of Essendon recently completely completely trashed their training and fitness programs. Francis has ability. There is no doubt about that. I reckon he is a decent chance to be a completely different player under our program. If it doesn't work out then I suspect we've chewed up stuff all salary cap and stuff all draft currency.

Veterans List
    No one expected Ted Richards to end up being the much loved Ted Richards Mk 1 when he arrived either. Give Francis a chance.....don't write him off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    No one expected Ted Richards to end up being the much loved Ted Richards Mk 1 when he arrived either. Give Francis a chance.....don't write him off yet.
    I'm sure no one expected Tommy Hickey to have the impact he has

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It’s up to Francis to get himself fit enough to play the role, but the one Dawson played as a intercept and release player down back in the first half of 2021 needs to be what he’s targeting. The guy is a good mark and skilled kick, but he needs the physical assets to go with it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I'm the first to raise my hand to that one. So glad to be wrong. Hickey has been a wonderful player for us. Hoping that Francis follows the Hickey trend.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It’s up to Francis to get himself fit enough to play the role, but the one Dawson played as a intercept and release player down back in the first half of 2021 needs to be what he’s targeting. The guy is a good mark and skilled kick, but he needs the physical assets to go with it.
    We've had success with this type of player in the past. I wouldn't be banking any chances on him but I'm hopeful he can fulfil a role for us. I'd suggest that if he can replicate a Dawson type role that would be the ultimate scenario. Instilling physicality has pretty much been our strong suit. If that's a major step he needs to improve on for him to succeed then he's worth a shot considering what we've got him for.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Hagan & Jones are 175 & 178cm mid and defender. We have a lot of players in this range, 170-180. What we do need is a taller, strong mid and and mid size defender, or another tall defender. We also need another ruck.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    I totally agree with this assessment, WT.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Actually no, there was a minority, an unheralded and belittled minority that thought at the time he was a good selection.
    And referring to that minority at this point as "no one" - that's just doubling down.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 11th November 2022 at 05:58 PM.