Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

This is interesting. We have 14 Victorians on our list. Eight of those are from Vic Metro & 6 from Vic Country. In the '90's, pre the Academy, there would have been few NSW players. Today there are 11 and recently as many as 13 with Bell and Naismith being delisted. My point is we no longer rely on Vic talent to fill our list. There are players from all states. In Eade & Roos time we picked up far more players from SA & WA. Mattner, Fosdyke, Mickey O etc. Now we have Hayward, Gould, Stephens, Ladhams, Roberts and from WA Warner x 2, Mcdonald, Buddy, Sheldrick. We even have 1 Qld, Hickey and 1 TAS, Fox. So, we are not reliant on Victorians and only draft those who show a resilliance and lack of Go Home factor.

The Go Home Factor cuts your draft pool down incredibly.​ If a player displays tendencies to go home the Swans will ignore him. Same with all the interstate clubs. I am sure there are several player who miss out first time who were overlooked by interstate clubs because of this. Some of the Victorian clubs will tell a player, if you get picked up by an interstate club we will trade for you in two years. This is a disgrace but it happens.

Our squad has 23 players from states outside Victoria. NSW 11, SA 5, WA 5, Qld 1 & TAS 1. Only 14 Victorians,of which 6 are from Vic Country. One has historical links to the Swans. Another has an uncle who has played AFL footy for Richmond & Collingwood. Another's Uncle was a Swans player and his father played for 2 clubs. So less go home factor. We have also picked players who have either boarded at a school or have lived with the expectation of being drafted interstate.

I think our drafting strategy and vetting has been very good, except Dawson. I don't think anyone saw that coming. But I always say when a politician tells you something is sure you go the opposite way. I think Jordan may end up a career politician. Lol. We have managed to retain prime targets of the former VFL teams, like Parker, Florent etc.

I hope we continue drafting players with an expectation of moving interstate.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Just a small paragraph in this article stating the Swans have been looking at packaging our two first rounders to move up but looks unlikely

Brisbane Lions, North Melbourne Kangaroos in pick swap talks as clubs assess draft hands

They’ve been saying that since the end of the trade period.

I’m sure a lot will happen during the draft, so you never know what picks / players we might end up with?

Senior Player
    So much depends on 14 ish picks before us (depending on bids), and then for Kessler, he is sounding unlikely - if we are hoping to pick him with our 42, I am sure 33-41 (less then Brisbane picks used up for Ashcroft) would be looking at him closely too.

I think we will be surprised with who Beatson picks. Sure Logan and Campbell were obvious, but most of the pundits here did not have him picking Gus, or Stephens.

I wonder if we will move one of our picks into next year again?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    So much depends on 14 ish picks before us (depending on bids), and then for Kessler, he is sounding unlikely - if we are hoping to pick him with our 42, I am sure 33-41 (less then Brisbane picks used up for Ashcroft) would be looking at him closely too.

I think we will be surprised with who Beatson picks. Sure Logan and Campbell were obvious, but most of the pundits here did not have him picking Gus, or Stephens.
    Not having a dig here, but not even Logan was obvious. Most draft pundits had us going for Grainger-Barass (sp?). Sydney clearly don't talk in detail to these people, and good on them for not doing so.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Not having a dig here, but not even Logan was obvious. Most draft pundits had us going for Grainger-Barass (sp?). Sydney clearly don't talk in detail to these people, and good on them for not doing so.
    There was an expectation, though, that McDonald would be taken before Sydney's pick.
    Last edited by liz; 16th November 2022 at 09:25 AM.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    That is what I recall too. North went nuts and Sydney suddenly had access to Logan. The pundits predictions were based on a sane selection from North.

I've kind of heard a little news indicating that as long as the club doesn't see an opportunity for a similar style of player arise in one of the upcoming drafts that Bell might be re-rookied. Just saying

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I've kind of heard a little news indicating that as long as the club doesn't see an opportunity for a similar style of player arise in one of the upcoming drafts that Bell might be re-rookied. Just saying
    If true, not the worst decision in case of a run of bad injuries. Seasoned and strong bodied.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Seasoned and strong bodied.
    Like a roast turkey.
    I'd prefer to take Ronke, Matt Ling or Mutaz El-Nour, if it came down to the rookie draft.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Like a roast turkey.
    I'd prefer to take Ronke, Matt Ling or Mutaz El-Nour, if it came down to the rookie draft.

Bird looks tough to eat!